Old Pics From TWS?

79racing

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not hold a SLM race there? Get a sponsor and have something like the Snowball.I've never seen a race there but I think that would be a good race to go see.

TWS no longer holds races involving spectators. The grandstands are not usable, as they are sinking due to unstable dirt under them.

Even when Dick Conole was still alive, they were getting away from having spectator events. They make too much money off private testing and club racing, and they don't have to contend with concessions, etc.

• 4 years later...
Posting these for John Salazar.

1st photo -- I believe that's Paul Jett in the red chevette in Sedan Class.

Many of those TROC cars ran great going into turn 1 thru the road coarse sections, but when they hit the back stretch and needed to open it up I saw a lot of the motors blow in turn 4. I don't believe they had dry sumps, so oil on the track was the norm.

I seem to remember more than 1 car that flipped and rolled into the 4th turn tunnel.

those races were great. If you volunterred to cook chili you could get 6 team-members, 2 cars into the races for about $25-30. You just showed up on Saturday morning, cooked, parties and camped out in the infield. And that came with Garage Passes. What a deal.

If you volunterred to cook chili you could get 6 team-members, 2 cars into the races for about $25-30. You just showed up on Saturday morning, cooked, parties and camped out in the infield. And that came with Garage Passes. What a deal

Better than that, As racers, we got 14 people into the pit area with just three passes. They stapled them on, and we passed them through the fence to the next person. And for several years, the same guy checked passes at the gate, and after we invited him to camp breakfast in the infield, and gave him free access to the big smoker we had on a 2 axle trailer, we could basically walk in on his watch, pass or not.

Now, those same 14 people in one room at the Aggieland Inn was another story I would rather not get into......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a TROC weekend you have there. The first pic is a driver's meeting with TROC Founder Neil Upchurch holding court in the white hat.

That clown is Wynn Wilkerson.

The second pic has the #60 of Johnny Gray from New Mexico. (Same Johnny Gray now racing Nitro Funny Cars in NHRA). behind him is Greg Davidson in his familiar #96, and behind Greg is Jim Pallas in his blue #4.

The white car outside of Gray is possibly Chet Fillip. This looks like a car that the Fillips had at their shop for a few years. IF it is the car I am thinking about, it was first raced at San Antonio for a few races; about half a year by Jerry Schild. A Ray Dillon Chassis, and the funding came from Houston owner Jim Rice. When Rice pulled the plug, it ended up in San Angelo. The Circle Bar Corral is the Tom Mitchell business we are all familiar with.

This car that originally had Schild in it went on to become Greg Spreen's first TIDA Late model.

The pics are 1988 or before, TROC did not run there in 89 or 90 due to the sale and rebuild of the track. You can tell by the old grandstand colors and the pressbox, pre 1988.

Now, you have just posted pics of some cars that have never been on Speedzone before. Now you gotta go find some more of your Dad's pics and get them on here!

Seriously, Thanks for posting them. am going to email Johnny Gray the pic of this car; he'll get a kick out of it. We talked in Houston last year, and he had fond memories of the TROC weekends, and has always been complimentary towards Upchurch and Pit Steward Cotton Sherland about the way they ran the race weekends there.

• 1 month later...
#51 was Leroy Farmer for a long time, but I don't think this one is him. Will have to scour around for some reference stuff.

The car behind Wally in the second pic, a red and white one, is a #5 car. Looks to be a Mopar of some type. I believe John Newlin of Houston was running that number back then.

Do you have dates on those pics? Look to be '81 or '82.

The blue #51 is Leroy Farmer. Here's a picture of the sme car at Longhorn Speedway/Speed-O-Rama. This was my favorite of all of his cars. It also had the Budwiser Clydsdale on the hood if I remember right. He was sponsered by Budwiser at this time.

post-3120-1190764737_thumb.jpg

Remember when Leroy had the Old cutlass body? Looked like an old Modified coach. Also remember the quote unquote Eldorado body? I think that car is shown elsewhere on this site. I remember when he tried to win the race at Austin on the first lap, went up high and created a third lane around the outside. only problem was, the fence was there! Knocked both right side tires off and wheels off. Came around on the hubs only. Oh well

• 2 weeks later...

Randall Cook, Indianapolis, IN driving my 1927 Miller Boyle Valve Spl tribute Car at TWS 11/09 Historic Champ/Indycar Assn. in conjunction with The Corinthian Sports Car Club of Houston.

the original car was designed for the Boardtracks and bricks of the AAA Championship Trail 1926-1929 91ci formula. Three days at TWS came pretty darn close to what it must of been like on the high banked wooden saucers.

carl schulz

indio, ca

post-3-1342595319.jpg

link to TWS Album 11/09 http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/...1-09/?start=all

• 1 month later...

Here is more of the Indy Cars at the CVAR event. I flagged Turn 2 for one of the sessions.

I have attended scores of Roadraces at TIS/TWS from it's first day (a SCCA race to shakedown a month before the CANAM). I had lost this site, I'll try to contribute more in the future.

post-3-1342595109.jpg

post-3-1342595114.jpg

post-3-1342595119.jpg

post-3-1342595125.jpg

post-3-1342595130.jpg

post-3-1342595135.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just found this site this weekend. Cowboy Gonzales is my father-in-law, and we decided to do some internet searches an old racecar he had one time. There is some history to it regarding Benny Parson's, don't quite know the full story, but very interesting.

Hope to get more info on his past as he has some old 8mm home movies that I recently converted of races at TWS. Still new to the site, but if I figure it out one day, will set up a link on You.tube or another for viewing.

Thanks, any information you have on Cowboy is appreciated. When he saw his name mentioned on this site, it was like a kid at Christmas. It's harder for him to get around, but he's still going at 80+ years old.

Thanks.

• 5 years later...
On 3/28/2012 at 11:18 PM, Chris Taylor said:

Here's some pictures I dug up, not sure about details as they're from my dad's photo collection. Looks to me like it was with an SCCA weekend as there's SCCA cars on grid for the start of the stock car race.

HjFYmh.jpg

RebhJh.jpg

6Aou2h.jpg

I raced a 1969 L88 corvette in these TRoC races in either 1985 or 1986. I can't tellif this is one that I was an entrant in. I also competed in one the same year in Monterey Mexico. The Monteerey Mexico race was won by the Mexican owner of the track in a factory BMW 3.5 CSL.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Ray Scott said:

Before race-------after race------ the next weekend at the car show.  We were good back then!

Image (16).jpg

Image (13).jpg

Image (14).jpg

# 59 Next Weekend At car show.jpg

On the #59, did you blow a tire that weekend and it took out the side?

8 hours ago, Ray Scott said:

Blew right rear tire at top speed running down front straight.

It seems to me I may have seen this. I was there the same weekend they had the Winston West & ARCA together in a race??? Darrel Waltrip had won that one. In another race I recall a white car going down the front and I believe just before the turn someone blew a tire. I was amazed how much damage it did.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived