Changes for 2007

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. New combined class should be called "Sportsman". Makes sense with similar classes around the country.

2. Set a wheel and tire size rule. Let the driver decide on the tire as long as it stays within a size limit (tread width limit and overall size limit).

3. Allow any cast iron head in Sportsman and don't reference brand like Dart, etc... Just specify no aluminum and specify cc minimum. Allowing the aftermarket heads is economical when you add up all the cost to prepare a set of used heads, trying to get them to flow right and everything else.

If any way possible Corpus, Pleasanton and Edna track owners should get together, agree on one set one set of rules for the Sportsman class, cause Edna is combining a class also, so that would be smart for all tracks. Run the class one Saturday at Corpus, other Saturday at Edna and whatever Friday night schedule at Pleasanton. You will get the car count that way if the owners discussed this class and agreed on a set of uniform rules for the South Texas group. The late model stock guys in Houston were dropped from HRP and formed their own group with their own rules and will be making dates at 4 or so tracks around the Houston general area. You will not draw every car in Sportsman class from Edna to Corpus or Corpus to Edna, but you will draw more cars to both places if you create uniform rules between the tracks. Would benefit drivers, all of the tracks in the zone, and make for some crowd pleasing car counts with some exciting racing.

owen some of us bomber drivers were talking about seeing if we could run 8'' rims since some already did ,let us run 8'' rims with 70 series tires thanks also see if we can run any cam as long as its 390/410

I agree with postell69. When bomber cars from CC Speedway came over to run they ran 8" wheels and 390\410 lift rule cams in the Bomber class. I am sure that at some point we will be seeing some CC cars running at the track.

Bobby Jack

Just my opinion! Dont want the tech job or manager job!

Its the bomber class. Supposed to be bone stock, enduro type cars. If your going to start adding all that crap might as well just have 1 class for that type of car...PURE STOCKS. They all look the same to the average fan.

owen some of us bomber drivers were talking about seeing if we could run 8'' rims since some already did ,let us run 8'' rims with 70 series tires thanks also see if we can run any cam as long as its 390/410

I agree with postell69. When bomber cars from CC Speedway came over to run they ran 8" wheels and 390\410 lift rule cams in the Bomber class. I am sure that at some point we will be seeing some CC cars running at the track.

Bobby Jack

Just my opinion! Dont want the tech job or manager job!

Its the bomber class. Supposed to be bone stock, enduro type cars. If your going to start adding all that crap might as well just have 1 class for that type of car...PURE STOCKS. They all look the same to the average fan.

all we was saying is we are trying to get car count up to and make it easy for other bomber from oyher tracks to come over and race with out making to many changes on there cars 390/410 is stock cam you can sometimes buy after market cam just as cheap as a gm cam

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I am thinking here.

Can you realistically expect a full stock framed car to compete with some of these super stocks that are aftermarket, light (these cars can put weight wherever the want to because of a chassis that probably weighs up to 200# less than a stock frame car)professionally built chassis that are basically modifieds with full bodies. I know your argument there will be, well, Gavlik did, and I know he did and hats off to him. If he can still do it with 8" tires, he's the man.

I know tires are the equalizer, but a better chassis can put the power to the ground way better than a stock frame car. As for power, if a street stock wants to be competitive, besides being way outclassed by super stocks in the chassis department, now he has to:

-compete with fiberglass or aluminum bodies

-compete with aftermarket ignition (MSD style)

-compete with or buy the stuff to run alcohol

-compete with or buy aftermarket heads (this is a good deal because stock heads are hard to find, but what are the limits cc, cfm, etc)

-drill the upper a-arm tower to get the right front end set up compared to super stocks

-compete with or buy aftermarket spindles

-compete with or buy aftermarket upper a-arms

-bowtie blocks allowed

-compete with or buy bowtie, world product, or dart heads

-install brake adjusters

-compete with or have to install aftermarket pedal assemblies which means you can move the driver further back than stock mounted pedals

Owen, don't take this as trying to knock this idea, these are just some concerns I have. Not saying that I am right, here. Maybe I am just looking for you or somebody else here to convince me that I am wrong on this deal. Just wanted to bring this up so that maybe I can understand this a little bit more.

