thinking about nick holt

racecar25

i was getting rid of some racing mags today and came across an old short track racing magazine. in the mag was an article about san antonio speedway, when races there were started at 7:07 pm. back then the only touring cars that visted the track were obviously the tida late models. it was a good story and i kept the mag by the way. too bad racing isnt like it was "back in the day". you did an excellent job writing that story nick. thank you

Thanks racecar25!

One day that magazine and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. LOL Just don't tell Reb that I get published in magazines and get paid for it too.

I still have people write me about the suspension series I did for Short Track Magazine and the article on caster I did for Stock Car Racing Magazine.

Nick Holt

One day that magazine and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. LOL

Nick...

What, you don't like pepperoni pizza??

Chuck.. One day that magazine and $12.99 will get you a pepperoni pizza! Is that better? LOL

jracer98.. Ah yes..... Moment arms .. One of the best kept secrets in all of racing.. I guess you read my stuff then. Did you ever take my suspension seminar?

Nick Holt

NIck,

I haven't taken your seminar and have been waiting over a year now to hear about the next one.

When will it be. Add my name to the list to attend.

I just need a time and place.

I have another racer who wants to attend.

Thanks

Mark

OK guys.. who told Reb???? LOL

jayracer98.... I've had several MEs at the seminars. As you might imagine, one of the challenges of teaching suspension engineering concepts is transforming the language of physics into language that everyone can understand.

NewRacer and Zoom.... I plan on conducting one of my six-week seminars in late October and November. I usually hold the classes on six Tuesday evenings in a row somewhere in San Antonio. The classes run from 6:30 until 9:30, but sometimes they run a bit later. I hand out about 70 - 80 pages of class notes as well as a couple of simple computer programs that I wrote to help participants out with the math.

I charge about what it costs for a set of racing slicks for the six-week seminar . I know that is not cheap, but most people who have taken the couse say it is well worth the price.

I'll announce the seminar details here on TSZ once they are finalized.

Nick Holt

Nic's class is well worth the $$$$$$ he ask for I have attended more than once and learned something every time .

Jim Creech#2

Nick,

I reread my reply and it may have come across as, "you can't teach me anything because of my education".

Oops, that wasn't what I meant. I was just trying to convey the humor of problemsolving with a pencil while a group of guys are standing there with gas ax's and welders dying to build something! Moving to Dallas killed my pavement program so I don't get out to the late model races much.

Maybe we can bench race a little if I can get down to SA sometime.

Jay

Nick,

I remember you sent me home with a paper clip bent up to resemble a sway bar and ask that we figure out what it did for the car.

I still learn from that paper clip and it keeps me thinking to this day.

I can tell ya there are some guys out there that might benefit from a suspension class today. If you want to test the waters and see it there would be any takers just let me know

Terry Bernsen

For what it's worth, I didn't read jracer98's post as saying he couldn't learn anything because he was "an M. E. in another lifetime." Just the opposite, that he was poking fun at himself for having a lot of knowledge, but maybe less practical experience.

I have a good buddy who's also an M. E., and he always said no one should be able to get an engineering degree without being a mechanic first, which isn't a bad idea.

He told some horror stories about working for GM in Detroit and trying to explain to some engineer who didn't know what a wrench was for why his beautiful design wouldn't work.

The Wright brothers were mechanics, not engineers. (Hey, it's the Centennial of Flight.)

tqj3,

I didn't read it in a negative way either. All I was saying is that I have had SAE engineers (all MEs) from SW Research and EG&G attend and, hopefully, obtain some useful suspension concepts. As you may be aware, EG&G does (or did at the time, anyway) a lot of automotive testing including running cars at high speeds at the very long and very banked D'Hannis test oval and SW Research practically wrote the suspension engineering book during WWII. I guess my point was that if ME's come to the class (which I hope they do), they need to be aware that I gear this class for race mechanics and racers, not MEs.

By the way, I even welcome PR types to attend! LOL

Nick Holt

Well its good that I didn't make anyone mad. I have been a racer since I was 6. My first job in racing was on a 421 PONTIAC top fuel dragster. My job was to "get out of the way". That's lower than "go-fer".

I know what the guy means about practical applications. When I was with Bell Helicopter, my end of the deal was to solve customers problems in the field. In aircraft, it's all about weight vs. strength. The customer needs a solution right then that gets them going safely. That speed usually resulted in a fix that was about 25% too heavy but strong enough with a huge margin for error. The "pocket protector" guys back in Hurst then optimized my stuff to a lower weight. That usually took about a month. Can you see a big operator like Petroleum Helicopters(at the time) being down for a month? The boys out on the Gulf rigs wouldn't be too happy!

See ya.

Jay

• 14 years later...

Ha!  Someone sent me an email and asked if I was the guy who wrote that Caster article for Stock Car Racing magazine.  Said he keeps reading that article and one day he hopes to understand it!  Had to laugh and it got me thinking about maybe holding another suspension seminar somewhere in the spring.

Nick

I learned a lot from  nicks seminar and yet still have a ton to learn  but I used  what I  already knew and what I  learned from nick  this last season and finish just 9 points  out of first in season points on our first time full dirt racing we will just keep plugging along and using what I and we learned improve where we can . don't have an audio .but that note  book works great .. funny how nick can rub off on you I have the car owner frustrated like nick frustrated me with  getting the car right in the off season .. nick knows what I am talking about  .....anyway have to thank nick ...

Archived