Cleaning Up the Chassis

kn1ghtblade

What methods or products do you recomend to clean up some of the rust,grime, and dirt on the frame rails and chassis???? Also would you recomend painting with some sort of undercoating or just plain old paint???? Keep in mind I am not wanting to spend time sanding and grinding, I just need to get all the loose or caked on stuff off before I spray it with some sort of color or protectant.....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scratch pressure washing it off the suggestion list... LoL LoL

The pressure washer we would have had access too broke and got trashed, and car is unable to be loaded on a trailer to take to car wash.... :( :(

So any suggestions not requireing high powered water sprayers is needed... LoL LoL

You're pretty much limited to sandblasting or plain ole' elbow grease. Don't make the mistake we did and buy a cheap sandblaster from harbor freight. Unless you have a very large compressor with a good in-line drier, they don't work work worth poop.

An air chisel will take most of the body tar off in large chunks.

Have fun.

Just paint it. Every time a chunk falls off paint it again.

If you have young kids (3-5 yrs old) tell them to NOT remove all the YUCKY stuff then walk away for about an hour. When you return the chassis will be ready for paint.

Now that's true right there, I don't care who you are.

IF your to lazy to do the work .then you dont want to have a good car .NOW your cold and your lazy golly gee wiz . get the scraper out the grinder with a wire brush . get on your knees .. you take every thing you get off and put it in a pan and wiegh it .youll be supprised at how much it will come out to .and dont add under coat .

If you have young kids (3-5 yrs old) tell them to NOT remove all the YUCKY stuff then walk away for about an hour. When you return the chassis will be ready for paint.

That fits my kids right there especially my 3 yr old boy... LoL LOL

As for you oldtimer that was a low blow... LoL I just said in that previous thread that I hate cold weather that I was a tropical person... LOL LOL

We came to conclusion last night that for the really caked on stuff we are going to use Engine Degreaser to loosen it up a bit then spray as much off with a spray nozzel and water hose... Hopefully the degreaser works... After that wire brush head for our drill and elbow grease.... :)

Now is far as painting it, I have been told lighter colors are the best... Is this true? I was thinking of useing that spray on undercoating they sell or the bedliner stuff you can get in spray cans... Not sure if they offer that in lighter colors or just black though... Oldtimer since your in an autoparts store you might know the answer to all that... :)

As for you oldtimer that was a low blow... LoL I just said in that previous thread that I hate cold weather that I was a tropical person... LOL LOL

We came to conclusion last night that for the really caked on stuff we are going to use Engine Degreaser to loosen it up a bit then spray as much off with a spray nozzel and water hose... Hopefully the degreaser works... After that wire brush head for our drill and elbow grease.... :)

Now is far as painting it, I have been told lighter colors are the best... Is this true? I was thinking of useing that spray on undercoating they sell or the bedliner stuff you can get in spray cans... Not sure if they offer that in lighter colors or just black though... Oldtimer since your in an autoparts store you might know the answer to all that... :)

we sell it in black .and that was not a low blow . grey works good .we have light blue walmart cheapy .better that that high dallor stuff .you will have a hard time finding dropped tools bolts .loose bolts . oilleaks water leaks if you paint it black .brighter the better .

we sell it in black .and that was not a low blow . grey works good .we have light blue walmart cheapy .better that that high dallor stuff .you will have a hard time finding dropped tools bolts .loose bolts . oilleaks water leaks if you paint it black .brighter the better .

Blade,

light colors also help you see cracked welds or broken metal. Undercoat and bedliner type stuff also adds weight as mentioned earlier. Nascar teams actually work with paint mfgs. to pin down exactly how much the paint on their cars weigh and do everything to minimize it.

LoL Its all good, since the weather turned nasty nasty this weekend I am putting the work kinda on hold till about Thursday..... I am going to go degreaser, hose, and propane torch method to burn and clean some of this gunk off the chassis... As for the rust I am going to just go the Rustoleom Spray Paint route... LoL

Oldtimer you carry rustoleom and can get me a sweet deal on about 2 cases???? LoL LOL if not walmart here I come... LoL LoL

LoL Its all good, since the weather turned nasty nasty this weekend I am putting the work kinda on hold till about Thursday..... I am going to go degreaser, hose, and propane torch method to burn and clean some of this gunk off the chassis... As for the rust I am going to just go the Rustoleom Spray Paint route... LoL

Oldtimer you carry rustoleom and can get me a sweet deal on about 2 cases???? LoL LOL if not walmart here I come... LoL LoL

You oughtta be torchin it today. you could go outside and the car on fire would keep you warm. :D

Archived