Dumb Question

This is going to sound extemely stupid question; But once we get a car built and ready to race, is there any other items/liscences or anything like that we need before taking it out to track and racing it???

like i said this is a newbie and dumb question but I want to make sure before we start building our car...

btw: we are building a Sportsman Class Car.....

Also any info on what a good heads for a Chevy350 to run, Trany , rear ends would be greatly appreciated... We are going to look at the possible car Sunday and if we buy it its just a shell with a cage so it needs everything.......

You will need to get a NASCAR Licences & then you will need to register you car and number. I think a good head for that class would be a 461 or 462 double hump head. As for a transmission, 3 speed sagnaw. I think you have to run a stock GM rear end, but a good overall gear would be around 5.20 to 5.38. Hope this will give you a good start. Good Luck with it.

kn1ghtblade,

Not a dumb question at all . . . and we welcome you to join the NASCAR Sportsman class at San Antonio Speedway,

All drivers at SAS must get a NASCAR license to compete. The fee for this license varies by class. You'll need to obtain an original NASCAR application from SAS, and it needs to be mailed to NASCAR along with your payment (check payable to NASCAR).

You also need to fill out a SAS registration form to reserve your car number. There is no charge to register.

We also need a Driver's Profile form completed so we will have information to post on the SAS website.

And lastly, if that's not enough, we'll need you to fill out a tax form.

The SAS registration form, as well as the profile and tax form (W-9), may be downloaded from the SAS website (Driver's Area tab). The General Rules and Sportsman Rules are also on the website. The purses are also listed in the same area. Here's a link: SAS Website Driver Area.

If you're unable to download these forms, please drop by the SAS office (14901 State Highway 16 South, SA) during regular business hours or on race nights.

As far as your technical questions regarding heads, tranny, etc., hopefully several of current SAS drivers can help you out.

If you have any other questions about the Sportsman class (or anything else), please call Rick Day at 210-827-4524.

Again, we look forward to having you join us as an SAS driver!

Thank you this helps alot....

We are basically newbies and starting from scratch so all the information we can get is greatly appreciated...

One other quick question regarding the Tire Rules... If I read the rules right the tires have to be bought at the Track or that component place right? or can they be from a sponsor... Reason I ask is my uncle owns and operates a privatly owned Goodyear Auto Center and has contacts for Goodyear Tires.. I was thinking of asking him to sponsor us with tires but I didnt know if that was ok....

Guest Soaker

You have to buy tires from Oval Components and if you have a good engine go ahead and put the 5.57 gear in the rearend and run your tranny in high gear.

i would also suggest signing up for fascar and participating in that group........for the little bit of time you put into it, the reward is definitely worth it.........the money you receieve from fascar is usually more than the money you recieve from nascar, so it was definitely worth the entry fee and time put into it, at least for me it was, i guess everyone else has their opinions on this..........

• 2 weeks later...

This is based off of the tire question that "soaker" answered. You replyed "you have to purchase the tires from Oval Components". Could you please direct me to that rule. I can't seem to find it. I'm not saying it's not there. I just can't find it.

Thank You

You have to buy tires from Oval Components and if you have a good engine go ahead and put the 5.57 gear in the rearend and run your tranny in high gear.

I would be careful on that gear selection, especially if you are racing a sportsman.

Everyone has their own opinion, for a sportsman w/the 350 cfm carb, I would choose a gear closer to 5.29.

But that's just my opinion.

Good Luck, Mel

• 2 months later...

:o If you ever remember one thing in your life, there is never a dumb question to be asked. There's just a few missing elements in your sumation of whats supposed to go on your car. :o

<_< After 30 years of doing this, my driver buddies still asked questions about what we can and can't do on cars we've owned for 7 or 8 years. :rolleyes: Keep your head up and ask the questions. These guys like to show off their stuff and will gladly help you. Be careful, because there are some who will try and throw you for a loop, just so they can stay faster. <_<

:) But hey, even these Sailors and Marines teach us old dogs new tricks! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Happy Racing and good luck! :rolleyes:

:ph34r: Dennis in the Desert (IRAQ) :ph34r:

;) P.S. We do get some computer time to look at this stuff and it's great. :P

:lol: Thanks Nick! :lol:

Archived