Donnie Moore STASHES TPS

Donnie Moore STASHES TPS “Octoberfast” CASH at SAS

By: Neil Upchurch, Texas Pro Sedans – Race & Administrative Director

San Antonio, Texas (October 7, 2006)

It was the 10th Annual “Octoberfast: special event at San Antonio Speedway. Donnie Moore of Hutto, Texas started 2nd and finished 1st in the Texas Pro Sedans 30 lap race. In winning the race, his car owner George Merrell will pocket a cool $1,000. The TPS series contested their 11th race of the 2006 season at the half mile high banked asphalt oval in support of a major USRA race event which featured all three USRA touring series classes and all of the San Antonio Speedway divisions.

Qualifying saw the fastest time trial lap posted by Jack Dishman in his #2 Ford Mustang/svo. He clocked a time of 22.310 seconds. His time was not a new record. It was four tenths of a second short of the TPS/SAS track record of 21.910 seconds which was set by his son, Bryce Dishman in his Ford Mustang-svo on March 11, 2006. An inversion luck-of-the-draw was held. It resulted in “no invert” which left Jack Dishman on the pole. However, his luck changed quickly during the race.

The Texas Pro Sedans contested their race in front of a nice group of early arriving San Antonio Speedway spectators. The event was highlighted by a TPS entry list of 31 cars. TPS presented largest the field of the “Oktoberfast” event which saw 25 TPS cars sign in and 24 report to the starting grid for their 30 lap Feature Race. One TPS car was sidelined before the race due to blown head gasket on the #5 Gage Guevara Ford Mustang during practice.

The current TPS Point leader and former TPS Champion Donnie Moore, made his move in the #70 VW Scirocco on lap number two to pass the pole sitting #2 Jack Dishman tube framed Mustang. The 2005 TPS Champion, Sergio Hexsel dropped out of the race during the 17th lap with engine problems.

Two yellow flags were displayed for major contact. The first one on lap 17 between second place #27 Bill LaBarge in his BMW and the third place #2 Jack Dishman Ford Mustang. The contact put LaBarge out of the race and, by TPS rules, Dishman to the rear. The second major crash happened on lap 18 when Jack Dishman tried to pass three slower cars on the inside. The other car was the #50 VW Rabbit driven by Rick Dawdy. Dishman’s Mustang violently hit the inside wall on the main straight. His car partly disintegrated. He received medical attention and limped away refusing further care. Dawdy’ s damage sent his car to the pits. Both drivers have been issued a one race probation for rough driving.

A total of five Texas Pro Sedan drivers completed the race on the lead lap. Also recording 30 laps were the #29 OEM head equipped Lalo Leal Ford Mustang. He placed 2nd, 3.8 seconds behind Moore. He was followed very closely by Jesse Sandoval of Corpus Christi in his #7 Ford Pinto/arca. John Wasek of Austin had another good finish with an impressive 4th place driving his #74 VW Scirocco. The 5th place car was the #66 Ford driven by Ariel Arredondo of Kingsville. He is on the mend from illness which kept him out of recent TPS races.

The TPS Championship Points standings continue to list Donnie Moore with a 58 point lead over Sergio Hexsel. There is one race remaining on the TPS schedule. The final 2006 season TPS race will be held at Thunder Hill Raceway in Kyle at the annual “Stock Car Spectacular”. The event will be a 30 lap TPS Feature Race on Saturday night, October 28. The TPS race winner will also receive $1,000 at that race.

Official race results and points standings are posted below.

Finish… Car # r Driver/Hometown…… Car Type/Engine CC… Qual Time Laps

1 70 Donnie Moore/Hutto, TX VW Scirocco/1690 22.500 .. 30 Laps

2 29L Lalo Leal/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338 23.440 .. 30 Laps

3 7 Jesse Sandoval/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Pinto/2338-arca 23.800 .. 30 Laps

4 74 John Wasek/Austin, TX VW Scirocco/1628 22.900 .. 30 Laps

5 66 Ariel Arredondo/Kingsville, TX Ford Taurus/2030 25.960 .. 30 Laps

6 97 Kevin Hallman/Cibolo, TX Ford Mustang/2338 24.530 .. 29 Laps

7 3 r Jesse Sandoval Jr/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Pinto/2338 24.900 .. 28 Laps

