Sheet Metal Question

kn1ghtblade

What is an exceptable thickness for the sheetmetal for the rear firewall on Road Runner Car??

I was given some slightly bent 18 Wheeler wall skins from work and I know they will work for the dash but not sure about the rear firewall.... They are about a 1/16" thick maybe a hair less than that... Our computers here at work don't give us a gauge size for these skins so I am not sure what gauge they are... I am hopeing its thick enough for the rear firewall and also to close up the engine firewall were the a/c was removed from....

I know the rules say that, I was hopeing someone could translate 24 gauge into a measurement in inches/ fraction of inches...

I have no idea what the guage of it is, I just know its between 1/32 of an inch and a 1/16 of an inch... I dont have a micro meter to this is rough measurements from a tape measure on its thickness...

I know the rules say that, I was hopeing someone could translate 24 gauge into a measurement in inches/ fraction of inches...

I have no idea what the guage of it is, I just know its between 1/32 of an inch and a 1/16 of an inch... I dont have a micro meter to this is rough measurements from a tape measure on its thickness...

Here are several of the more common thicknesses:

24 ga. = .0276 in

22 ga. = .0336 in

20 ga = .0396

18 ga = .0516

16 ga = .0635

Your 1/16 stuff is around 16 ga and 1/32 is around 22 ga.

The wall sheet metal on most metal buildings is 24 gauge if that helps. If you are that thick that's what you have. Soaker will the 2 plates thing you are talking about fly under the rules.

K-Blade. I may have several pieces of 12 gauge plate at my office. Call me tomorrow. They are small because I had gotten them originally for door bar plates. I know I have some 22g also.

Yeah someone mentioned an inside and outside plate... I measured my sheets yesterday after work and they are 1/16" thick... Based on above post that would put my sheets at the 16ga size according to someone who posted above...

As posted then those should be ok for firewalls, I just need to check on door plates inside and out to make sure thats ok now...

Thanks guys for all your help, and sorry to keep bugging everyone with newby dumb questions but I want to make sure I have a safe and legal car, and also that it will still be in one peice when I pull it off the trailer the first time.. LoL

Thanks again

knightblade

Yeah someone mentioned an inside and outside plate... I measured my sheets yesterday after work and they are 1/16" thick... Based on above post that would put my sheets at the 16ga size according to someone who posted above...

As posted then those should be ok for firewalls, I just need to check on door plates inside and out to make sure thats ok now...

Thanks guys for all your help, and sorry to keep bugging everyone with newby dumb questions but I want to make sure I have a safe and legal car, and also that it will still be in one peice when I pull it off the trailer the first time.. LoL

Thanks again

knightblade

Just keep in mind that using 16ga metal for your firewalls is going to add alot of weight to the car in a less than desireable area as opposed to using 24 ga.

True it is thicker and heavier, but this stuff really isnt that heavy.... I mean the whole 4x8 sheet might weight about 10 - 20 lbs if that... I know its really really easy to lift and carry.....

These are slightly damaged 18 wheeler truck body skins, so they are not like building sheet metal... These are the outter back skins of a freightliner truck which are designed to be light weight and strong cabs....

• 2 weeks later...
True it is thicker and heavier, but this stuff really isnt that heavy.... I mean the whole 4x8 sheet might weight about 10 - 20 lbs if that... I know its really really easy to lift and carry

These are slightly damaged 18 wheeler truck body skins, so they are not like building sheet metal... These are the outter back skins of a freightliner truck which are designed to be light weight and strong cabs.........

Blade just remember that the whole idea is to strip every bit of weight off the car and then put it back at the locations that you need it. Also if that material is that light you made need to check the gauge on it. Also it could be aluminum and I don't know if that is allowed for firewalls.

Its sheet metal definately not alluminum... I just know its 1/16" thick... It is light though but not as light as what I have seen in most of the cars I have looked at up close... I am sure its actually more thick than I need, I just dont think it will make too big of a weight difference since the rear firewall really wont be too much of this metal... I know I still have alot more to cut out of the car as far as its stock reinforcements and floor sheet metal which I know is very heavy compared to this metal I have....

Archived