Gregg "Doc" Godfrey not Returning to CCMS

NickHolt

Corpus Christi, TX (March 13, 2006) - According to an Email received from Corpus Christi Motor Speedway, the current track operator, Gregg "Doc" Godfrey will not be returning to operate the quarter-mile paved oval in 2006.

Here is the content of that email.

"(The) Yocums have expressed a sincere desire to return to CC Speedway. I am not renewing my purchase option for this third year. Any questions need to be directed to the Yocums. WE WILL RACE THIS YEAR. Thanks, Doc."

In another message, Doc also stated that the "Run What You Brung" event set for March 17 and 18 has been cancelled.

---30---

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To all CCMS Thunder car drivers...........

I am sure that the news about CCMS maybe not resuming racing until June or later was bad news for you guys. I know how you must feel.

Well - here is some good news. The Texas Pro Sedans will be running a "Twin Features" race at San Antonio Speedway on Saturday night, April 15. One tow trip, one race night, one pit pass, two purses and two 20 lap feature races on the nearest asphalt track just up I-37 from Corpus Christi.

Upon your request I will send you the TPS Race Bulletin (with entry form at the bottom) and a 2006 TPS Membership Application form. You can also read these items on www.TexasProSedans.com

After you receive these items, please print it, read it, call me if you have any questions or just complete the two forms and mail them to me with a check for $70. If you don't arrive at SAS on April 15, I will refund your entry fee.

Also, we have several other interesting upcoming races. We'll be at Thunder Hill Raceway in Kyle on April 29, May 27 and Sunday July 2. We will return to SAS on July 15 with another "Twin Features" race at San Antonio Speedway and more races thru October 7th Octoberfast at THR and SAS.

Repeating, if you have any questions, call or e-mail me.

Thank you,

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

210/655-3222

Thunders you are all welcome at The Dirt Track - South Texas Speedway, it is only $25 dollars to register, you will be competitive with your car as it sits no tires no major changes (we have seen this already). You will not have to drive hours to compete at the "best asphalt track" you can stay here at home where your fans, sponsors, and families can enjoy the sport we all love so much.

Give it a try it won't hurt I promise.

Thanks Owen

PS, pay your pit pass get in and race and I will take the registration out of your winnings if that will help. Think of the money saving opprotunities right here in CC.

When the car count gets up to 20+ cars,and it will,we will have a barganing chip to petetion for more money.Just like we did at CC Speedway.And maybe we can have our run what you brung race on the mini stock race at the end of the year.Pappy,Mike,I know you guys know dirt and people are watching you guys,so be the leaders I know you are and lets get racing now.Dont let the Thunder Car program falter because of politics.We have a lot of competetion now against the modifieds,limiteds and touring classes for the prize money,but I know we can handle it.You can still do the Pro Sedan races and go back to CC when it opens.Its easier than comming out of retirement.LETS GET IT ON and show people what Thunders are made of. Thumper

CRT - there are no rumors, I stood in front of all the drivers in the drivers meeting and told them we would be suspending the heat race pay for now until we start making some money and the car counts come up. I can pay heat races and double all the feature purses plus not charge to get in but when the track is closed and we all have no place to race that is no good either. There are not very many dirt tracks anywhere that pay heat races, CC did and more power to them, I wll give as much back to the driver as I can but I have to keep the doors open. I have not made a single dime out of this dirt track, it all goes back into the future of the track and making the track last for years to come.

Racing nut, I love asphalt racing don't get me wrong, I just thought that was an uncalled for jab in a previous post. The best race track is one that is open and in your home town does not matter what surface.

Thumper I agree, no leverage needed, bring 20 cars and expect the payout to increase dramatically, as for our pay I think you know what other dirt tracks pay in the South and we are not that bad. I will give back to the drivers, not a problem, just let us survive as well.

i.didnt think neil was knocking any tipe of track just inviting cars .unless i cant interpret worth a darn . cc.will open agan .i have said before i like dirt .just inviting people to run sas.sometimes .heck neil get with owens .see if yah can get tps on the dirt .at the same time why dont some tps cars run down here on open night.we have talked about running some races on the dirt soon owen gb idont know what to say other than yah have fun i wish the best have a great time the way yah talk has got me thinking .i.ll never give up asphalt .but support you guys out there.

