A sea of Red

txtom

Tom - what a great story. Iwould not expect anything less from Leroy. You discuss how Leroy started from the the rear of the field in a LM race and finished second - when did that event take place? Also, would you be willing to share a photo of the coveted hood in which you own today off of the #81 vehicle? Thanks for sharing your thoughts...Wes

Tom - what a great story. Iwould not expect anything less from Leroy. You discuss how Leroy started from the the rear of the field in a LM race and finished second - when did that event take place? Also, would you be willing to share a photo of the coveted hood in which you own today off of the #81 vehicle? Thanks for sharing your thoughts...Wes

Leroy did that in either 83 or 84, I was not there. I just happened to be in Japan, but I am relaying the story as the guys told me.

My digital camera broke, but I will find a way to get and post a pic of the hood. It is just as it last came off the car after a race at TWS.

• 4 months later...
Here's a red one.

Jakdad,

The Foyt Championship Dirt Car picture reminds me of the time, in '67, Kerry Lippies and myself stopped by the Foyt shop when it was on Milford, off S Shepherd/Hwy 59. The Indy Car was there also, but there had been a recent dirt track race and a crewman was working on the dirt car. He removed the seat and showed it to us. The seat bottom at the back had a very noticeable vertical dent rising, as I recall, about 2 1/2" to 3". It may have measured as much as 4". I don't recall where the race was held, but it was most likely a one mile track and 100 lap/mile event. One of the rear shocks and/or mounts had broken near the halfway point of the race. I'm thinking left rear, but I'm not sure. It seems as though A J finished the race, although I don't know what position. Possibly the same car pictured, but a different year and car number. So, if A J and the car were pictured after that '67 race, the "Here's A Red One" comment would "really" have meaning.

Kerry passed away in about '74. I hadn't seen him for awhile then, but D R Wells was then driving his own dump truck and I would see him often at the concrete plant, and he told me about Kerry. And no, his folks did not care much for auto racing.

Dang Larry, There's another one. haven't seen D.R. since he had his Texaco station on Southpark. I can't remember the fella that worked for D.R., had a Bronco. Seems like it was Ray. He sold that car to Bubba. Some memories, not so good............

Here's a red one.

post-4772-1197596947_thumb.jpg

Jakdad,

The Foyt Championship Dirt Car picture reminds me of the time, in '67, Kerry Lippies and myself stopped by the Foyt shop when it was on Milford, off S Shepherd/Hwy 59. The Indy Car was there also, but there had been a recent dirt track race and a crewman was working on the dirt car. He removed the seat and showed it to us. The seat bottom at the back had a very noticeable vertical dent rising, as I recall, about 2 1/2" to 3". It may have measured as much as 4". I don't recall where the race was held, but it was must likely a one mile track and 100 lap/mile event. One of the rear shocks and/or mounts had broken near the halfway point of the race. I'm thinking left rear, but I'm not sure. It seems as though A J finished the race, although I don't know what position. Possibly the same car pictured, but a different year and car number. So, if A J and the car were pictured after that '67 race, the "Here's A Red One" comment would "really" have meaning.

I believe this is the same car with the Ford engine that AJ tumped upside down at DuQuion doin' it in the dirt.

Dang Larry, There's another one. haven't seen D.R. since he had his Texaco station on Southpark. I can't remember the fella that worked for D.R., had a Bronco. Seems like it was Ray. He sold that car to Bubba. Some memories, not so good............

That would be Ray Woodford. I have a strong theory about the origin of the # 54 Bronco Stock Car ('56 Chevy) that Ray owned/drove in early/mid season '67, and after mid season sold to Bubba Ligotino. That car was built, I believe, by Robert Elmore, and repaired/prepaired for the '67 season by Ray and Robert. That car had the larger axle Pontiac rearend, and a good roll cage. The problem was the seat belt, as I recall. From what I remember/understand, the belt was correctly attached/chained to the frame, but unfortunately had an unseen tear just under the floorboard in a very hard to see area. In my opinion, the only way that tear would have been seen is if the belt was removed/replaced. I also have a strong theory about the origin of the belt, and I believe it was well used to the point of relatively easy tearing. That would also contribute to the remaining attached portion to tear apart as the car flipped. There was another # 54 Bronco Stock Car ('55 Chevy) that Ray had raced prior to '67, in either '65 or '66, and possibly both years. I believe that car was raced by Wayne Collins in prior years. Apparently after being sold, the older # 54 Car's roll cage and RF hub was transfered to another fresh/unraced '55 Chevy body/frame that was being built that, after being purchased and along with the engine, transmission, drive shaft, and Pontiac rearend from Mel Newkirk's # 2 Bronco Stock Car from '66, became the # 9 Bronco Stock Car for '67. There was no seat, or belts in the partially built car. I place no blame, and never have. I post this, hopefully, for the accident consequences to be understood. These kids are starting kind of young these days.

I was told the same story, other than the belts had been oil soaked and water soaked through the years. I don't know what car(s) the belts may have been in before Ray took possesion. For all intent and purpose, they were rotten and torn. Bubba asked me about the car. I told him it was a good well built car. I had helped Ray work on it a few times. I also told Bubba to take it easy until he got a feel for the car, as it would run much faster than he could drive it. It's all hind sight now........................

Definitely hindsight. Always a possibility the car was sold without belts, and those belts were available. Either way, I don't know what Bubba knew or didn't know. I just believe the belt partial tear happened after installation, and/or was in the car for some time before the accident. I've often wondered, if I myself might be tempted in those days to take a chance if that was the only thing preventing racing, if there were not sufficient time to locate a new belt and/or replace it. I don't think I would have, but I wonder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
TxTom - is this the car Leroy Brooks tuned and Jerry Grant drove? I know you had stated in another thread that Leroy worked with you and Jerry regarding the #81 at TWS. Pretty neat stuff.....

