RGS nationals

jbjr

I expect posts in this thread to contain NO BASHING.

Thanks.

Nick Holt

not bashing ..a little heads up would have not wasted several trips...looking for a little communication thats all..Did not know it was cancelled after a trip there Saturday evening.. reshedule for 11 am Sunday ..show up at ten... they cancel , get home and read that they are back on ..head back down.. no, they are cancelled again... just a little frustrated and we are just fans.. I can imgagine the racers and fans from out of town that drove in Saturday and Sunday...

Nick,if a promoter is shafting the drivers,should we not be warned?its not BASHING the promoter,its the message board doing its job.he has made the choice to not answer the drivers.what does that tell us.its got to be a two way street.the track cannot just get the good printed.then its lying to the drivers and owners.we are the ones that foot the bill to make a track work.when a track fails the drivers,we should know the truth..... frank torres

Nick,if a promoter is shafting the drivers,should we not be warned?its not BASHING the promoter,its the message board doing its job.he has made the choice to not answer the drivers.what does that tell us.its got to be a two way street.the track cannot just get the good printed.then its lying to the drivers and owners.we are the ones that foot the bill to make a track work.when a track fails the drivers,we should know the truth..... frank torres

Frank,

The truth can be told without bashing anyone. But as we all know, there are boards out there where people bash their brains out. If that's your style, then have at it over there -- but not on this board.

I'm sure that if you really think about it you will realize that the only way a promoter is going to get on a forum and attempt to explain things is when he knows someone is there to stop the bashing if it shows up.

Looking over your post again, do you think maybe the phrase "promoter is shafting the drivers" could have been toned down a bit?

Nick

Whowon's dirt modified forum satisfies our needs better anyways for those who are in the dirt scene.

The truth, if it causes controversy, is not allowed under Nick's moderation. So lie, lie, lie. Hell I see it in half the PR's I read uhhh or dont read anymore.

J

Frank,

The truth can be told without bashing anyone. But as we all know, there are boards out there where people bash their brains out. If that's your style, then have at it over there -- but not on this board.

I'm sure that if you really think about it you will realize that the only way a promoter is going to get on a forum and attempt to explain things is when he knows someone is there to stop the bashing if it shows up.

Looking over your post again, do you think maybe the phrase "promoter is shafting the drivers" could have been toned down a bit?

Nick

Nick,i did not single J,JOHNSON out on this deal.but i think he owes all the drivers and fans that drove there an explanation,or an opoligy.i did not go over last years lack of tech,he knew that up front.but it was still something i wanted to watch.if his reps are going to use this forum as a tool to reach the drivers and fans,why not an early,CANCELLED before many spent the money to drive down there.and yes i feel in my heart that the drivers got the big SHAFT.maybe he has the track sold and did not care about what this would do to racing there.but then again if it hurts racing,i think he should answer for his actions.did this hurt racing,HELL YES!.and who is the blame.NOT THE WEATHER!!!!!...../and you know i respect your views and the board rules,so there is no disrespect toward what you do on board.just feel this man shafted RACING and the racers......frank t.

Nick,i did not single J,JOHNSON out on this deal.but i think he owes all the drivers and fans that drove there an explanation,or an opoligy.i did not go over last years lack of tech,he knew that up front.but it was still something i wanted to watch.if his reps are going to use this forum as a tool to reach the drivers and fans,why not an early,CANCELLED before many spent the money to drive down there.and yes i feel in my heart that the drivers got the big SHAFT.maybe he has the track sold and did not care about what this would do to racing there.but then again if it hurts racing,i think he should answer for his actions.did this hurt racing,HELL YES!.and who is the blame.NOT THE WEATHER!!!!!...../and you know i respect your views and the board rules,so there is no disrespect toward what you do on board.just feel this man shafted RACING and the racers......frank t.

i agree We bought three day entry for 25.00 piece to watch these races.. saw two and no final.. we as fans lost out also.. $50.00 for 2days race .. plus numerous trips to the track . I know we are not the only ones to experience this..

Frank,

Well, you certainly have singled him out now. LOL...

Frank, I did not remove your earlier post. I simply asked you to tone it down. And, again, I ask that anyone posting here on TXSZ refrain from bashing this promoter (or anyone else for that matter) whether you feel it is justified or not.

And remember, there are always two sides to every controversy. Unless you were in the room with the promoter when his decisions were made, you don't have the whole story.

I am not taking sides here. I don't know the individuals involved and have never been to that track. For all I know, this promoter could be entirely at fault. But even if he is at fault, bashing him is not permitted here.

