Rick Baldwin

HiTech

RICK BALDWIN ... HE RAN SOME NASCAR RACES . WAS HURT TRYING TO GET INTO A NASCAR RACE . I MAYBE WRONG BUT I BELIEVE HE WAS DRIVEING IN PLACE OF AN INJURED BUDDY HARRINGTON . LIVED A FEW YEARS IN A COMA NEVER TO SPEAK AGAN .AND PASSED A FEW YEARS AGO ..CAN ANYONE ADD OR SUBTRACT WHAT I HAVE SAID ...... ALSO ON SOME NIGHTS HE WOULD FLAG RACES AT THE OLD RIVERSIDE SPEEDWAY IN CC . HE RACED MOPAR IN NASCAR .ITS SAD BUT EVERYONE HAS KIND OF FORGOT ABOULT HIM ...

Rick was injured in 1986 practice crash at Michigan. He laid in a coma until passing away in June 1997. The Baldwins owned a Mopar Cup car he ran about 6 times in the early 80's, and he ran Elmo's car a few times. He made 11 total cup starts.

I think he spent most of his coma here in San Antonio, and his wife sued NASCAR, but it never went anywhere.

He raced a few times at San Antonio, and I remember well a USAC legal car he ran here with #48 on it that was one of the old Chrysler Kit Cars.

Rick was injured in 1986 practice crash at Michigan. He laid in a coma until passing away in June 1997. The Baldwins owned a Mopar Cup car he ran about 6 times in the early 80's, and he ran Elmo's car a few times. He made 11 total cup starts.

I think he spent most of his coma here in San Antonio, and his wife sued NASCAR, but it never went anywhere.

He raced a few times at San Antonio, and I remember well a USAC legal car he ran here with #48 on it that was one of the old Chrysler Kit Cars.

we used to rent a place from his dad.. i remember him flagging .and bringing his cars to the speedways to show them off ...ronald deleon may still have one of his old mopars ..ronald drove a mopar with romco i think .....but used to drive one of ricks cars at cc .i think those cars were built for or buy petty . and maybe crt still has those upper contol arms that came from one of two of ricks cars .and yes he never made it back to cc .i had the helment that he had on in my hand at riverside . very large crack .

• 1 month later...

Met Mr. Baldwin when i was a kid. My dad knew the family pretty well. Dad said he remembers when rick went into a coma after the crash, The Dad Mr. Balwin was never the same. I had hell trying to get my dad to let me into a car at the time. He told me that he did not want to take the chance of something similar happing to us. He finally sold his top alcohol dragster and we started bracket racing again. I just recently just purchased another dragster so we could bracket race again. My dad still gets nervous watching. I can relate because i was just as nervous watching him go 230mph. Dont know if anyone knows my dad, but his name is Roy Rogers from CC TX, the race car was trigger. Kinda hard to forget that name.

How do yall know him?? Crazy sometimes doesnt even come close. LOL

MISTER CARB MAN ..AND I WORKED WITH BARBBRA AT DODGE ... HE BUILT A CARB FOR STEVEN OH BACK AROUND 95 AND TODAY THAT CARB STILL WORKS .LALO HAS IT .IT RAN ON A FEW DIFFERENT RACE CARS .NEVER HAS BEEN TAKEING APART AS FAR AS I KNOW .SENSE THEN ..

He is definately good at what he does. Lots of years of racing and lots of years rebuilting carbs for tons of people. I believe he still stays backed up with work. He bought all of international carburator's parts when they went out of bussiness. Still has tons of stuff from there.

• 9 years later...

Rick Baldwins dad, Jim Baldwin raced for several years at Cuddihy and CC Speedway. Rick also raced there before the Cup car involvement. Jim drove a purple car with the headers mounted upside down so that they were coming out of the hood.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember Jim Baldwin had a roofing company and had an old Dodge or something that was painted with Sparkle Coat roofing sealant . Back then most roofs were pebbles on top of tar.Sparkle Coat was a bright white and it sparkled. Really made a nice looking roof. Anyway back then they had a rollover fund that fans added to throughout the season. On the last night no one had rolled over. There was a few hundred dollars in it and Jim tried all night to roll that car. He would go as fast as he could out of 4 and hang a hard left in to the infield.Think he finally made it on the 5th try.

Archived