FLYIN 34..........ziggy, david routen sr., gavlik, my car, are stock body cars maybe some aluminum doors but for the most part all stock body parts..and if you remember ziggy was the points leader down to the last few races.and then only dropped down in points because he missed a race.... Alcohol whats to buy? Street stocks are already allowed to run the 4412 holley so they install an alcohol carb kit and advance the timing and change plugs.maybe replace the squirters.street stock rules say replacement of stock (oem) doors front fenders quarter panels hood deck lids with aftermarket body parts ok..there are some differences in the rules between the two classes but for the most part they are pretty close to the same. Yes frames and upper control arms but there are full frame cars with stock upper control arms and without weight jacks that would out run some of the super stocks.My self i have wilwood dual master cylinder pedal kit with brake bias adjuster installed on a stock camaro firewall. Took some engineering but got it done. same with throttle linkage and pedal. Besides i bet a lot of the street stocks will be glad to run some different heads. Mine are camel humps and some of the others were running stock 882's of course they were machined. I know of several supers that have stock spindles as well.

my biggest thing was having to buy new wheels to replace the ones that i had just bought before the last race. Tires i had enough to make 2 maybe 3 races but would have had to buy tires eventually anyway. Glad that we are doing this now rather the later i was about to buy anothet set of tires.

it will not be just the street stocks making changes to compete. The supers will have to change gears in order to run the smaller tires

I have decided I don't want to argue so I wont say much but a few tidbits, this change may turn in to an excuse for people to go race else where and that was not the intent.

When I see guys in Modifieds running Gas and stock HEI in modifieds, and for that matter like Mike Riley running his street stock motor and competing I thought the street stock guys would be fine.

Joey and Jimbo were forced to take true pure stock cars and move up to street stock and compete becuase I asked them to do so yet they still competed so I figured the Street Stock Guys would be OK.

Yes when Mark Gavlik won the 2006 Super Stock Championship in a street stock I thought the street stock guys we be OK.

When I thought I could combine 2 classes into one have a good field of competitive cars that got paid what they were worth, I thought that would be a positive, guess I have not thought this through enough.

Sorry.

Owen

Get back with you guys later.

ok where is Jason in all of this he is usually the one stirring the pot..No offense meant to Jason...j/k..If any of my post have offended anyone my appologies was not running on anybody.. I was thinking that we were all going out to have fun maybe some got carried away including myself...David Terrell

Jason. The bomber rules are good. The only reason we wanted the lift rule cam is because the cars that come from cc to run in this class already have these camshafts, Also most of us came from that track and we have those cams. The other solution would be to make them run with purestocks, but that wasnt what happened.

Bobby Jack

I know what your sayin Bobby. The reason I said that was because I might get a car to run in enduro/bomber class and the true intent of the class is to be bone stock go out and have fun with a car you havent modified. Just some ideas. I agree though. Make cc bombers run with sts pure stocks.

Guest Top Dog Graphix

Why don't you allow a big 10 inch tire on the RF as an option in the "hobby stock" , it works in Killeen, and will slowly burn up those 10 inch tires sitting there..

