City growth takes its toll on San Antonio Speedway

For Immediate Release

San Antonio Speedway Vice President & Asst. Gen. Mgr.

(210) 648-7373 (office); (210) 685-0400 (cell)

debwill@sanantoniospeedway.com

City growth takes its toll on San Antonio Speedway

San Antonio, TX (March 28, 2007) – The United States Racing Association (USRA) is ending its operations in Texas – including its USRA touring series events and its track management operations at San Antonio Speedway (SAS) effective immediately.

Terry Dickerson and his wife Tammy founded the USRA in November 2004 and took over the management of the USRA Super Late Model Series (formerly known as the ROMCO Super Late Models) and San Antonio Speedway. The USRA Modifieds (formerly known as the Texas Asphalt Modifieds Series) and the USRA Trucks (formerly known as the American Race Track Series) were subsequently added to the USRA’s management scope.

When the Dickersons formed the USRA Track Management Group, the company that manages the speedway for lease holder Ted Carlson, they had every intention of purchasing the half-mile, high-banked speedway and a good portion of the undeveloped land surrounding the facility.

Several rigorous attempts were made to purchase the property over the past two years, but an agreement could not be reached between the current landowner and the Dickersons.

The recent opening of the Toyota production plant within eyesight of the facility also had a major impact on the speedway property. Land values in the area have escalated dramatically over the past two years, and several major developments are expected in the immediate area. Due to the expected growth in the area, San Antonio Speedway was included in area that was recently zoned as an “Extraterritorial Jurisdiction” (ETJ). ETJ is the legal ability of a government to exercise authority beyond its normal boundaries. This zoning law permits cities to make certain decisions about the land beyond the city's incorporated limits. The ETJ zoning classification directly affected the SAS facility – from a sharp increase in the property tax rate to the need for compliance with strict city codes.

As part of the ETJ zoning change, San Antonio Speedway was inspected by city code enforcement officers a few weeks ago, right after the speedway opened its 2007 season. The facility failed five of the six inspections required for its Letter of Occupancy, including infractions on the plumbing, sewer, fire suppression and electrical wiring. The Dickersons had already invested over $30,000 in 2006 to upgrade the concession areas, electrical wiring and bleachers. A minimum of $80,000 would have to be spent by the 90-day deadline to bring the facility into compliance with the city codes.

Residential growth in the surrounding area is another factor negatively impacting the speedway’s future. More than 50,000 residential units are forecast to be constructed in the immediate area. Obviously, noise pollution problems experienced at numerous other racing facilities across the country would soon become a major cause for concern.

Dickerson, who has a passion for promoting the growth of motorsports in Texas, had a difficult time in making this decision.

“I had every intention of running a full season this year, but the cards were stacked against us,” said Dickerson. “My partner and I made several generous attempts to purchase the speedway property, and we even made some ‘handshake’ deals that were later retracted by the landowner. And then we got hit by city inspectors right after we ran our first race this year. We just can’t continue to invest such large amounts of money into something we don’t own.”

Dickerson also had deep concerns about the disappointment that will be felt by the Texas racing community. “San Antonio Speedway has some very loyal supporters – including fans, sponsors, drivers, car owners and pit crews,” Dickerson said. “This place has been in operation for over 30 years, and I know lots of folks in the racing community will be disappointed about our decision to shut down our USRA operations. I know the timing is bad, but it all comes down to making a tough business decision.”

“I also want to thank my USRA and SAS staff for the tremendous job they have done for both the USRA and San Antonio Speedway. I could not have wished for a more dedicated, talented group of people, Dickerson said. “I especially want to recognize Rick Day (SAS President and General Manager/Race Director) and Debbie Williams (SAS Vice President and Assistant General Manager) for their dedication and support.”

All of the 2007 USRA and San Antonio Speedway Driver Registration fees will be refunded, and final race checks will be mailed to the drivers or car owners within the next couple of weeks.

“I’ve always paid what I’ve said I would pay, and I’ll do the same in this situation,” said Dickerson. “If you’re a registered driver, you’ll definitely be reimbursed for your registration fees and any purse money from this year’s events.”

Former San Antonio Speedway operator Ted Carlson owns the lease on the speedway property. He and the current landowner will determine the future of the property.

Dickerson plans to continue operating his other business ventures – including Dickerson Machinery in San Antonio, Texas, and Alsace Tan & Salon in Castroville, Texas. He also plans to continue land investments in both the San Antonio and the Medina County areas. Dickerson will also remain active in motorsports promotion by developing young Texas drivers for careers in stock-car racing.

-30-

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive never competed on the track but have been going to it all my life. this is just sad but i had a feeling it was coming. hopefully the cars will come to thr.

sad day....sas was a great track

Dickerson had USRA before he had SAS. Its sad that USRA could not go on.

As for speedzone Papa...I wouldnt worry to much cause if it goes down (which I doubt would happen) I'm still hanging around...

Hey theres a West Series race. Theres your cover story for speedzone...

Me and The SAS Flagman just built a car this year. I wanted to race here so bad. We spent the money and he got to race it the first night. I'm glad the car got to see the asphalt there. I ran a five lap practice and it was one of the funnest things I have ever done in my life. I just wish I could have raced it once. Cause we would have won. So long to the track and I guess I'll be lookin somewhere else for my addiction.

i have not had the previledge to run on numerous tracks , but i have run on a few..............SAS was always my favorite track to run on , there will never be another one like it............from the dip of off 2 to the bump on the apron line in one to the sneaky short shoot off of four , i feel like i just lost a friend.

thanX for the memories

With all the expected residential units and hotel/motel projects taking place in the area, the track doesn't stand a chance at its present location. The minute the ink dried on the Toyota deal, the track was doomed.

Nick

Who really suxx is the councilman who showed his sorry face at the track and said he supports racing at SAS and it is here to stay. Coucilman speaks with forked tongue. He probably has an insider deal working like the rest of those sorry politicians. Tar and Feathers sound appropriate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buddy #3 Late Model

and it was a 1/4 miler

wow how many houses can they put on a 1/2 miler?

all in the name of progress :lol::lol::lol:

never was any good at that track but id still go if i could. This sucks :angry:

WE WERE PUTTING OUR CAR BACK TOGETHER TO RACE SA ... SAD DEAL .NOW JESSIE HAS BEEN WANTING ME TO RACE THAT TRACK THIS YEAR CUZ I NEVER HAVE BEFORE .HAVE NOT EVEN MADE A LAP IN ALL THE YEARS OF GOING THIER ..WELL LOOKS LIKE KYLE IS GOING TO EXPLODE ..AND I KNOW THAT IS NOT THE WAY THEY WOULD WANT THIS TO HAPPEN... ...... SAD VERY SAD .I LOOKED AT SA AS OUR NASCAR TYPE TRACK I GET EXCITED TO GO THERE .SOMETHING I LOOKED FORWARD TO ..IN FACT WE BUILT THAT CAR JUST TO WIN ON THAT TRACK .SURE AM GLAD WE DID GET THE WIN .......

Archived