Nick Holt

There are 2 sides to every story.It seems to me the lesson to be learned here is not to put ypour eggs in a single basket.For many years now RGS has relied on the Nationals to keep it in the limelite and Modifieds to be the savior of racing in general.It has forsaken the body cars,Hobbies,Bomers and Thunders which have built the speedway in the first place.From the posts on the other network you can see what that has gotten them.Right or wrong,the RGS promoter did what he thought was right and those premodanas turned on him.At STS when I thought my class was wronged that promoter rectifided it to the satisfaction of those involved.But to STS all classes were important,not just the open wheel cars.Soon we will see if real stock cars have a place in todays local racing by what CC Speedway does.They have no open wheel cars and no hi dollar cars so not much chance of premadanas with heavy demands.I have raced RGS on and off since 1983 and have made the last 2 stock car races this year.They have had 5 owners and Mr Johnson is the most recent.He inhearted a mess as I see it,the body cars are almost non existent,the limiteds are a mixture of other division drivers,some of which were forced to leave their division,and the rest are the hi dollar teams who also run modifieds and take away any chance of a budget team for wins.Not unlike the Cup guys in Bush.All the budget teams left modifieds like what has happened to so many tracks across the country.The result was the track catered to a handfull of well off teams who basically got all they demanded.And these are the teams wanting to crusify him now and not just for this past weekend.As I see it now is the time for RGS to re-invent itself and do what is necessary to get these stock cars back on track.The modifieds are an important part of dirt track racing but ONLY A PART.They will have to pay Thunders more than 40$ and Hobbies more than 50$ plus promote them as well as pure stocks or Bomers to again build the backbone of the program.Remember,the most successful racing series in the world is NASCAR,and they race full body cars.Lets hope that from the ashes of a troubled weekend a new beginning can take place at RGS and they can again become a popular STOCK CAR track.A smart promoter in todays economy is one who will do all he can to get back the neighborhood racer on a budget along with his family and friends because we outnumber the wealthy teams 100 to 1.And once their back,its time to enhance the show itself.I hope all promoters read this,wake up and smell the sunflowers boys,they grow wild but the roses take too much special handeling.I would love to hear what others think about their thoughts on the AVERAGE JOE RACER Vs THE HI DOLLAR TEAMS.We all know racing is in trouble overall.JMO

At STS the door cars got their race. The minis even got their run what ya brung race and it was a bust. Let me the mods and limiteds have their race. On the flipside I could whine about them letting pure stocks run the Turkey Shootout but I know thats probably where Owen made the most money. Door cars got their race. Mods get their race.

And GB, the most successful racing series in the WORLD is F1 and well....they are open wheel. :)

Well Jason thank you for echoing my comments exactly.How successful would STS be without the fender cars?Thats exactly what happened to RGS and thats what this thread was about.Notice how quickly an open wheeled guy uses the word WHINE and is eager to cut down another class?If the mini race was a bust,that is the responsibility of the promoter,not the people who did race.Its easy to see you have picked up the open wheel attitude and look down on others.Thats exactly what has hurt RGS the most.Im hoping Johnny,Mike,Maurice and the others see this and correct it.It is in fact my HOME track,30 minutes away.If they still had most of the racers they have run off over the years with a bad attitude they would have 150 cars nitely.Right now theres not a dozen fender cars altogether,they got tired of living in the shadow of modifieds.ALL race cars are of equal importance and if you want to help STS you will see this.That superior attitude will help the paved track the most. The measure of a strong man is to bend down to help a child.

RGS has made many errors in the past,not under the current director.Rule changes to eliminate certain cars,restrictions on certain drivers.Witchunts.Things like having 27 metrick bomers,most of which were 454 powered Monte Carlos and suddenly changing the wheelbase rule to 118 inches because Mr T thought they were too fast.Mr S to;d the Thunder guys at the banquet anybody that was fast would have 100 lbs of weight added to their front bumper repeatedly until they were not fast.The hobbie cars were allowed to be built out of old modified chassis because the owner had several to get rid of.That put the real hobbie cars at a disadvantage.One driver was responsible for them making a rule that modified drivers could not drive a hobby car,That was the stupidest one yet.The current owner does not pay any fender cars a real purse so the money can go to open wheel cars.The pit passes cost the same for them.They are considered a lesser form of racing.I hope this is a wake up call.

GB I dont see where I put down your "type of cars". I was just disagreeing with you on your opinion. Sounds like you look down on open wheel cars. I don't look down on the streets, pures, or supers. Hell I dont even look down on the Minis. Look at EJ. He can drive a damn car whether it be a SS or a mini. What I am saying is all the WHINING yes I finally say it that takes place with the mini cars about having their own big show and most of the locals with cars dont even show up! Ever look at this forum after EVERY SINGLE TPS race? (NO NEIL AND OLDTIMER THIS IS NOT AN OPEN INVITATION FOR YOUR OPINIONS) Always something. Its not your fault GB. I dont hear you whining and you brought your car to the big race. Tracks do need a purestock type class to make money off of since the open wheel cars generally pay out more. Look at limited mods though. Their pay isn't exactly that hot. You seem to have this open wheel vs door car outlook. Why? Its not like that at my home track STS. Everyone races and has a good time. Let the premier cars (mods) have their big race. Let the doorcars have their big race. Ask a fan with no family or friend affiliation in the pits what they come to watch. Most will say the premier class with the premier drivers (Lawrence, Stevie, and Majek at our track) hey its reality but let me say...recently I was telling a guy about me racing here and he asked me if that black #77 karmen ghia still raced.

just wanted to know why they wasted time by canceling -reschedule -cancel.. not about open wheeled and door cars...got off topic...

