Spring Rates

kn1ghtblade

This is probably going to sound very idiotic, but when I bought new springs for my car, i just ask for the Heavy Duty stock replacments since the old ones were heated and I had to get the car off the ground since some kid had try to make a low rider out of it...

Well I am trying to figure out the rate on the springs I bought and the store I got them from gave me a Load Charge Rate..... Is that what everyone calls the Spring Rate or is it something else????

These are the Moog Part#'s I have: 5598 and 5379

I know I am going to have to change them becuaes these are way too hard but, I do need to try and figure out what they are for future reference either to sell them or use them on something else....

Thanks

Knightblade

Here's a handy spring rate calculator from Parker Carburetion:

http://www.parkercarburetion.com/Calculato...ng_rate_2.0.hta

Please note that getting the wire diameter exactly right is critical in using any spring rate calculator or formula. Just a tiny change in the diameter alters the spring rate dramatically.

Always enter the wire diameter as a decimal (e.g. .75) instead of in inches (3/4).

The best way to measure a spring's rate is to use one of the better spring rate checkers available thorugh Longacres and other vendors.

Nick

Thanks Nick that will come in Handy, but do you know what they meant by spring charge rate? Thats what is confusing me, when I called they gave me that number, then they also listed another rate (cant remember exactly what they called it I think load rate or something like that)

I am just not sure what numbers they gave me are what everyone conciders the rate...

As for your calculator, which coils on the spring are the active coils?

Thanks Nick that will come in Handy, but do you know what they meant by spring charge rate? Thats what is confusing me, when I called they gave me that number, then they also listed another rate (cant remember exactly what they called it I think load rate or something like that)

I am just not sure what numbers they gave me are what everyone conciders the rate...

As for your calculator, which coils on the spring are the active coils?

Different vendors use slightly different terms when dealing with spring rates and wheel rates. Chevrolet uses the term load rate interchangeably with spring rate. I'm not really sure what Moog has in mind when they use the "load rate change." It could be a term that speaks to the properties of a particular spring in a particular application. For instance, a particular coil spring designed for use in a Humvee would be way, way too stiff for a light passenger car. Likewise, a particular coil spring designed for use in a light passenger car would be way, way too light if used in a Humvee. So, the same spring might be too light for one application, too stiff for another application and just right for a third application. Obviously, the spring would have a higher "load rate change" in the Humvee than in the passenger car.

As for your question about the number of active coils, you need to tell me about that spring. Is it a spring with the ends squared with none of the coils touching each other? Or does it have the ends ground off one or both ends but the end coils don't touch each other? Or does it have the ends ground down with the flat ends touching the next coil down?

Basically, the active coils are those coils that have not be ground down or heat rolled to touch the coil next to it. It's the coils that do the work of holding the car up instead of fitting into the spring bucket or spring mount.

Hope this helps.

Nick

I might have to take you up on that stagger.... What are your hours this saturday?

As for the type of springs...

They are standard stock metric springs for 1984 Regal... The ones on front are about a 5" outer diameter coil it doesnt look ground down or anything and I dont think any of the coils touch either... As for the back I think I remember them being called something like a tappered coil or something... The are wider in the center and tapper down to smaller outer diameter at the ends if that makes sense... LoL I know at the tops of the rear they are smaller outer diameters than in the center for sure... Its kinda hard since I am at work and they are at my shop.... :(

The front springs sound like you just have to count the number of complete coils.

The back springs are progressive rate springs if the outside diameter varies over the length of the coil. The only way to check those (unless you are very proficient in calculus) is to use a spring rate tester and record the rate at verious amounts of compression - say, for instance, every half-inch of compression.

Have fun!

Nick

Archived