clarence lovell

oldsoldier

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey Duck is that 56 chevy the same one Todd Ford drove in 1972? I think he won the track championship that year in #77

Oatey, I don't remember where that old 55/56 went. Todd Ford always had something original about his cars. I remember he had a 56 convertible for a while and one year he had 180 decree headers - sounded like a bumble bee.

We found out by accident that the left rear leaf spring was way weaker than the right rear - I noticed in the shop that the left rear had collapsed so much it was reverse arched! Clarence said we'd just have to run it that way 'till he could get another spring. I don't think it was ever replaced - I know the car was still pretty fast when we got rid of it...

In '72, Clarence was asked by Glen Castleberry to drive his old Ford. The first night, Clarence hot lapped the Ford and came in when it wasn't running too well, asked Glen if he changed the plugs since it the last race. Glen said he didn't remember changing the plugs for at least a year or so... When they popped the hood there was a birds nest on the intake manifold and the valve covers were covered in bird "manure"!!! Clarence got the old Ford going and won his heat race and managed a decent place in the feature. Gave all his winnings to Glen that night and told him he wanted the car washed, new plugs and a new air filter for the next week. About the time he got the old Ford competitive, Don Bierschwale asked him to drive his Grand National car. Also at that time my company moved me to Owego, NY. Cory was 2 years old. And I became a Richie Evans fan.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I had the honor of writing and delivering the eulogy at Clarence Lovell's funeral. The engraving on the headstone pictured earlier was taken from the last line of his eulogy by the Lovell family - "Slim drove the good race and he won". Clarence would have been 64 years old on the upcoming June 19.

His funeral was attended by at least 600 mourners who packed the chapel, the outside room and even into the front yard. The Mayor of San Antonio and owner of the Handy Andy grocery chain, Charles Becker couldn't even get in and stood outside listening to temporary PA speakers.

The last NASCAR race in which Clarence Lovell competed was at Talladega, followed by his untimely fatal accident on Loop 410 in San Antonio only four days after he dodged a 25 car "big one" and placed 4th in the Alabama 500.

Thanks for the memory "Slim" - Neil Upchurch

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Neil,

With the world getting so caught up in the future, we tend to forget about what (or who) got us to this point. My mind will always be full of "what ifs", and this reminds me of where I came from. Thanks for reminding me.

Cory Lovell

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I grew up watching Clarence Lovell and Jimmy Fireball Finger when I was just a young fellow, My father knew Clarence quite well and followed his Racing career... I remember how excited everyone was when he finished 4th at one of the southern tracks, Atlanta I believe, made it thru a large accident on the track, only to come home and hit an Railroad embankment where 410 and IH35 meet....and lose his life.... I remember the shock of his death hitting many loyal fans of his.... Clarence was a good driver and was ready for the " Big Leagues " Nascar. He is still missed by many......

• 6 months later...
Left to right

dont know, ??Ralph Amen(flagman), ??looks neil upchurch, Clarence, Ricci Ware, Bob York, dont know the fellow in the glasses

thats my guesses

Good job Oatey!!! The guy with the glasses was pretty familiar to the folks in Austin since he was from Austin. He even ran for Constable or something like that at one time. I've got a little trivia on him that I can post in another thread if anyone wants. Any guesses who he is?

If my eyes and mind are right, leaning on the fender, his first name is Rene

When I read your post I thought, RIGHT! There was a kid named Rene that went with us to Monterey for the road race. I've got a few stories about that trip I'll post later. This guy looks like I remember Rene looking .. but I'm still not positive it's him - especially after Neil's post (I don't remember Neil ever being wrong!!! ;) )

From left to right:

Bullcat > not Rene (who was later on Ed Sczech's #67 Chevelle crew)

Ralph Amen - Flagman

Neil Upchurch - Pace Car Driver

Clarence "Slim" Lovell - Driver Car #7 and Winner 1971 Firecracker 250 at Pan American Speedway

Ricci Ware Sr - Promoter & co-owner Pan American Speedway

Bob York - Chief Technical Inspector - PAS

Oldtimer - I recall that the 1st place check was $1,000 to win

Neil Upchurch

Neil, if not Rene, who? Also, I guess you skipped the guy in glasses at the far right, right?

re: the $1k prize - I don't know how much the check was, but I know we sure put a dent in it with our celebration afterward!!! :D:D:D

Here's a quick anecdote about that race: The rules stated every car had to make a pit stop during the race for gas. If they failed to make it, they would be scored down 1 lap. The race was winding down, only had about 4 or 5 laps to go and in those days we didn't have radios, so I was frantically motioning to Clarence to pit .. finally he came in .. on the last lap! We were pitting on the back straight - on the infield grass/dirt. He slid to a stop, my other brother reached into the car and took off the gas cap and one of the racers (don't remember who) had a 55 gal drum on a stand with a gas hose on it and agreed to let us use his gas and hose handled the "refueling". There was also some body work hanging off the front of the car. I rushed around the car to check the dangling body work, and no sooner had Clarence stopped than he dropped the clutch and took off. I rolled off the hood onto the ground as he sped away. He finished the race about half a straight ahead of 2nd place (Don Fowler). During the celebration at the finish line, while the pictures were being taken my brother came up to me and pulled the gas cap out of his pocked and asked what he should do with it. I told him to keep it in his pocket until things calmed down and he then could sneak it back on (we were actually concerned about being DQ'd 'cause the car didn't finish with the gas cap!!!) When I told Clarence later, he said "that's alright, I don't think we got any gas in the tank either..." :lol:

Checking ya'lls power of observation: did anybody notice any difference in the Camero between the 1st and 2nd picture (besides the checkered flag)?

That's a great story Racerduck! Thanks for sharing it with us all.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived