City growth takes its toll on San Antonio Speedway

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading the news release, I had more questions than answers. When my salvage yard got sucked into the city, everything was grandfathered in and nothing was up to code. I cant improve anything or I have to improve everything. Also if 90 days were given to comply, why not race for 89 more days and then pull the plug? Sad end for such a great place.

TPS,

Gives the teams chance to run for points at other tracks, or decide what they want to do. Either way the racing would have to stop.

Rick said he and Terry both fought to get it grandfathered but they wouldn't budge. Guess when the right people want you out there aren't many options.

That's the whole point tps48.TD cannot make any improvements under the grandfather rules.With the future of the south side of S.A...why should he spend hundreds of thousands of dollars just to eventually lose the facility anyway?Getting a bond passed for the facility to upgrade and also granting it historical immunity like the Freeman Colisium is the only way.Do you really think the city would do that for the little ole' sport of stock car racing?

IT COMES DOWN TO WHO.S GOT THE DOUGH AND WHO GETS TO GO ..TYPICAL TEXAS WAY OF DOING THINGS ..30 YEARS OF RACEN GOING DOWN THE DRAIN FOR SOME BUTTHEADS WHO WANT TO MOVE OUT THERE ...... NOW I REALLY DONT LIKE TOYOTA ...WONDER HOW MUCH THEY PUT INTO THE KIDDIE FOR THIS ..IF THIS WAS A FOOTBALL FIELD AND BASE BALL FIELD .THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEMS ...

IT COMES DOWN TO WHO.S GOT THE DOUGH AND WHO GETS TO GO ..TYPICAL TEXAS WAY OF DOING THINGS ..30 YEARS OF RACEN GOING DOWN THE DRAIN FOR SOME BUTTHEADS WHO WANT TO MOVE OUT THERE ...... NOW I REALLY DONT LIKE TOYOTA ...WONDER HOW MUCH THEY PUT INTO THE KIDDIE FOR THIS ..IF THIS WAS A FOOTBALL FIELD AND BASE BALL FIELD .THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEMS ...

You've outdone yourself this time, OT... LOL

Nick

I just wish the racing had gotten a lot bigger in this area throughout the years and SAS could had been like Five Flags and the Music City Motorplex in Nashville. Those are only two of a few of the tracks I have been to where there are homes, businesses, motels, and several other things that surround the track. Maybe it could have worked, but just like they have said this whole time, why invest in something that you don't own.

You are so right Oldtimer.. Just when my twin daughters were actually begining to LIKE going to the races.. What would be WAY COOL is if everyone pulled their resources together and did the renovations over a weekend or something like that... ( Yes, I am quite the dreamer!!!) :(:(:(:(

I say we all get together and go to City Hall and protest!!!! I seriously think that an investor will come in and either buy the land which is rumored to be going for 5 million or build else where. I have high hopes that San Antonio will have a place to race soon. If not the #13 RR former WOW car will be posted on speedzone in exchange for a boat....time to go fishing!!!

You guys should get a signature drive started. Go to THR this Saturday Night and start there. Not only that, but there will be a lot of People in the know there who might be encouraged to take some kind of action if they saw the level of support and what this track means to all of you. Just an idea.

Now where I can help is give you a platform. Saturday night I plan to talk about this and if the calls are there, pretty much only this. What SAS meant to you, how does this affect the local race scene, the city and so forth. I would love for you guys to call in. Also, if you all decide to try and get something together, let me know and we will totally push it on the show.

I agree with most of you that this is a sad day. I believe a lot of hands were tied on this deal. with that said, that should not be the end of it. Show San Antonio as a city, what they are truly losing when it comes to local racing going away. Who knows, it just might make a impact somewhere, or with someone.

Just my two cents...

now it makes sense why they dropped the nascar sanction.............they knew they were going to close down and didnt want to invest in a sanction they wouldnt need.........thanks to terry for at least prolonging the death of sas for a little bit at least...........

Danny,

No one knew. Rick Day even was in the process of purchasing a home here when all this city inspection stuff began just after the ASA race earlier this month. We dropped the NASCAR sanction long before anyone had any idea that SAS would be closing.

Nick

SAS was was like Daytona for me. I hope there's a way to save the track, but I doubt it. Lost my girlfriend and favorite racetrack on the same day, and you know what's really funny, I'm more upset about losing SAS.

this man has his priorities right! :D

I 'm not sure about that one - she was really cute...and she came and helped him at the races... :P

(Which now I guess I can ask, what was she doing with you in the first place ---J/K )

Adam - Since saving SAS is probably a lost cause... you should try to salvage what you can!!! Besides, get the practice of groveling down now, so after the W bells, you will be an ole pro!! :lol::lol::lol:

OK ---

It's always darkest before the dawn!!!

When a door is shut, a window gets open!!!

Ok, that all the optimism this ole pessimist can muster...

HA.. The thing is that obviously she can be replaced (most likely quite quickly at that)... The track can not..

SAS was was like Daytona for me. I hope there's a way to save the track, but I doubt it. Lost my girlfriend and favorite racetrack on the same day, and you know what's really funny, I'm more upset about losing SAS.

HA.. The thing is that obviously she can be replaced (most likely quite quickly at that)... The track can not..

Yep. She's says it's only "temproary", but in my experience that means forever. But like you said I could get another girlfriend, there won't be another San Antonio Speedway.

You guys should get a signature drive started. Go to THR this Saturday Night and start there. Not only that, but there will be a lot of People in the know there who might be encouraged to take some kind of action if they saw the level of support and what this track means to all of you. Just an idea.

Now where I can help is give you a platform. Saturday night I plan to talk about this and if the calls are there, pretty much only this. What SAS meant to you, how does this affect the local race scene, the city and so forth. I would love for you guys to call in. Also, if you all decide to try and get something together, let me know and we will totally push it on the show.

I agree with most of you that this is a sad day. I believe a lot of hands were tied on this deal. with that said, that should not be the end of it. Show San Antonio as a city, what they are truly losing when it comes to local racing going away. Who knows, it just might make a impact somewhere, or with someone.

Just my two cents...

You know, Terry Labonte is going to be there. He's a two time Cup champ, I'm sure he has the $$ to buy the land and bring the track up to par. Ahh, who am I kidding?

Archived