8 94 Harlon Hatcher/Converse, TX VW Rabbit/1784 25.460 .. 27 Laps

9 78 r Adam McCosh/Cibolo, TX VW Sedan/1835 25.460 .. 27 Laps

10 55 r John Miesen/Marion, TX VW Sedan/1835 24.940 .. 24 Laps

11 48 Mike Knotts/Universal City, TX VW Scirocco/1648 23.670 .. 23 Laps

12 1 Bryce Dishman/Devine, TX Ford Mustang/2349-svo 23.180 .. 22 Laps

13 38 Dave Parks/San Antonio, TX 2001 VW Sedan/1588 28.330 .. 22 Laps

14 19 Lloyd Hart/San Antonio, TX Honda CRX/1798/4-valve 23.170 .. 20 Laps

15 22 Harry Osburn Jr./San Antonio, TX Ford Mustang/2338 23.260 .. 18 Laps

16 2 Jack Dishman/Devine, TX Ford Mustang/2060-svo 22.310 .. 18 Laps

17 27L Bill Labarge/Bryan, TX BMW/2085 22.530 .. 17 Laps

18 20 Sergio Hexsel/Live Oak, TX VW Rabbit/1984 22.540 .. 17 Laps

19 15 Tom Johnson/Kingsland, TX VW Rabbit/1781 22.690 .. 17 Laps

20 18 Lanny Young/Kingsland, TX VW Karmen Ghia/2275 23.830 .. 16 Laps

21 4 r Joshua Tuttle/San Antonio, TX Chevrolet Cobalt/2210 dnt .. 16 Laps

22 50 r Rick Dawdy/San Antonio, TX VW Rabbit/1870 26.840 .. 15 Laps

23 71 Bruce Mabrito/San Antonio, TX VW Scirocco/1648 30.890 .. 12 Laps

24 33s Kevin Sullivan/Corpus Christi, TX 2005 VW Sedan/1715 dnt .. 0 Laps

25 5 r Gage Guevara/Corpus Christi, TX Ford Mustang/2338 dnt .. dns Laps

26 53 Randy Larsen/Wimberley, TX VW Karmen Ghia/2332 .. Laps

27 72 Candi Hogan/Cedar Park, TX VW Sedan/2160 .. Laps

28 84 r D. J. Roggenkamp/Lumberton, TX Ford Taurus/2030 .. Laps

29 23 r Harry J.J. Osburn III/San Antonio, TX Ford Pinto/2338 .. Laps

30 11 Chip Harmon/Portland, TX Ford Mustang/2338-arca .. Laps

31 01 Mike O'Connor/Weatherford, TX Pontiac Sunfire/2348 .. Laps

Margin of Victory 3.8 sec. Car #2 - 22.310 is not new SAS/TPS record. Feature Race leaders: # 2 led lap 1, # 70 laps 2 - 30.

Penalty notes: A rough driving one race probation is issued to drivers of # 2 and #50. No technical inspection penalties.

dna-did not arrive dnt-did not time dns-did not start r-eligible for TPS "Rookie Of The Year" Award

Note: SAS didn't provide audited results to TPS untill noon Sunday. Provisional results were not posted.

These results were declared final on October 16, 2006.

TPS thanks race sponsors: Terry Dickerson and San Antonio Speedway, Instant Imprints thru: Larry Willis (thanks Lloyd Hart),

Richard & Bea Villanueva, Nelson Skinner, Attorney at Law and Buggy Warehouse & Mark O'Donnell of Custom Control Modules

TPS thanks SAS for hosting this event during the 31st consecutive Texas Pro Sedan racing season.

TEXAS PRO SEDANS 2006 REMAINING SCHEDULE (Subject to Change, Additions, Deletions)

Oct 28 tba Thunder Hill Raceway Time Trials, 31 Lap Feature Race - THR Stock Car "Spectacular"

Nov 11 n/a 2006 Awards Dinner - 6:30pm Carlos Kelly's Restaurant, Highway 87 East of San Antonio

Official race results certified by:

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

210/655-3222

TPS Point Standings thru: Race # 11 - October 7, 2006

Position Car # r Driver --- Hometown Total

1 70 Donnie Moore/Hutto, TX … 168 points

2 20 Sergio Hexsel/Live Oak, TX … 110 points

3 15 Tom Johnson/Kingsland, TX … 93 points

4 4 r Joshua Tuttle/San Antonio, TX … 86 points

5 74 John Wasek/Austin, TX … 80 points

6 48 Mike Knotts/Universal City, TX … 80 points

7 2 Jack Dishman/Devine, TX … 54 points

8 33 Jamie Garner/San Antonio, TX … 52 points

9 1 Bryce Dishman/Devine, TX … 51 points

10 22 Harry Osburn Jr./San Antonio, TX … 51 points

11 53 Randy Larsen/Wimberley, TX … 51 points

12 29L Lalo Leal/Corpus Christi, TX … 50 points

13 19 Lloyd Hart/San Antonio, TX … 48 points

14 66 Ariel Arredondo/Kingsville, TX … 46 points

15 94 Harlon Hatcher/Converse, TX … 44 points

16 71 Bruce Mabrito/San Antonio, TX … 42 points

17 55 r John Miesen/Marion, TX … 38 points

18 78 r Adam McCosh/Cibolo, TX … 36 points

19 72 Candi Hogan/Cedar Park, TX … 33 points

20 7 Jesse Sandoval/Corpus Christi, TX … 31 points

21 84 r D. J. Roggenkamp/Lumberton, TX … 29 points

22 38 Dave Parks/San Antonio, TX … 27 points

23 29 G Rico Gutierrez/Corpus Christi, TX … 26 points

24 50 r Rick Dawdy/San Antonio, TX … 23 points

25 97 Kevin Hallman/Cibolo, TX … 16 points

26 23 r Harry J.J. Osburn III/San Antonio, TX … 16 points

27 18 Lanny Young/Kingsland, TX … 15 points

28 3 r Jesse Sandoval Jr/Corpus Christi, TX … 12 points

29 27 F Todd Farris/College Station, TX … 11 points

30 11 Chip Harmon/Portland, TX … 9 points

31 89 L John Leonard/Universal City, TX … 8 points

32 27 E r Frank Eggers/College Station, TX … 5 points

33 33s Kevin Sullivan/Corpus Christi, TX … 4 points

34 27L Bill Labarge/Bryan, TX … 3 points

35 5 r Gage Guevara/Corpus Christi, TX … 2 points

36 01 Mike O'Connor/Weatherford, TX … 2 points

37 01 Eddie Orr/Weatherford, TX … 0 points

r - eligible for 2006 TPS "Rookie Of The Year" Award

Official point standings certified by:

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats CRAP that #50 took #2 out on purpose. I can tell you right now that it that was my car that got tore up like the #2 because of some [edited out by Nick Holt, 10/8/06] he would never have a car to race as long as I was racing. After seeing that happen and seeing what action has been takin I can tell you that I will NEVER attend a TPS race. I will keep my car at the STS where it belongs. To much FAVORTISM towards the VWs.

Tim GIlpin(Driver of the #12 MUSTANG at STS)

talking to jack it was his fault mostly for trying to pass where he did the result was a conplete total loss of a car not much to save there ,and jack said it wasnt really 50 .s fault and that is from the drivers mouth .he.s sorry it happend .and it cost him .so jack is man enough for takeing the blaime .so dont fault others .don ran a good race he has it together at sas .we where fast just not quite fast enough .bad shock right front didnt help much made car push .and lalo had that mustang on rails.and was really a very good race .like to run that one again 35 lap race and a ford might have won that one . and lets not forget arial .that boy was right there in 5.th great run for him seeing how he ran all day .heck jessie got worried he was going to be past by a little 2000 cc motor . :lol: really it was good for him to get a great run .and the finish we got we are not un happy aboult seeing what hell that car put us through the last few days top ten was what we shot for starting from 13 th place .sorry some poeple had problem.s dureing the race .which of course helped us .but you have to finish .and we got lucky.

Hey Oldtimer, hell of a race, tell jesse he did a hell of a job, we could tell from the stands the car wasnt quite there to catch the leader.... Also sorry I couldnt get back down there with you guys, by the time I picked up the little woman and the kids we got back to the track at 5:15 :(

As to the dishman wreck, I know jack was taking alot of blame but the 50 clearly intentionaly wrecked him into the wall.... It looked like Jack bumped him alittle comming out of the turn like to get him out of the way, then as the 50 went out and 2 went inside he waited till 2 was just past his front end and turn hard right into him sending both towards the wall... It was clearly a retaliation wreck for what jack did to get him out of the way... There is no room in racing to do that to someones car, since jack did very little to him... To quote " Thats rubbin and rubbin is racing" LOL.... Jack diddnt deserve to have his car destroyed.... I trully believe the #50 deserves atleast a 1 race suspension not a probation....