Glad to see you decided to rethink the choice to combine classes. It was going to cost the Streetstocks alot of time and money to get just the motor components to compete with the SS guys. Thats not even getting to chassis differences. I hope you make the right choice for everyone including the track .

owen all i have to say what ever changes you make i think will be the right one as you know you cant make every body happy and as for the bombers i know alot of us will be back an dwe are trying to get car count up i think most of us would even try pure stocks class if we had to so thank you again for the good times we had this season and have a merry x-mas

ralph postell

07 bomber car

LETS MOVE THE STREET STOCKS UP TO SUPPER STOCK,THE ONLY THING WE DID ON OUR CAR WAS PUT ON 4 YEAR OLD 10" TIRES & WHEELS D55. ADDED METHONAL & WENT RACING. SUPER STOCK WAS ALOT MORE EXCITING WITH THE CLOSE BUMPER TO BUMPER,FENDER TO FENDER RACING ALL YEAR LONG.STREET STOCK WAS DOMINATED BY BILL STEPHENS UNTIL THE VERY END OF SEASON.IF YOU LOOK AT THE RESULTS SUPER STOCK HAD A PERCENTAGE POINT HIGHER CAR COUNT THAN STREET STOCKS.OWEN THERE WERE 15 SUPER STOCKS & 16 STREET STOCKS START THE $1000 TO WIN RACE. THIS JUST INFO I GOT OFF THIS SITE. WE WILL BE READY TO RACE!!!! THANKS FOR THE PLACE TO RACE.

Combine the 2 classes and decide on a tire size. Raise the purse and call it sportsman or something. If everyone is set on 8 inch wheels and G60's, then do it. If everything is set on ten inch wheels and tires, do it. When I lived in Tennessee, we ran ten inch wheels and tires on street stocks, but they were the asphalt pulloffs, F45, F60's etc. You could get them ungrooved and groove them yourself for $20 bucks a tire, or u could get them already grooved for around $40 bucks a tire. They had 2 dealers up there, one a race shop and one a race track. Personally, if everyone wants to look like a late model, you need ten inch wheels and tires. Everyone just needs to decide something. As far as the purse goes, I live in the valley, and race a hobby car for $65.00 to win. In Tennessee, the least I raced for was $300.00 to win and that was a street stock with a vaccum rule. So Im up for anything on the purse. Thats just my opinion. Thanks.

Kevin

At the risk of being chastized again I will add my 2 cents.I dont race this class but I do have 36 years of track experience.Combining the class is a good idea if it helps the car count,the show and the purse.What the guy in the lower division must ask is where can I finish compaired to where I finish now and how does the money compare in each spot.If 4th pays the same as 1st would now,the money has not changed.The name Sportsman sounds like the perfect name,most tracks use that name for their second top class behind late models.Be careful on the tire deal,the guy who wants to win will use everything available to succede.He will have fresh tires with a varity of compounds to have a tire for every condition.Thats 3 sets with spares.Also with more tire comes the need for more power.A big tire car could use 200 more HP than a smaller tire car so you will need that power too.You can run old tires and less power but with a good purse someone will have everything.The tire dealer wins all the money.There are no 10" pulloffs at Corpus at eather track.My suggestion to you is to adapt the same tire used on the modifieds,not necessarly IMCA approved.There are hundreds of American Racers and now the Hoosers all over and these are dependable.They are also good used by gringing the surface occasionally.They have prooven to be fast,even faster than the 11" Marsh recaps used at RGS.They work well on heavy cars too.Basset makes cheap dependable wheels 8" wide with or without beadlocks.And if you need to you could borrow a spare from a modified guy in an emergency.It just makes sense.

Whats even more important is the way this tire evens the horseopwer playing field.Who need 700 HP if you can only put down 400?The racing will be better and put more in the hands of the driver.The chassis man will have to work harder to get the most from the setup.And with the starting by points average there will be a lot of side by side racing with the best driver and chassis man that nite winning.Do you really want a show or not.This tire is the biggest success item in IMCA period.How fast would a 700HP modified be with 10" racing tires?Under 14 sec,?You have to live with this decision all year.Remember too how sometimes the track gets abrasive and will eat your tires right off the car.Can you buy new ones every race or 2?Lower class,do your best and add pieces during the year as your budget allows.Higher class,put the lesser tires and start driving to victory,You already have the advantage,All you guys,get that car count up to 25 and more then ask for more money.You have the chance to steal the show away from modifieds if you want to.Thats what makes racing go round and round. Thumper

Archived