Barker Bags Big Bucks in Tx. State Sportsman Champ

Barker Bags Big Bucks

by J M Hallas

San Antonio, TX (October 22, 2006) - Robert Barker showed the Sportsman class why he was the 2005 NASCAR Late Model track champion and contender in 2006. Barker, in a newly built car for one of his crew members, grabbed the top spot on lap 1, held off early challenges and cruised on to take the win in the Texas State Sportsman Championship.

Barker started along side polesitter, David Hassinger and got a good jump as the green flag waved on the 16-car field for 50 lap feature event. Barker. Fast qualifier, Jamie Fuller had trouble getting up to speed, but was able to get along side Hassinger on the back stretch. The two were still battling on lap 1, while Jarod Benker and Tater Mason were door to door for fourth.

In the pack, seven cars were battling hard for positions with David Webster trying the high side on Keith Garrett on lap 3. Garrett rebounded from that challenge and got by Mark Mathias on lap 4 for the sixth spot. Meanwhile, up front, Barker was increasing his lead over Fuller and Hassinger. Mathias’ problems continued as he fell back through the field, eventually tagging the wall on lap 7 to bring out the first caution.

On green, Barker was able to get away, while Garrett tried to get by Mason for fifth. Craig Crawley was slow off turn 2 and got rear-ended by Chad Menard on lap 8 stacking up the field behind them. Mason brought out the red flag on lap 12 when he blew up going into turn 1, taking himself and Garrett into the wall. Several cars spun through the fluid and Robert Mayberry clipped the tail of Mason as he slid down the banking.

Under red, Menard’s crew came out on track to work on the car causing Menard to be disqualified. Once clean up was complete, Fuller was unable to get his car restarted and was forced to drop out from second. Once back to green, Barker got two car lengths on Hassinger as the field settled into to some green flag racing.

On lap 18, Hassinger starting to show some smoke from under the car, but no signs of slowing down. The top five separated out, by equal margins, while Greg Carluchi, Webster, and Mayberry battled for sixth. As the mid-point it was Barker Hassinger, Benker, Garrett and Greg Rohmer running in the top five.

Webster began to put pressure on Carluchi taking looks inside him coming out of the corners. As Barker built a half straightaway lead over Hassinger, with big gaps between the top five, the best fight for position was still for sixth between Carluchi, Mayberry, Webster and Mathias, who was laps down after his earlier trouble.

Webster got a run on Carluchi down the front stretch on lap 38 and got along side in turn 1-2, but Carluchi was off the corner better to hold the spot. The duo continued to slug it out until lap 42 when Carluchi slid high giving Webster the chance to dive under for sixth. Carluchi then began to get looser and looser and was slowing on lap 45. Benker tapped the turn 2 wall on that lap and yellow was thrown to check the track for fluid, erasing Barkers big lead with just five to go. Under the yellow, Hassinger was checked for leaks and sent to the pits.

When the green flag waved again, Barker had a lapped car as a buffer the others and took advantage getting out to a nice lead. Garrett and Rohmer both got by a wounded Benker for second and third. Benker would continue to fade and Webster would pull to the pits giving up his top five spot. As the white was shown, Barker, in the Mission Auto Parts, Screen Pro Graphics, Chevy Camaro, had a comfortable margin and snagged the checkers and the $1,500 payday.

“I want to thank Wesley Weyles, this is his car,” said Barker. “The first time out, it’s pretty impressive. I had a good time thanks to Mission Auto Parts, Tom Hamilton and those guys did a good job on the motor. Thanks to Screen Pro for doing the lettering. All in all what a day we had a lot of fun out there, it’s a little different from driving a late model. It was the first time the car was out and I didn't know how it was going to do on a long run. Lucky it held on enough, and I was able to stay in front of everyone. I am proud of everyone. We worked real hard to get this car here and everything turned out great, so we are happy.”

San Antonio Speedway Sportsman, 50 Laps

1. 44 Robert Barker

2. 31 Keith Garrett

3. 51 Greg Rohmer

4. 21 Robert Mayberry

5. 55 Jarod Benker

6. 6 Craig Crawley

7. 48 Pat Lyon

8. 1 David Webster

9. 20 Mark Mathias

10. 83 David Hassinger

11. 34 Greg Carluchi, Jr

12. 40 Stan Eastey

13. 93 Jamie Fuller

14. 12 Tator Mason

15. 28 David Schooman

DQ'ed 5 Chad Menard - worked on car under red on track

Actually the car was not touched under red, I think that was obvious. When we parked on the front stretch, there was a lot of smoke coming from under the rear end. I asked the offcial numerous times to look, but he kept saying it was ok without looking, probably didn't know what he was looking for anyway, go figure. Smoke just doesn't appear for no reason. I needed to know what it was, didn't wanna have to pull in and lose my spot if I didn't have to, so my dad came out and looked. After he walked back across pit road, I was told to park it. So no, nobody touched the car under red. A few more officials that know whats going on would help. I understand the rule, and know why I was dq'ed, but when it's your money and son inside a car that obviously has a problem, and the official offers no help, you would probably do the same.