Yessir, Leroy pretty much did all the tuning on that car from the time we started racing it in 1981.

He was a perfectionist on timing, valve clearance, etc.

Briefly, we got the chassis partially built from Harold Oatman. It was someone's deal he started and never finished after the customer ran out of money. All the basic chassis work was done, as well as some of the sheetmetal. We left all this alone, as Harold was a stand-out car builder; we knew it was done right.

This car went on to have a significant brain trust behind it. Owned by Lee Machen at Special Automotive, the chassis was finished by Mac with technical help from names such as Danny Stewart, Freddy Fryar, Jerry Grant, Leroy Brooks, Steve Klestinec. Engines were built at various times by Mac himself, Butch Lake, Joe White, and we even had input from, and bought parts from, Ron Neal at Prototype Engines out of Illinois.

The first year the car ran, David Machen drove it as a street stock about 3 times at Longhorn, and three times at Killeen. He later joined the Navy, and the car sat until the middle of 1982, when Mac and Jerry joined forces. We won 5 of the last 8 races at Longhorn in 1982 with a brake related DNF, a 2nd place, and a badly scattered Lake engine.

In the years to come, the car raced at, and won at, Longhorn, San Antonio, Odessa, Altus, I-70 in Missouri, and several Super Stock races at the TROC races at TWS. Brooks even drove it at Longhorn, with the late models. After Grant ran it as a hobby stock, they brought it in, changed tires, put gas and Leroy in it, and he went out and ran second in the late model feature after starting scratch. You cannot believe the howling about that one.

The car still sits in a truck box behind Mac's shop in Austin, with different sheetmetal on it, as well as a few other changes. Last attempt at a race was in 1993. (Drove to Odessa to have valves hit pistons in 2 laps of practice. I will be nice to Lake about this one).

One of my favorite pieces of memoribilia is the original hood off the chevelle, the only original body work left off it. Mac gave it to me several years ago, I will not part with it.

And it says "Tuned by Leroy Brooks" on it!

Tom - I love this story! Is there any chance you can post a photo of the hood you describe? I would relish having that photo in my collection....please advise.

What, no 36 sponsored by Alameda or Almeda Auto Parts? Seems like it was red. :)

Back in about '70 or so, when Meyer Spdwy/Houston was NASCAR sanctioned and running Late Model Sportsman Stock Cars, some of the competitors were racing former GN/Cup and IMCA/ARCA Stock Cars that were too old model wise. And, in those days, the race cars were built from passenger cars, for any newer fans information that might read this. I remember Phil Cronin and Tony Barcelona running full size Ford Galaxies, and H B Bailey and his '64(?) Pontiac Bonneville.

Tom - I love this story! Is there any chance you can post a photo of the hood you describe? I would relish having that photo in my collection....please advise.

I'll get my daughter to bring her digital camera over and take a pic of it. My camera broke, and I just ain't gotten around to replacing it.

As far as the car goes, it was taken out of storage and cleaned up by Brandon Machen. It looks really good for having sat for 15 years. It currently has Mont Carlo sheetmetal on it. It will probably go to Monaco's for some more cleanup, then to Rosanky to Mac's farm. We have an idea or two for it.

We thought for awhile of putting a Chevelle body back on it, but we would have to lengthen the chassis. (We shortened it when we stuck the new body on it).

But I'll get ya a pic of it.

I remember that car oh so well, from the Longhorn days then with Jerry in SA to the sheer dominance @ TWS, I remember the time Jerry knocked the ass off that car @ TWS in the road coarse, I guess that would be one of the few times that car lost in Bryan.

I think back to maybe 1986 when Terry Brooks showed up with the old #02 street stock nova decked out lookin' fine and new like the 81 did.

My dad has all my old pics @ his house, I may need to find a way to get those scanned, they are some good ones; Longhorn, SAS, TWS, etc..

I'll get my daughter to bring her digital camera over and take a pic of it. My camera broke, and I just ain't gotten around to replacing it.

As far as the car goes, it was taken out of storage and cleaned up by Brandon Machen. It looks really good for having sat for 15 years. It currently has Mont Carlo sheetmetal on it. It will probably go to Monaco's for some more cleanup, then to Rosanky to Mac's farm. We have an idea or two for it.

We thought for awhile of putting a Chevelle body back on it, but we would have to lengthen the chassis. (We shortened it when we stuck the new body on it).

But I'll get ya a pic of it.

Thanks Tom - I can't wait to see it!

I remember that car oh so well, from the Longhorn days then with Jerry in SA to the sheer dominance @ TWS, I remember the time Jerry knocked the ass off that car @ TWS in the road coarse, I guess that would be one of the few times that car lost in Bryan.

I think back to maybe 1986 when Terry Brooks showed up with the old #02 street stock nova decked out lookin' fine and new like the 81 did.

My dad has all my old pics @ his house, I may need to find a way to get those scanned, they are some good ones; Longhorn, SAS, TWS, etc..

Outlaw - don't wait too long to share them pics. I'm an avid Brooks fan.

10-4 there, I have many of Terry's cars, Street Stock cars, man those were pretty swift.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Pretty much, anything driven by Leroy, Terry or Betty for that matter, always managed to find its way to the front. I've got a photo of Betty at Pan Am before the start of the Powder Puff Derby. From my recollection, she was a special woman.....

Archived