This is the way I look at it. If you wanna make money racing then you better try and get in Nascar cause around here its not about the money,its about racing and having fun. Im not in it for the money,Im in it cause I love the sport of racing. Thats all I have to say . Now lets go hit the dirt.

This is the way I look at it. If you wanna make money racing then you better try and get in Nascar cause around here its not about the money,its about racing and having fun. Im not in it for the money,Im in it cause I love the sport of racing. Thats all I have to say . Now lets go hit the dirt.

I agree, I do not race, but I am involved in racing one way or another and I can tell you I spend, spend, spend....But it's worth it. We all have a great time every week. If we win or lose everyone has a good time. I can speak for at least a handfull of people that are sure not out there for the money. I don't think it would be this much fun if we all got paid real well!!!!!!!!! Think about it????????????????

Come on boys "Lets go get dirty"

shrimp ived tried dirt just dont like it i raced riverside and golliad ( thought golliad was a great track if it would of been asphalt. ill be back in it very soon . but i think it will be my son racing but who knows. if people will quit taking my number maybe ill be back sooner

As far as money goes,thats exactly what I race for.Its simple math,no winnings,no racing.Because of various reasons,I have no budget.My racing depends soley on purse money to keep going.Take away 60$s for truck fuel and theres not a lot left for the race car.Thats exactly why I race Thunder cars.Its the only division a person can pay his way staying in the top 3.One year I sold my best ministock,hit my savings,and seriously raced my modified.In 3 months I spent over 5K and got the car to be a 3rd place car.The prize money did not pay the weekly expenses.Then my 347 hot rod blew up.Racing can be like gambeling,thinking the next 500$ will get you the success you need.I watched many people dig a large hole for themselves by spending too much.I learned that like gambeling,DONT SPEND WHAT YOU DONT HAVE TO THROW AWAY.It probably will not come back.I really miss running my modified but at least with my Thunder racing,Im still involved and could throw it all away without any financial recourse.So for me the challange is to win enough money to keep racing.Without the credit cards.And the modified stays in the barn until the day I have money to throw away and not miss. Thumper :ph34r:

gb same hear. i had to race for the money to. in order to.

run next week. in racing it kept me out of the bars .where the bartender did not give you a return of somewhat.that cost to much drinking .i believe stevens dad told him he could not afford both he chose to race .if your rich fine.

if not then you have to race for the money .what ever it is .while your having fun .i never made money in racing ..but i darn well made more than drinking.

btw i havent met a driver that does. not injoy getting that winning money .they are the first in line to collect

Well GB thats why i call you MR CRABS lol. If you get sponsors you dont have to spend much of your own money at. Thanx to my uncle's it was made possible for us to get sponsors. But still its about having fun not the money. Maybe you should try getting a sponsor to get your modified going then with your driving skills you can make the bigger buck like you like.

OWEN, GARY AND STS PERSONEL I HAVE SAT IN STANDS AND WATCHED THE RACES FROM THE SECOND WEEK YOU HAVE BEEN OPEN AND ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS YOU GUYS ARE DOING ONE HELL OF A JOB OUT THERE THERE HAS NOT BEEN A RACE OR (PRACTICE) FOR THAT MATTER THAT HAS NOT BEEN ACTION PACKED KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. THE LAST TIME MY FAMILY WENT TO THE "DIRT TRACK" MANY MANY YEARS AGO FROM WHAT I REMEMBER IT WAS NOT THAT GREAT OF AN EXPERIANCE, BUT IM NOT BULLSHITTING THESE DRIVERS PUT ON AN AWESOME SHOW AND HAVE BIG CAHONIES.I GUESS WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU HAVE BEEN TO A LOCAL 1/4 MILE TRACK AND HAVE HAD A CAR COUNT OF 29 MODEFIED CARS ON THE TRACK AT ONE TIME AND IM SURE THE CAR COUNT WILL GET HIGHER IN TIME. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB AND BEST OF LUCK.

P.S. I TALKED TO THE BOUNTY HUNTER AND LAST I HERD WAS HES ALMOST READY AND SEEMS LIKE HES GONNA HIT THE DIRT !!! SO THAT MEANS MOVE OVER "CHICKEN MAN" AND MAKE ROOM FOR US.WEEEEEEEEEEEEE :ph34r:

Archived