TSZ SAS section funeral?

Like I have said in other threads, SAS is still a viable business. The property is owned by a person who leases the facility to Mr. Ted Carlson. The lease is still in force and any one of us could approach Mr. Carlson with a proposal to operate SAS just like Mr. Dickerson did. Very unlikely, however, in light of the track's current relationship with the city of SA.

However, we are hearing several rumors (some more logical than others) that behind the scenes there are some folks interested in building a new SAS just outside the county line. The most prevelant of those rumors speak of a 3/8-mile, paved, progressively banked oval with no walls except on the front straight. Also included would be a larger skid pad, large enough to accomodate "drifting" competitions and skid pad testing. That area would also be used for parking for larger events. In addition, a multi-length road course is planned along with garage and storage areas, a full-service race shop, classroom space, meeting rooms and all the amenities needed to attract year-round usage.

Where? Dunno.

When? Dunno.

Who? I've heard a few names, but no sense spooking anyone at this point.

So... I'm not taking down the SAS forum until we know a bit more than we do now..

Nick

what he said^.........

the 3/8s has been done to death.............but what do i know, it ain't my buck.

Several of the more successful short tracks in the country are 3/8-mile or even 1/3-mile tracks. There are, or course, several exceptions, including a couple of pretty famous 1/2-mile tracks that host Cup events.

But one of the design considerations is the no-wall-in-the-turns feature. In order to accomplish this on a half-mile, you have to have very long, off-camber runoff areas since the cars are going so fast at the end of the straights. A 3/8- or 1/3-mile track requires less runoff area.

I am not advocating for length or the other. I personally like the speed of the half-mile tracks, but, unfortunately, I have about $2.97 available to invest in a new racing facility, so my vote won't count for much... LOL

Nick

It will still be the only 1/2 mile asphalt track in Texas if it is built this big. Anyone want to pitch in for the extra 1/8? Sounds better and faster! Wider turns shorter straights will be freaking fast. B)

I personally like Mobile International Speedway. It is a 1/2 mile on the inside, as where Five Flags is a 1/2 mile on the outside.(Got that from the site.) There are no walls, except for the front stretch, plus all the racing there is very exciting. The slower cars look fast also. I believe Irwindale Speedway also has shorter straights and have 3-wide racing.

A smaller track would accomidate the use of street tires for the more stock types of cars.

Someday someone will realize that the profits come from numbers, AKA 100 bomers VS 15 super late models. Most every Bomer has a family and friends. A facility does not have to cose 5 million to attract people. It DOES however have to be an outdoor sports arena that always has something going on, Friday nite,Sat nite (racing) and Sunday afternoon. I could never understand how any track can make a profit with only an old tired exclusive once a week show without even expanding on that.

The dirt tracks in Mousouri for the most part are carved out of an old cornfield and many are hard to find. But they have great success because they put a lot of the money in purses rather than expensive facilities.

Here in the Valley the most successful arena is called Dodge Stadium. It was built as a hockey rink but hosts a varity of other kinds of events like concerts,wrestling matches and any other form of entertainment that hosts large crouds. There is always something going on and most events are sellouts. Who would of thought a place designed for ice could prosper in a place that stays 100 degrees most of the year? Smart Promoters. They even built it with taxpayers money.

The trick to keeping peace woth the non racing community is to have things the non racers can enjoy at the same facility. That makes us all "family." But what do I know,Im just a hillbilly living in Northern Mexico.

What are the last 2 things a redneck says in his life? WATCH THIS and OH S..T Bout like my typing.

What would save SAS is a PROMOTER, not a racer to see the posibilities with outdoor events to go along with racing. Carnivals, consersts, thrill shows, motorcycles, even baseball and wrestling. Shawn Michaels is from San Antonio and will perform in front of millions this Sunday live and PPV. I cant believe a city as big as San Antinio cant find enough entertainment to keep selling tickets 3 days a week or more. Just think outside the box (track)

Well, have at it GB! The whole territory is wide open for you to show us all how its done! LOL..

Not knocking you at all.. it's just that we all have our opinions as to how things should be run. Why, right here on TXSZ we have a dozen, or more, expert promoters (me included). LOL

But as they say, BS walks and money talks...

Nick

I am deeply moved by the news I have read about SAS and other efforts that include the series. All to often I hear of raceways closing for one reason or another. The good news is that across the country the total race track count has relatively not changed significantly. ( Source: National Speedway Directory )

Look for more tracks to run into problems with residential development, government conflicts and failures to comply with regulations of safety and building codes in coming years. I have traveled to many tracks that are below standards of compliance. I do not care to point fingers and list them. But I am sure that a few of you know of the same tracks that I know of. It is my confidence that it is just a matter of time before enough is enough before action is taken one way or another with these tracks.

SAS has faced some difficult situations that may spell it's final doom. My hopes are that this area will see a new facility be built and done with support from the governments of city, county and state leaders. Track ownership is so much more broad than ever before. As a raceway owner. You wear a hat of promoter, a delegate to the governments, code official, baby sitter and more. For the sake of this racing community. I hope that a long standing remedy is found.

