Old Pics From TWS?

79racing

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I found some of my old pictures from TWS . . . know I have a bunch more somewhere!

The first picture is a six-wide race out of Turn 4. It's hard to indentify the cars/drivers.

The second picture is Turn 1 and the entrance to the road course.

The third picture shows the cars coming off pit road.

Unfortunately there's no date on the back of the pictures, so maybe someone can guess the approximate date.

We sure had some good times and lots of stories from TWS.

post-29-1165771238_thumb.jpg

post-29-1165771781_thumb.jpg

post-29-1165772027_thumb.jpg

Debbie, based on some of the infrastructure in the bottom two photos, they were taken after the big rebuild of the track in the late 80's. This would place those pics as 1991 or later. The road course entry is the later configuration, as well as all that covered pit space behind pit road.

I am going to place the bottom two pics as around 1996, Which is I think is the last time the late models ran there. There appears to be a mix of Luminas and Monte Carlos in the pic of them lined up on pit road. That year, 1996, David Starr and Tommy Grimes split twin features.

The first pic you posted looks like the original track configuration. I seem to recognize a couple cars that place that photo in the mid 80's. Take a look at the back of the feld, you can see early style camaros and such. That wouls have been in the 80's. Remember H.B. Bailey's old #36 road race camaro he would dust off every year? I believe Ronnie Chumley ran it up there a time or two, also.

Post some more if you have them.

WoW, they are six wide and still could fit one more car in there!

These were some of the best times in Texas racing that I can remember. A big thank-you to Neil & Terry Upchurch, and their staff, for giving us "old timers" such fond memories.

I think it would be great for all of the current racers to expierence such times. They would respect their fellow racers more.

Thanks Neil,

Mel

In Deb's photo of the cars lined up for grid, I recognize Larry's car. Does anyone recognize any of the other cars there?

At the truck race, I was sitting with some friends in the stands, a very rare thing for me to do......

In the second picture the cars are #17 Lawrence Mikulencak, #74 Phillip Lyall in the ex-Freddy Fryar Nova that was so quick around here in the late 70's/early 80's. The Lyalls still have that car in Houston.

The orange and white car is the #22 Vita Fresh car, but I don't think Finger is driving it here. I believe it is Gary Van Liew, whose dad, Gordon, was owner of Vita-Fresh. Gary only drove a short while.

The #06 is Jerry Edwards from CC, and that looks like the ex-Terry Labonte car that Terry won the 1977 Hwy 16 Championship in, and later Slick Yoemans won the 1979 championship in it driving for Cheathem.

That was the first car to ever go over the fence at Hwy 16, turn 1. They rebuilt it and Edwards bought it.

#97 is our old San Antonio friend Wally Garcia.

The rest are a little obscure, would like to see the cars from a different angle.

#51 was Leroy Farmer for a long time, but I don't think this one is him. Will have to scour around for some reference stuff.

The car behind Wally in the second pic, a red and white one, is a #5 car. Looks to be a Mopar of some type. I believe John Newlin of Houston was running that number back then.

Do you have dates on those pics? Look to be '81 or '82.

Probably right, Nick.

I don't recall that paint job, but maybe the years are causing that.

But looking again, the number font is one he used.

Sonewhere, I got a picture of the hand built body he called the "Cadillac', Remember that one?

I wasn't there, but went to the next race and they had pics in the program. I think it was Eddie Wachs(?), he got together with another car coming thru 4 and went down the banking, "through" a concrete retaining wall, and tumbled down by the tunnel going under turn 4.

I think this was early 80's, maybe even 1980 or so. Aggieland 250 or something like that. He walked away from what I remember of the story.

Billy

Actually tha is Bob Brevak's car. The blue Ford wrecker was one of Waldo Harper's, and wew were there working the USAC and TRC races. When we got to the car Bob was standing outside of it, but had no idea where he was or how he got there.

Terry Barden

Archived