A sign from the past

txtom

Who would have guessed that, almost 30 years after Pan American closed, that this sign still exists?

This sign was the one at the entrance to the parking lot.

It is in private hands.

post-21-1176773299_thumb.jpg

The sign is at my place of employment at Hill Country Customs Body Shop in New Braunfels, the owner Travis Batey welcomes one and all that want to see it or take a picture under it. Maybe bring an old trophey and have a then and now photo. We also have a photo of I think Buddy Murdock, I'll look tomorow and post the date of the picture and verify the name.

We also have a photo of I think Buddy Murdock, I'll look tomorow and post the date of the picture and verify the name.

How about Bobby Murdock? He is a friend of mine from Austin. Post it, and I can call lhim and verify if it is a car he drove.

Another name close to that is Buddy Marbach, from New Braunfels.

who painted the sign is that person still alive .everytime i see choke canyon dam at three rivers .i cant help but remember my brother and i and another operator who worked for us .knocked the first tree down in 1978 to start the clearing of the dam .we cleared the first 3500 acres .in which is now all the dirt that they used to build the dam ..used to cross the river at where the gates are ..230 feet down below the water .....

who painted the sign is that person still alive .everytime i see choke canyon dam at three rivers .i cant help but remember my brother and i and another operator who worked for us .knocked the first tree down in 1978 to start the clearing of the dam .we cleared the first 3500 acres .in which is now all the dirt that they used to build the dam ..used to cross the river at where the gates are ..230 feet down below the water .....

:blink::blink: WHAT THE HECK? :blink::blink:

SOMEBODY BETTER GO CHECK ON OLDTIMER AND SEE IF HE'S DIPPIN IN THE BERRYMAN'S AGAIN. :lol:

Tom,

Did Buddy Marbach have a son named Kelly Marbach, also from New Branfels, who drove stock cars back in the 80's?

Nick

Yep, Kelly also worked with Greg Davidson several years. Another former SAS racer, Ronnie Krueger, is part of that New Braunfels gang, along with Kelly's older brother Todd.

Buddy Marbach passed away a couple years ago; he fought lung cancer for years.

Nick,

Didn't Kelly hang out with you old DART racing guys. Seem to remember being hijacked one night when Rick Rapp's Hauler broke a rear-end. We ended up @ Sclitterbauns (sp). Slept in Kelly's motor home on the street. Really can't remember too much of that trip, since I no longer had to drive!

Mark Shurbet

Tom - Thanks for filling me in (as usual). I just wasn't sure that Buddy was Kelly and Todd's dad.

Mark - I believe Kelly and Ronnie were paid by Greg to spy on what we were up to over at DART.. LOL.. Naw... actually, Kelly and Todd went to my suspension seminar once or twice and were always interested in anything that had to do with handling. Rick Rapp was driving for DART at the time and the team was having quite a bit of success so they would hang around trying to pick up information they could use in their own racing program.

Back in those days we were running a very soft suspension set up, but not as soft as the BB/ss setups common in SLM racing these days. But at the time, we ran a bigger front bar and softer front springs than most. And I paid a whole lot of attention to suspension geometry since the car would generate quite a bit of body roll in the turns. Since we had so much body roll, we figured out how to use bump and roll steer to our advantage at various tracks. We also used very little cross weight during those years (51% or less in most cases) while other teams were using 58% or so. As a result we were not very fast in qualifying but as the laps clicked off our times would remain very constant while the other teams were dropping off. Rick usually wouldn't lead a race until late because of this.

Anyway, Kelly and Ronnie were part of the group that used a similar setup in their car and had some success in spite of being very very under funded.

Nick

:blink::blink: WHAT THE HECK? :blink::blink:

SOMEBODY BETTER GO CHECK ON OLDTIMER AND SEE IF HE'S DIPPIN IN THE BERRYMAN'S AGAIN. :lol:

49 your funny ....and mike i was thinking of those days at choke when i saw this thread and wondered who painted ,it,and it takes me saying something for you to come up with something to say ..pick on me i can take it ..you have to admit i have a way of maken you all talk ..

Didn't the name DART come from parts of a few guys names? I think one was Keith McFarland or something like that.

Don't see either Marbach much these days, but did see Ronnie Krueger at Kyle last year. He sold his car, and was wanting to build a new one, but wanted to wait to see what happened this year. Looks like he had ESP.

Todd M. and Ronnie K. were high school classmates of my wife at Canyon High in New Braunfels, along with Buddy Yantis JR.

Hey,

Does Ricci know that sign is still around? I see him every weekend at church. He may want to get a pic with it for old times sake.

Louis

Does Ricci know that sign is still around? I see him every weekend at church. He may want to get a pic with it for old times sake.

He may know now, I talked with Trey a few weeks ago, and he did not know it existed. I emailed a pic to him, and I imagine he has shown it to Ricci by now.

• 2 months later...

He may know now, I talked with Trey a few weeks ago, and he did not know it existed. I emailed a pic to him, and I imagine he has shown it to Ricci by now.

How did the owner of this sign get his hands on it? I bet it's a very interesting story...........

How did the owner of this sign get his hands on it? I bet it's a very interesting story...........

A good friend of mine, Brent Mycue, (44SS) works at the shop where the sign is hung.

I imagine he will get on here, and he tells the story best.

Archived