Why not give the track a call and find out why? Or invite them to post a response here...

Having been in on the decision-making process when the weather is iffy, I can assure you that the decision is never an easy one. Usually, no matter what your decision someone will be upset - either you cancelled it too soon or not soon enough - or you should have known that it was going to clear up even though the weather forecast predicts bad weather - or you should have known that it was going to pour just before the heat races... etc. etc...

Again, if you're really wanting to know the "why" of the decision, check with the person who made the decision.

Nick

I apologise if I sounded offensive Jason.You cant understand about the things Ive been talking about without having been involved with RGS as many years as I have.I was the one that got their Thunder Car program started and my wife had the first one.We got the car count up to over 20 cars weekly until the owner started throwing out my guys one by one telling them they need to "move up" to a V8 car.The only thing they did wrong was to work on their cars and bring race ready cars to the track so they all (7of them) did well.This witchunt went on after my guys all quit and spilled over to other classes.To do good at RGS was a bad thing.You have never experienced this at STS.I hope you never do so remember every racer in the pits is your brethtren.And every track is your friend.I know there is an effort going right now to revive Thunder Cars at RGS right now and I hope RGS management reads this thread.I hope Mike will respond.I really think RGS should have an adress here on TSZ like the other tracks do.As racers if theres anything we can do to help RGS survive AND become a track we could look up to we should even if we never race there.It would be nice if RGS and STS would have the same rules so both could benifit.On a different note,how about a grudge match between your limited and EJs hunder car ?That would be exciting.

Bourne I was saying that by applying the logic GB was using. THe pures were fine. I agree with you about that BMain in the limiteds. Being in that race with an ill handling car after i killed the rf and rr sucked. I think its funny how guys dont mind tearing up 1000 dollars worth of stuff for $250. GB I dont have a grudge against EJ. I want to see EJ get a limited.

At this point in time I can only respond to why we didn't update the website. To tell you the exact truth, I don't know, that is not something that I am privy to. I do know that the person who does this also has many, many other tasks. The website is something that we did not realize is used as much it is, unless we come onto other websites with forums and post links and stuff to get people to our site. I have never been aware of anyone going to the site to find out if we are rained out or not, I will let the others know that this is an area to work on in the future.

We did keep the answering machine updated at the track. I know that we had a power shortage for awhile and the machine was not working.

I am sorry that you made several trips to the track. Saturday evening all looked good until right about 5 from what I remember. Sunday morning when I arrived it was very obvious to me that there was going to be no race. Again, all I can offer is my apology and a promise to work on this to attempt to make it better in the future.

As for all of the other things happening right now, this weekend was bad for everyone involved. The promotor did not make any money because he couldn't have the big show, the racers didn't make any money because they didn't get to run the big show. The decision that Johnny made on the pay was the fairest way in our opinion. Instead of paying 84 people (the only people that would have gotten any pay) as if we had run the big show, we decided to pay everyone. I know that what everyone got paid was not enough, but it was at least their preregistration fee.

i dont know where this thread is headed but it sure got off track.if you wanna talk about other stuff then repost. i think this post was started to get the scoop about why the race didnt happen. obviously the weather was the start of the problem. now where it went from there,only the promoter can answer that. do ya think if it was sunshine and blue skies the race wouldnt of happened? sure what took place was wrong,but dont blame it on fender or no fender cars, blame it on the great allah

I wasnt at the track this year, but was at the track 2 years agoand the same thing only heavy rain friday and the pits were knee deep in mud, rained all the way till saturday morning, they were behinfd i schedual but the Saturday show was a heavy fast fast track, infact the best and fastest show I ever seen, but they got it in, the races friom 2 pm till the fog rolled in and coulnt see the cars, the raced all day Sunday, cold damp and they raced, from the sounds of things it was worse then tahn this year and they were cancelled, I remember in Abilene for the Southern Challenge having to roll in the pits just to get racecars in, but the show went on, again wasnt there but it dont sound like much effert was made to get the show in, glasd I didnt make the 5 hour trip. Hope all goes well as we need as many dirt track as possible due to not very many around.

Jason I agree, dont make sence, I made it to the "A" AND STARTED LAST, i KEPT SEEING EVERYONE BREAKING AND BREAKING AXELS AND HUBS, SO i DECIEDED SINCE IT WAS PAYING THE SAME TO START AS TO FINISH 10TH, i WAS JUST GOING TO RIDE AND FINISH,sorry for the caps in wrong place, lol,lol, and did just that, finished 12th made a 100 dollars and have no repairs, vs. those making the same 100 dollars and tore the [edited out by Nick Holt, 12/5/06] out of there car.

If front straight is the track, then I would say everyone has their answer. It might not be one they like, but most of the times when these kind of decisions are made that's about all you can ask for is an answer. Sounds reasonable to me. Sounds like he knows that with hindsight he could have done it different. But that's life I guess. As far as all the other stuff about the track, well that sounds more like gossip and opinion and doesn't do much to help anybody- track or racer.

Archived