chad i was standing by your dad on pit road..........heard some of the conversation with the ' officials' , ..............................and i'll stop there , the rest would be very negative.

hope to see you at THR , if your on fire jack will either let you know or put it out.

From Page 11 of the 2006 SAS General Rules:

4. Red Flag/Light with Yellow Light “Race Stopped – Proceed with Caution”

When the red flag and the red and yellow lights are displayed after the red flag, proceed slowly and cautiously to the start-finish line or to wherever a Track Official directs you. Any cars with major damage must make all repairs in the pit area. If any car stops and receives assistance while on the track from their pit crew, or anyone else, the driver shall be disqualified from the event. No one is allowed on the racing surface other than SAS Officials.

And it really doesn't matter what track official was nearby or whatever age she or he might be, the call to DQ the number 5 car was made by Rick Day, not the nearby race official.

Of course, at the request of the Race Director or flagman, track officials frequently do check cars for leaking fluids, dangerous damage to car body parts, etc.

In this case, if the driver felt he had a mechanical problem, he could have driven to the pits to have it inspected. However, as he stated above, the driver did not want to loose his track position, so he elected to stay out on the track instead.

Anyone who had a scanner on Saturday also heard that this was not the first time someone from that team had gone onto the track without permission and that a previous warning(s) had been given to this team.

Hope this helps clarify this situation.

Nick Holt

Just wondering, did he receive assistance or just have someone look to see what was causing the smoke?

"If any car stops and receives assistance while on the track from their pit crew, or anyone else, the driver shall be disqualified from the event."

Is looking receiving assistance?

It does say that you cannot walk out on the track, but it does not make clear what the penalty is for that.

For future reference, Next time unbuckle jump out and see for yourself, I dont believe there is any rule against that, if there is i am sure nick will correct me.

The SAS rules are published on the SAS website. Like everyone else, I have to refer to them frequently and do not have the ability to carry them around in my head.. LOL

Nick

Nick after further review it does not state that the driver cannot exit his/her car it only says you better be ready to roll off when the the rest of the field goes. So i guess that would have been a legal move provided he could get reattached and moving when the field rolled off.

Actually the car was not touched under red, I think that was obvious. When we parked on the front stretch, there was a lot of smoke coming from under the rear end. I asked the offcial numerous times to look, but he kept saying it was ok without looking, probably didn't know what he was looking for anyway, go figure. Smoke just doesn't appear for no reason. I needed to know what it was, didn't wanna have to pull in and lose my spot if I didn't have to, so my dad came out and looked. After he walked back across pit road, I was told to park it. So no, nobody touched the car under red. A few more officials that know whats going on would help. I understand the rule, and know why I was dq'ed, but when it's your money and son inside a car that obviously has a problem, and the official offers no help, you would probably do the same.

Relaying on what Hossier daddy wrote I was standing there right on the side walk of the grandstands fence yelling at the "official" that was near the #5's car durning the red flag... myself seeing the smoke coming out of the rear end and tryin to tell the "officail" to talk to the driver... he contined to shrug his shoulders and say there is nothing wrong.... Maybe there should be Officials on the track that know what they are doing... dont get me wrong... I'd say 99% of the officails out there do an awesome job but when you put someone on the front straight away having NO experince on stock car racing at all... Thats just a dumb move. I believe the #5 crew should be thanked for not arguing the DQ even though waht the crew chief did had to be done because lack of experince from the official. Also I MYSELF would like to say that all of the officials this season did an exelent job this year... they get no recognition for the time that is spent at the race track... and for the lowsy pay. Good Job to ALL of the 2oo6 San Antonio Speedway NASCAR Officails!!! I'm gonna miss you guys

NASCAR FANATIC!!!

