USMTS @ Rio Grande Spwy. McAllen

After the redraw for the top 8, Jerry Thompson and Jason Krohn paced the 24 car field to green, while Fri. nights winner Eddie Martin was forced to take a provisional. Krohn got the jump on green and headed for the high groove to lead lap 1, while Lawrence Mikulencak and Randy Zimmerman battled for second. Johnny Bone jr.'s troubles began early we he slid high in turn one losing several spots. Krohn and Mikulencak then began to check out. After a short battle Mikulencak got around Krohn, only to have a yellow come out when Ron Jones slid down the back of turn one. Skeet Amason used the restart to get by Mikulencak for second. A lap later the yellow was out again for a big pile up in turn three, with Steve Holzkamper, Eddie Tidwell, Russell Moore and Bone jr. getting wadded up. Amason took a shot at Krohn on the restart, but was only able to get along side. Just before halfway Bobby Sliva spun into the wall, collecting Bone jr. again.

At halfway it was Krohn, Amason, Mikulencak, Scott Drake and Phil Dixon running in the top five, with Krohn and Amason moving away. Just after halfway, Jason Hughes rolled to a stop for another caution. On the restart, Krohn, Amason and Mikulencak went three wide into turn one, but all came out of turn two in their original position. After losing some ground and bouncing off the front stretch wall a couple times Mikulencak closed on the lead duo with a few laps to go. The top three were a full straight ahead of the fourth place battle between Dixon and Drake with two to go. As the leaders took the white flag, they caught lap traffic. Krohn held the high line while Amason was trying the middle and Mikulencak down low. Mikulencak spun in turn two leaving Krohn and Amason to fight it out for the win. As the checkers flew it Krohn piloting the Kruger Seeds/Bose Farms/Lime Creek Ag Service/Johns Automotive/Schwanke Engine/Kraft Kar Chassis to the victory.

7K Jason Krohn- Slayton, Minn.

F5 Skeet Amason- New Boston, Tx.

A-1 Phil Dixon- Houston Tx.

1D Scott Drake- Webb City, Mo.

1K Steve Kosiski- Pappillion, Ne.

51 Eddie Martin- Stillwell. okla.

82 George White- Fort Worth, Tx.

12x Johnny Bone jr.- Pea Ridge, Ark.

7 Ron Jones- Zimmerman, Minn.

0 Scott Craig- Rosemount, Minn.

98 TJ Huston- McAllen, Tx.

7x Jimmy Roach- Kahoka, Mo.

71 Steve Holzkamper- Gentry, Ark.

9 Klint Pursley- Locust Grove, Okla.

66 Jerry Thompson- Fort Smith, Ark.

Z28 Randy Zimmerman- Fort Scott, Kan.

50x Mark McKim- Friendswood, Tx.

11 Randy Bailey- Deer Park, Tx.

87 Lawrence Mikulencak- Corpus Christi, Tx.

36 Brandon Ried- Willow Park, Tx.

12 Jason Hughes- Colcord, Okla.

17 Bobby Sliva- Taylor, Tx. 148 Russell Moore- Conroe, Tx.

V8 Eddie Tidwell- Ada, Okla.

Show-wise the first Southern USMTS race came off quite well, it's a shame more people didn't show up for some great racing action. Though I missed the Thurs. and Fri. night shows, I understand they were both a fight to the checkers. I want to thank Todd Staley and his wife and staff for their help and I'll be looking forward to the next USMTS race that I can make, which will probably be Corpus Christi in March. Congrats to the winner Jason Krohn, who not only has a cool first name, but a very sharp looking car. Krohn attributed his win to his pit crew who hit the right set-up, at the right time after not doing well the previous nights.

Archived