Need Help please

Leo

Ill be driving a limited mod this season and was wondering how high my seat or should I say how high should I be over the dash panel? Is there a rule of thumb of what a driver should see looking out , for example when im in the car should i be able to see the left front tire , or is it not important to see that tire?

Please help im new to short trakin , converted drag racer.

Thanks Leo

Its always better to get that seat as low and far back ---------as you can get it . to high you will not be able to feel what the car is doing . the best way i have come up with .is to sit in the seat with the car on the ground .move it to different places .and sit there awhile . take your time get the feel that you can go to sleep there . and not get sore . mark it . try another spot .put something in front of your car a couple feet just aboult trunk leval . that way you have something to go off of .dont get in a hurry to mount that seat unless you really like it .mounting the seat where you want it in conjuction with the pedals wheel and vision is i believe the hardest part of building a car .it takes time .and is really important .every driver has his own feel .so other than what we do i cant tell you .

put it where ur comfortable. ur not gonna be able to see everything you want to , but feeling proper in the seat will save you from more wrecks than seeing everything will.

Thanks fellas for the replys ill try putting something in front of the car and see what that does, the car was set up for a driver that was 6' 3" im only 5' 11" so I think im going to have to raise it since I cant see much over the dash.

Thanks, Leo

if you are already reaching the pedals and the steering wheel you might want to just put some extra padding in the seat to move you up. if you sat the car on the ground , get some one to stand 2 foot in front of the car and if you can see their waste i think you are good.

Thanks fellas for the replys ill try putting something in front of the car and see what that does, the car was set up for a driver that was 6' 3" im only 5' 11" so I think im going to have to raise it since I cant see much over the dash.

Thanks, Leo

THe driver for our car is aboult 6.3 im 5 ' 8 all i did was add two inch spacer behind the seat i did not add anything under the seat . but i like my legs strieght .with a slight bend .so i can two foot drive ...which is faster around a track .

Ok Ill try the pad in the seat , I reach the pedals fine my legs are bent slightly my concern was how much I should be able to see while sitting in the car ill try having someone stand in front of the car. Right now im comfortable sitting in the car just not comfortable at how much I can see. I also know I dont want to be to high and get half covered in mud either. lol

Thanks all for the help, would any one know of a company that ships sheet aluminum for the doors at a reasonable price? I still have yet to hit up some of the metal places here in south Texas to see what they can do for me patial sponser maybe , but if anyone know of a company please let me know.

Your not going toget your seat where you can see everything .but with seat time that wont matter you will know whats around you front of you behind you in time .. also a problem is if you see to much around you .it can cause you to spend to much time looking .and that slows you down , and most good drivers will take advantage of your looking and use it against you .i have and have had that done to me .

Thats some good advise Oldtimer I could see where I could get cought up with what is going on around me that driving the car will would get slower. I never had to worry about stuff like that drag racing.

Thanks, Leo

I think you want to "see" way ahead of you and "feel" the perimeter of the car and whats around you.

The biggest thing that has been detrimental to my driving is when my hearing started getting weaker.

don't know how to explain "feel" very good. Other than seat time.

My brother and I have both found out that a higher seat allows you to see the car you are racing with better in close traffic.Sometimes an inch or two of clearence with another car can make all the difference especialliy in an open wheel car.In modifieds or any dirt track the biggest challange is getting side bite on dry slick.That means higher weight.Being comfortable is the most important and visibility is a close second.I have heel rests in all my cars to brace my feet kind of like foot pegs on a motorcycle does.You would be surprised how much better you can drive when you are secure including your legs.Imagine racing motorcross without foot pegs.I cant even imagine anyone driving with one foor in any case.The other thing that has helped me the most is a good set of ear plugs.Without the loud distractions of open headers I can consentrate on my driving better without distractions.A good driver is one who in always thinking about his next move.I even talk to myself to improve consentrating sometimes especially when i loose my marks.A lap car or dumb moves can get you off timing so anything that will help you to keep focused is good.Remember the best fighter is one who does not get mad.Keeping cool,focused, comfortable and being able to see where your car is will keep you driving good.Help this helps. Thumper

Thanks guys thats great advise, Ill try to remember it all when time comes. I cant wait for the first play day!!!!!!

Thanks,Leo

i like rookies .they never want the season to end and cant wait till it starts .just be smart leo get with the drivers that have raced .slow down ,youll go fast enough in time .dont go. gong hoe .cost to much that way .

Ill soak up all the info I can, and im gonna take it slow the first few time on the track or till I get cofortable with my car. I already know its more expensive I still have to get a snell rated helmet and the rest of my racing gear, my m rated helmet wont cut it and I only have a jacket which is getting pretty ratty.

Yeah I am concentrating on just my car getting built right now... I know my saftey equipment is going to be one of the biggest junks of money right now so I worry about that after I know my car is ready and its time to finish up the details...

W hen did they start makeing helments for bubble heads randy . :D:D:D:lol::lol::blink: im sorry randy just cant help myself . so i know you.ll going to get me some day .

"I was wondering though if a motor cycle helmet will work... LoL I can get one of those for free... LoL LoL I doubt its stout enough though... :

Aint that funny a motorcycle helmet will work for a drag racer ,1/4 mile 10 sec 130 mph and I have seen them as old as dot 90 mine was a m 96 lol ..... oh well. Time for being really safe which I find is ok nothing like knowing that that is what the helmet is made for, I didnt know about the rating till recently when I started looking for a new helmet if I had known I think I would have bought the right helmet not just something to pass tech.

Im excited for the season to start for the seat time I would like to see quite a few play days but I dont know with all that has gone on with the Modifed Nationals this year, I hope the promoter will give a few more play days, I guess we will see.

Thanks, Leo

Yea I just turned in my vacation slip for the week before the last practice session at SAS so I can hopefully get my car ready to get some seat time before the first race... If not first race should definately be interesting... LoL LoL LoL (Might need to take a change of shorts with me... LoL LoL LoL)

Ill do that I have seven acres that my neighbor farms Ill talk to him see if he will disc it flat for me. I just saw that we are getting one practice day Feb 24 then season starts on march 3rd. Not much time left.

Leo

seven acres .wow would be a large dirt track . i use to practice around our shop .even thow i was racen asphault .and every one at the shop and the next door .thought i was crazy .for if i missed my spots as hard as i was doing it ,i would go through the fence . 7 feet between fence and building on both sides .id slide that car in sideways . never hit a thing come close thow. yes i wasnt going as fast as at the track .but being a short 100 foot run and tight quarters . it gave me the same feel as being on the track .also worked at a salvage and took the old tool car through its trials around the place with out hitting anything .

Archived