I was wondering why he got DQ'ed... Chad you got a raw deal on that one... I just dont understand how looking under a car and not really touching anything is receiving assistance... That should of been a judgment call and not an instant DQ... JMO

(if someone could of explained to rick before he DQ'ed about what happened maybe we wouldnt be haveing this discussion)

I was wondering why he got DQ'ed... Chad you got a raw deal on that one... I just dont understand how looking under a car and not really touching anything is receiving assistance... That should of been a judgment call and not an instant DQ... JMO

(if someone could of explained to rick before he DQ'ed about what happened maybe we wouldnt be haveing this discussion)

The rule to keep people off the track is a very good rule and should be strictly enforced.

In the first place, under no circumstances should anyone other than track and safety officials be out on the track during competition. This includes red flag conditions. Safety and clean-up personnel are out on the track trying to take care of whatever situation they are presented with. The last thing they need to worry about it someone out on the track that they have to play dodge ball with.

In the second place, under red conditions race cars may be trying to get back to the pits for repairs (after getting permission to do so). Quite frequently the windshield or helmet visor is all fogged up and a stray person on the track may be nearly invisable to that driver.

And don't tell me that people out on the track don't get hurt. I was at a race at Unity Speedway in Maine when a crew guy got out onto the track and the fire truck knocked him probably 25 feet up into the air resulting in two broken legs, a broken pelvis and a severe concussion. The fire truck driver said afterwards that he was trying to radio for an ambulance and wasn't looking for anyone on the track.

The fact that the #5 crew had been warned twice before about coming out onto the track left Rick little choice but to take the action he did.

Nick

The rule to keep people off the track is a very good rule and should be strictly enforced.

In the first place, under no circumstances should anyone other than track and safety officials be out on the track during competition. This includes red flag conditions. Safety and clean-up personnel are out on the track trying to take care of whatever situation they are presented with. The last thing they need to worry about it someone out on the track that they have to play dodge ball with.

In the second place, under red conditions race cars may be trying to get back to the pits for repairs (after getting permission to do so). Quite frequently the windshield or helmet visor is all fogged up and a stray person on the track may be nearly invisable to that driver.

And don't tell me that people out on the track don't get hurt. I was at a race at Unity Speedway in Maine when a crew guy got out onto the track and the fire truck knocked him probably 25 feet up into the air resulting in two broken legs, a broken pelvis and a severe concussion. The fire truck driver said afterwards that he was trying to radio for an ambulance and wasn't looking for anyone on the track.

The fact that the #5 crew had been warned twice before about coming out onto the track left Rick little choice but to take the action he did.

Nick

it is totally understandable that the crew should not be allowed on the track.. but when the "OFFICIAL" doesnt have the slightest idea of whats going on... that crew cheif had no other choice.. due to lack of information from the "official" in which case that particular person shouldnt have had a radio anyways. it was poor choice from the crew cheif to go onto the track... but he did what he had todo... and also did not put him self in harms way because the whole clean up crew was inbetween turns 1-2 the whole time.......I understand rules are rules...buuut the drivers and crews rely on the officials to help them out when there is a problem with the car. and when the official has no clue what he/she is doing.... what can the crew do? it was poor decions from everyone... thank goodness no one got hurt

that is correct nick, this team was warned several times and for you who think the track may have something against the five car, you are wrong, the five car was the only one aloud two extra laps when we were up against time so he could get a feel for his car before qualifing.

Smoke just doesn't appear for no reason. I needed to know what it was, didn't wanna have to pull in and lose my spot if I didn't have to,

I believe that according to the rules this would qualify as a "...have to..." situation. Sorry but it is plain to see that no one was preventing you from checking out the car. The rules call for you to pull into the pits to do it. You just didn't want to do it in the way the rules prescribe. It also sounds like you were well aware of the red flag rules as you knew that you would lose your spot if you pulled into the pits. Not a bash. Just pointing out the right perspective.

chad's dad was told that the car could not move under red , they could come down pit road when the yellow came out (five minutes later).........i heard it and i took it as ' i'm damned if i do -damn if i don't '. he wasn't given the choice of entering the pits under yellow.

good thing it wasn't on fire.

-i don't know chad , just happen to be standing next to his dad on pit road.

What happened happened, and it's over. My only argument is that I believe in that case the officials should have a little knowledge about a racecar and whats going on. Lets say it was an electrical fire with the battery shorting out or something, then what? Anyway, I dont want this to seem like I'm crying about what happened, thats not the case. It was all in the heat of competition that it happened, so lets all just let it go and not blow it all outta proportion. It's over, we'll be back next year.

Ram#9,

We were given those laps just to make sure the thing was gonna run after the distributor broke the first lap of practice. We appreciated that and know we didnt have to be alowed to do so. Ended up hurting us even worse when I got a flat during those two laps and had to qualify with an old RF tire on the car.

Archived