PS: Oldtimer I forgot to get that CD from you.... :( Also do you ever sleep??? LoL 1:30 hour sleep on Friday night and still going at 3:30 am on Sunday... LoL

Nope that [edited out by Nick Holt, 10/8/06] that happend with the #2 and the #50 would of never happened if the right call have been made on the #27 he did that to his self and tryed to pass the #2 and pull up in frount of him when he wasnt clear of him so the #2 never deserved to go to back .............and by the why good jod to Lalo and Jesse

Nope that [edited out by Nick Holt, 10/8/06] that happend with the #2 and the #50 would of never happened if the right call have been made on the #27 he did that to his self and tryed to pass the #2 and pull up in frount of him when he wasnt clear of him so the #2 never deserved to go to back .............and by the why good jod to Lalo and Jesse

:rolleyes: , Ya... I saw one car destroyed by a careless driver, then that drivers car destroyed when he was once again careless, too bad LaBarges car and that nice little VW had to be involved...

i could not see what started it just going at what jack told me .one thing he did say that would not have happend if he would of just held back but from the fans that saw and drivers behind the 27 wreck that were close to the action it was no fault of jacks on the this one like i said thats from other drivers .you know this kind of things always happens when the moneys on the line .its sad it happens i dont bellieve anyone out there wants this . we could of just aswell been in it to. the out come of our finish was in affect from the help from others bad luck .. and jessies driveing when i didnt give him what he needed . he didnt get enough practic cuz of me trying to get what i could out of that car ..and randy your fired :lol: you know we talked aboult that larger plaite well after jessie could not hit his marks in qualifying .we put it on .but forgot to switch the shocks over .thanks for comeing in the pits .and i still have that cd so i will get it to you at kyle .and also some smart a.. came over to me and wanted to play quess who i am game .i was to tired to figgure who he was .so bigfat it was really nice to fina;ly meet you face to face .hell your not as fat as i am so how did you get that name does not go with you ..and i tried to get over where you were all night but things happen ..

Man Oldtimer I tried to get back there in time, but the clocks wouldnt cooperate.... That sucks about the shock... :(

one of the few times i let my driver down .cant fault him at all just to keep that car out of the wall trying to catch that alfull fast lalo and don was a tuff job .i would have been happy just to get a top ten .and every time i say that he does more than i predict .plenty happy with that run .we tried somethings that we havent tried before at sas and almost worked out .and thanks to lalo some of his input helped us to decide on some things .even thow he didnt know he did that .and thanks to the dishmans for thier use of some items .

First I would like to say good job to the top five of the pro sedans. Everybody did a great job putting on a show for us fans.I'm real proud of your run Ariel,you showed patience and a swivel neck. Secondly,if that @#$%! driver would have hit my brother instead of Jack, I would have spent the night in a Bexar county jail cell,with a life sentence to follow!There were a couple of B.S. calls,including the Mods,but I would have chose a fire extinguisher over a car with intent to harm, and disable another car or person. Not to mention the money lost. It would be hard for anyone to contemplate a return to racing knowing that this stuff exists.A zero tolerance plan needs to be implemented for rough drivers. I Hope you are ok Jack and DO return to racing soon.We hate to see car counts go down.Also Kudos to Lalo and Jesse,you put on a hell of a show! FRED ARREDONDO

Yep, thank god he through a harmless fire extinguisher.

should have used it to put out his mental fire .good race poorboy to bad those other two cars ahead of you didnot realize you wanted to pass them .will have a talk with the other bruce on that one .looked like the bruce and bruce show . :D

I think Nick's statement, seen many times previously, "the only two people who really know what happened are the two involved", is very appropriate here.

That said, it really doesn't matter who was at fault on the first incident involving #27 & #2, the TPS rules clearly state "all involved" and for that reason alone #2 went to the back of the field. It is one of the reasons the "all involved" rule works to control situations like this - if everyone respects the rule..

I heard both drivers give their version of events:

#27 "Jack got loose and slipped up, I had a clear run under him and took it. I was on my line exiting the turn and the next thing I knew I was spinning". In his mind, Bill was firmly convinced that Jack turned left into his right rear corner causing the accident.

#2 "I don't know what Bill was thinking, he got under me and there was a lap car there. He thought he was clear but he tried to put his car into a place where there wasn't room".

This begs the question, when is a pass a complete pass? Knowing the all involved rule is in place, is it reasonable to hold your line knowing that if the car under you moves up to avoid lap traffic, you will catch his rear bumper and likely turn him?

As the car passing, you have a run, you are clearly past at least the door on the car you are overtaking and with at least enough speed differential to anticipate the position of your car is probably clear by now. If a lap car is there, do you anticipate the driver next to you respecting your position and moving up with you to clear the lap car and continue racing??

Once past the first incident concider the next. Emphasized during the drivers meeting: "if you are a lapped car, the move over lane is to the inside, if you are an overtaking car and the car you are passing is a lapped car, you must pass to the outside. Bad things happen if you don't".

