New Owners @ Old Midessa Speedway

John Barton

A friend of mine who lives in Odessa told me the old Midessa Speedway has been sold to a local businessman, and will reopen in 2007. The 1/3-mile high banked dirt track is located between Midland and Odessa and will be renamed Champion Motor Speedway.

The new owners are completely remodeling the facility including grandstands, concessions, restrooms, pits, and parking improvements. Other additions include a new beer garden, VIP hospitality area, and children's playground.

He said the local community is real excited about the news and can't wait for next season to get underway. I'm still waiting to hear who the new promoter will be. Hopefully they'll be making some official announcements soon.

Still no official announcements yet, but I overheard some more details yesterday. The word is the new promoter is a man from Idaho named Jeb. I'm not sure what his last name is? Anyway, they said he's real successful, and has a lot of national respect in the motorsports industry. His partner is Murray Erickson from Odessa and Mr. Erickson has crews working at the track on repairs and improvements.

The also said that both men have previous racing experience, and in my opinion, racers usually know what racers need. Owners and promoters who have seat time can fully appreciate what it's really like on the track and in the pits. So if the rumors are true, then racing here in west Texas could be on a serious upswing. I sure hope so and I can't to hear about their future plans!

I have a question for the other posters on this message board. Is this the best message board for Midland-Odessa racing discussions? I moved here from New Mexico about a year ago and was wondering because there doesn't seem to be much interest for this particular subject matter? Just wondering? Thanks, JB

I have a question for the other posters on this message board. Is this the best message board for Midland-Odessa racing discussions? I moved here from New Mexico about a year ago and was wondering because there doesn't seem to be much interest for this particular subject matter? Just wondering? Thanks, JB

as long as you are always positive , see the world in black and white , and never forget that it's all rainbows and roses.

the rainbow is different shades of off gray faded to white and even if the flowers stink, breathe deep and compliment them on their beautiful tones of red even though they to are of an off shade gray.

Is this the best message board for Midland-Odessa racing discussions?

For us who have friends over there that race, yes, it is.

The original idea behind "Texas Speedzone" was Texas racing, and it did not specify what type of car, or where it is.

So, that said, thanks for the updates about Midessa, and please continue to post updates as you get them.

And make sure to stay in contact with Jay Hallas (Rebelracewriter) on this board. He will get your information to more boards and forums than you can believe.

And Jay is a dirt dauber from way back, so he definitely has an interest in what is going on out there.

Crazy, have you been celebrating ND's win too much? :huh:

John, There are several people interested in dirt racing here, but the majority are more into pavement racing. Two other message boards are more dirt related, www.elbowsup.com and www.whowon.com, but please don't let this deter you from posting here on TXSZ. If you find out who the new people are, I have contacts with many racing sites and publications that I would be happy to forward any information to for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well race fans, I finally have an update about the new track in Odessa...

I went to the races tonight at Cardinal Motor Speedway (Eunice, NM) and met the new promoter at Champion Motor Speedway (Odessa, TX).

His name is Jeb Onweiler and I was real impressed with him and his plans. He was handing out survey flyers for the racers to fill out. It seems like he really does care about the racers. Kinda nice to see that.

His flyer also says they're hosting a drivers meeting on Thursday, October 5, at 6:30PM. They will also have an open test session on October 28. He said an official press release will be sent out soon. If I see it, I will post it here.

I found this update posted on another website...

“Champion Motor Speedway drivers meeting”

Midland-Odessa TX … Champion Motor Speedway (formally known as Midessa Speedway) has announced a “meet the manager” drivers meeting is scheduled for Thursday, October 5, at 6:30pm.

Items on the agenda will be the '07 CMS promotional plans, renovations currently underway at the speed plant, along with the new divisions, rules and regulations. All racers and team owners are encouraged to attend, as they’ll also have the opportunity to offer their opinions about the new direction of the program.

New co-owner/promoter Jeb Onweiler will be on hand, along with his new CMS race and competition directors. The meeting will take place in the main grandstands.

CMS is located between Midland and Odessa, at 12300 W. Highway 80 E. The official CMS website will be www.ChampionMotorSpeedway.com and should be online in the next few weeks. For more information, please contact Jeb Onweiler at 1.432.272.2772 or at JJO@grandecom.net

Archived