But as they say, BS walks and money talks...

Nick

Maybe that is why the track failed so badly on its inspections. Where did the so-called $30,000 go towards exactly? I ask this because from a fans point of view, the track has always and still looks/feels like crap. Concessions, plumbling, electric, seating? All these things that the money was so-called spent on are still ugly/pathetic and the same as before. So, in saying that, what real improvements have been really done to the track during the current management's team tenure? And furthermore, most San Antonians have been aware of for several years prior to now about the Toyota plant and the projective increase in property/market value around the area, and yet any smart businessman would have to know that the price would increase from over 2-3 years ago. Duhhhh

So... I'm not taking down the SAS forum until we know a bit more than we do now..

Nick

???? There is obviously no hope of anyone taking over the track, especially due to it current condition

???? There is obviously no hope of anyone taking over the track, especially due to it current condition

I was not referring to someone coming in and "taking over the track." I was referring to someone - we all hope he/she is out there somewhere - who might build a new SAS in some perfect (or at least better) location.

Taking pot shots at the former SAS management team seems counter-productive at this point.

Nick

Nick,

Did you read Maz's Avatar???? "Counter Productive" was kind.

Taking pot shots at the former SAS management team seems counter-productive at this point.

Nick

Well, i sure hope that the former SAS management team or Mr Dickerson arent looking for praise for a job well done. :P Do the math, no real improvements made to the track, couldnt get /keep the track up to code, never was able to buy/take over the track for himself, and mostly cancelled/took away local racing for the fans/drivers. Not trying to bash or be harsh, just saying the obvious and saying what is reality.

Maz,

Please consider the following:

1) Had Mr. Dickerson not stepped up to purchase the rights to manage San Antonio Speedway, the track would have been closed two years ago. The lease holder, Ted Carlson, announced at the end of the 2004 racing season that he was no longer willing to operate San Antonio Speedway. He openly stated that unless someone stepped up, he was going to default on his lease. When no one seemed willing to step up, Mr. Dickerson did and gave us all a place to race for the past two seasons - even though he took a major financial loss over those two years in doing so.

2) I have personal knowledge that Mr. Dickerson made several offers to purchase the SAS property. The plan was to purchase the land, operate SAS - even at a loss if need be - until the city encroached to the point of strangulation (estimated to be about 4-5 years hence) and then sell the property to recoup the losses incurred from operating the track and the purchase price for the land.

3) The track has been kept up to Bexar County code and improvements were made whenever the county inspectors required some fixes. But when the city took over the inspections from the county, their standards were much more strict. Sort of like if you ran a dirt track bomber and all of sudden the NASCAR Cup inspectors show up at your car with all sorts of new rules and a very efficient way to enforce those rules. Rather than invest the (very conservatively) estimated $80,000 needed to renovate all the major speedway infrastructure, Mr. Dickerson did indeed decide that it was time to fold.

4) Regardless of who will tell you otherwise, ROMCO SLM Series owner Mr. Robert Mullins had been actively trying to find someone willing to take over the series for at least a year before Mr. Dickerson hit the scene. I personally know of two individuals who were offered the series - perhaps you know someone too. Again, Mr. Dickerson was the only one who actually stepped up.

5) I will not go into details about how Mr. Dickerson acquired the TAMS and ARTS series except to say that both series were experiencing serious financial difficulties at the time he acquired them. Both Jon Garrett (ARTS) and Wayne Norrell (TAMS) are friends of mine and I have no intention of involving them in this. They both are very fine gentlemen whom I respect greatly. But, in the end, I believe it was their sincere desire that their respective series continue provide a venue for their members that caused them to sell their series to Mr. Dickerson.

6) For a wide variety of reasons - many of which are discussed in great detail in previous TXSZ threads - all three touring series did not fare as well as anyone hoped. But to point fingers at any one individual is taking the easy way out.

So, while your reality is real from your perspective, the information I have posted here may help you get a bit wider perspective.

Thanks for reading.

Nick

Another post that read like a breath of fresh air.Thank you for trying to get through to the uninformed or misinformed.Maybe if enough people know the truth,we can start making the San Antonio racing community look positive again.The negativity about Toyota,past promotor,the city,or whoever is only going to desuade a prospective developer from providing us a place to play with and watch expensive toys going in circles.I understand there are other facilities at hand,but we need to be selfish and try hard to get another track as close to S.A. as possible......still hoping.

the city of san antonio has gotten really strict on the enforecement of the codes every since hurricane katrina occurred...............i work for a local home builder and all of the property we have in the city of san antonio is constantly being scrutinized by their permit office..........so if the area was annexed by the city of san antonio, then you will have hell trying to get anything permitted or inspected if it isnt up to the current codes. if im not mistaken they are using the 2006 irc code book, and there is no way that the track is up to that..........the good thing is that i guess if a guy did decide to try to fix up the track, shouldnt they be able to tap into the city of san antonio sewer system and forget about the septic tank..........lol..........

so if a new track was to come about, make sure it is not in the city of san antonio to avoid these guys and their issues..........

Archived