I did not witness the accident but was told by someone who did, someone who was on the track watching it unfold in front of them that this was the sequence of events:

#2 moved below the yellow line on the back staight to pass #50 on the inside. (Qualifying times for #2, 22.3 - qualifying times for #50, 29.2)

#2 moved up the track on the inside of the #50, with contact, entering turn 3.

#2 continued to make contact with #50 through turn 3 and turn 4, at which time #50 turned left into #2..

This is not to condone what #50 did, particularly when viewing the result, but consider the sequence of events and the possible outcome. Had #50 lost control on the first contact, he would have been the one in the wall entering turn 3. San Antonio is not a forgiving track, for all the safety equipment in the world you still have to consider the first deliberate contact as an attack with deadly force.

There was at minimum a five second speed differential between the#2 and the #50. It almost seems unreasonable for the two to remain that close together all the way around turn 3 and 4, #2 should have been at the start finish line by the time #50 exited 4...

I will not take a side based on any of this, I was not a direct witness and as such, have no right to form a judgement. For all who condemn any party to the incidents that transpired Saturday night read James 4:11..

Bruce, I apologize that I saw the first incident more offensive,but i got family that revolves around racing,and was irate to say the least that my brother is susceptible to this kind of behavior. You were involved with the same situation(bodily harm),but I am a very emotional spectator,and once racer. You have every right to be upset,believe me, I saw the hole incident before it happened. I knew his mindset before Hiel reacted. It was a very stupid and hasty call. There should be no room for this behavior. I'm not comparing the dangers of both acts,I'm just stating that I don't appreciate the fact that this crap happens on the race track,especially when my family is involved. I'm glad you are OK and i understand the risk you took. I watched you race years ago in C.C. and was a fan of your style of racing. I guess what i am trying to say is that I put my family first among all others. What happens while racing,versus- off racing is no different, both offenders should be punished the same, no questions asked. I hope my message did not offend anyone,but once again I do not wish this behavior(in a perfect world)to happen to anyone,let alone my brother.Both incidents were premeditated and down right stupid!! FRED ARREDONDO

Man, that 78 was flying. That was definately the best race I've ever been in. This car is a top 10 contender, and once we get to Kyle I just may be a top 5 contender. I have to say the most fun I had though, was those first two or three laps racing Harlon and John, that was fun. I figure I'll put my two cents in on the Dishman wreck. He had it coming. God won't let you go too long, before he says "alright that's it". This ain't Days of Thunder, Jack, this is real life. Tom Cruise didn't have to pay for car damage, those of us in the real world do. That would also include yourself. I don't know what you drink or how much of it, but both wrecks could've been avoided if you had've thought it through. This is my, what, 6th or 7th start. And I've already learned to sit back and watch for whoever I'm trying to pass to open up a hole. Pretty sad when I can do that, yet a man who's been racing longer than me just blindly races around the track. There's my two cents.

NOT SAYING ITS OK TO WRECK CARS LIKE THAT IN SAS ITS NEVER A GOOD IDEAL TO KNOCK ANYONE IN THE WALL FOR ANYREASON TO MANYWAYS TO GET HURT .BUT IVE RACED TO MANY YEARS AND I LEARNED JUST ONE THING .WHEN MY CAR IS NOT UP TO PAR OR ITS ALOT SLOWER THAN THE GUY BEHIND ME I ALWAYS WAVED TO THE FAST CAR WHERE HE CAN PASS .AND GAVE HIM THAT ROOM .ITS CALLED SMART RACEING CUZ IT CAN COMEBACK TO YOU IF ITS REVERSED .NOW 78 YOUR YOUNG AND I HOPE THAT SOMEDAY NO ONE THINKS ITS TIME FOR YOU TO DESERVE WHAT HAPPEND .IM ALSO THE TYPE IF YOU HIT ME ILL HIT YOU BUT WHEN IT IS THE RIGHT TIME AS TO LIMIT THE CHANCE OF SOMEONE GETTING HURT .IT HAPPEND TO ME IN 1989 .THIS DRIVER PUT ME ON MY ROOF WITHOUT A THOUGHT OF MY SAFETY .BUT I DID HIT HIM BACK ALONG TIME DOWN THE ROAD AND THOUGHT ABOULT IT LATER .THAT WASENT RIGHT .SO FROM THEN ON I WOULD GO LATER AND TALK TO THAT DRIVER AND GET IT STREIGHT WITH THEM .NOW THAT MAY NOT BE THE BEST WAY BUT I AND THEM KEPT OUR CARS RACEING .

Archived