The Master and His Student

ProTree

Tommy Freeman,IHRA Division 4 Starter from Austin and Clyde "Spook" Peake,IHRA National Starter for the last 30 yrs on the starting line at the recent Texas Amalie Nationals.Photo taken by my friend racer99

post-59-1175090877_thumb.jpg

PAPA,I wish that was all there was to it, just push the button on that blue thingie.That's the easy part,knowing when to push it.Some of the things you're incharge of are track prep,cleanups,keeping it fair for all,watching each car for anything that may cause a problem or a driver to crash down track before you let em go,it's your decision, and if you let one go, can you live with it if you knew that there was a potential problem developing before you turned em loose.Watch each run making sure neither car dropped fluid or parts on the track before sending next pair.Watch the "tree" come down on every run to make sure no lites malfuntioned as it came down,if you dont catch it ,the drivers will.You're looking for safety equipment,certain classes require certain things,believe it or not some forget to put it on.There's rule about staging the car and have to be done properly and it is enforced.This is just an example of some of the things you do on every run and the list goes on and on.When you do it sometimes for 18 hrs straight in a day,there is alot to focus on.Plus the day before the racing starts,I'm a SFI Certified Tech Inspector and spend the day teching/inspecting cars,safety equipment etc.And by chance if and when an on track accident happens,I've been to SFI's Drag Racing Incident Responce Training to learn how to properly fight all the exotic fuel fires and how to do proper extrications of drivers from the tricked out race cars of today.

Archived