Swenson Tops Other Modified Racers In Special Race

Swenson Tops Other Modified Racers in Special Race

By Bruce Mabrito

$5,000 to win can be a reason to rub tires at 100 miles per hour for

some people.

Chris Swenson of Comfort and James Cole of San Antonio did that in the special "Big Dog Shootout" 100-lap race at the paved 3/8th-mile Thunder Hill Raceway recently. "At such a big race for us," the 32-year

old Swenson said, "it was expected that there would be some pushing and shoving. It was side-by-side racing on a one-groove track for the last 25 laps. James was always right there and he's a good driver. I think the fans saw a good race."

The 20-year old Cole missed winning by a car-length, after he had taken over the lead on the 81st lap, but lost it to Swenson when he went low to squeeze under some back markers and got cut off. "The right side of my car was black with Chris' tire marks, and we both were really hanging it out since this was the last race of the year and that $5,000 was on the line. Chris and I have raced a lot together and I don't mind running close and fast with him." Cole took home $3,500 for his second place.

About 10 Modified cars did not finish high enough in qualifying races to make the 24-car starting field and were put on trailers before the main event. Wayne Brooks towed from Bald Knob, Ark., and earned third

place in the 100-lap main. Ray Doyon of Natalia finished 11th, Barry Codling of Poth finished 12th, Chris Snocker of San Antonio finished 15th in his first-ever race, and Steve Johanneck, who towed down from

Litchfield, Minn., took 21st place.

Swenson reflected on the Texas Asphalt Modified Series after his victory. "TAMS is a good series. They're professional and they've done what they said they would do this year. I'll run with them next season and

probably run some dirt races also." In the 2002 TAMS 10-race season, John Heinaman of Corpus Christi was crowned champion, with Swenson second and Cole third in the standings.

Cole, who has raced a variety of vehicles in his five-year racing career, was out to win this open wheel race and said, "It was a bummer we didn't win, but with a five-year old dirt chassis that we adjusted for

pavement racing, I consider the second place almost like a win."

Archived