San Antonio Track List

racevw112

Here is a list that I have put together that shows tracks that have been or still in San Antonio area. I got some of the information from Allan Brown's book, other information I found on my own. Please feel to make comments to the information.

San Antonio Speedrome -- (1/20/1946 - c.2/24/1946) -- 1/5 dirt

Riverside Speedway -- early 1930's -- dirt

Alamo Downs Raceway -- 10/06/1940 - c.1941 -- 1/5 dirt -- Culebra Road was a horse track

San Antonio International Speedway; Hiway 16 Raceway; San Antonio Speedway;

River City Speedway/Raceway -- (1977 - present) -- 1/2 Paved

3.5 miles south of S. Loop 410 on Hiway 16

Texas Dirt Speedway -- 1/4 Gumbo -- 3.5 miles south of I410 on SR 16

(SE side of San Antonio) located at the Alamo Dragway

I-10 Speedway -- 1998 -- 3/8 Clay -- East of town on I-10 to exit 587,

then 1.5 miles south on FM 1604

Concho Speedway -- (7/04/1946 - 1948) -- 1/2 dirt

Devil's Bowl -- (c.12/05/1945 - c.1946) -- 1/2 mile steeple chase

Dragon Speedway -- (c.1/26/1936 - c.12/05/1937) -- (11/16/1941) -- 1/2 dirt

Exposition Speedway; San Antonio Fairgrounds;

Expo Park -- (c.1929 - c.12/06/1936) -- 1/2 dirt

Gravy Bowl -- probably 50's -- 1/4 dirt

Pan American Speedway-- (1/27/1946 - 1956) (1956 - 1964) -- 1/5 dirt; 1/5 paved

Jackson Road (old Austin Highway) -- now the site of a shopping center

Pan American Speedway -- (5/08/1965 - 1977) (c.1975 - 1977) figure 8 -- 1/4 paved

San Antonio Speedway -- (11/12/1909 - 10/26/1912) (4/17/1920 - 11/03/1922) (1926 - 1927)

3/4 dirt; 2 mile dirt

San Antonio Spill-Way -- (c.7/11/1947 - 1948) -- paved

Shadowland Speedway -- (12/07/1947 - c.1949) -- dirt

Sportsmen Park -- (1/27/1946 - c.3/31/1946) -- 1/2 dirt

Story-Wood Park Speedway -- (1937) (4/06/1947 - 1948) --

1/2 dirt located on Jackson Road old horse track

racevw,

that is a great list, but the total is closer to 40 or so facilities.

If we can get permission from Bruce Mabrito to publish his list, it will amaze you the number of tracks, where some of them were, and how big some were.

Guest RandyBorlace
I-10 Speedway -- 1998 -- 3/8 Clay -- East of town on I-10 to exit 587,

then 1.5 miles south on FM 1604

ok this track was around in 1998 and i didnt know about it? hmm... i believe i am going for a drive tomorrow.

ok this track was around in 1998 and i didnt know about it? hmm... i believe i am going for a drive tomorrow.

Save your gas, Randy; There ain't anything out there anymore.

This was a track that got no further than the oval being plowed in a field and a small sign out front.

I believe that Mr Yuchinski of Converse was the one trying to get it going. (you may remember a kid named Kyle Yuchinski racing asphalt a short time several years ago.)

The inevitable noise and traffic complaints kept this one from happening.

Guest RandyBorlace

name rings a bell, no clue how it was spelled either... did kyle race quarter midgets or something? it is pronounced "you skit skee " or something like that right?

name rings a bell, no clue how it was spelled either... did kyle race quarter midgets or something? it is pronounced "you skit skee " or something like that right?

It's pronounced "you chin ski" with the emphasis on the "chin."

I believe Kyle did race quarter midgets before moving up.

Nick Holt

Neil Upchurch can confirm this, but i think I remember Yuchinski racing TIDA a couple years; maybe early 90's.

Randy,

If you are still curious about the I-10 track, it was in the middle of this field:

I-10

This is the corner of Loop 1604 and Schuwirth road.

The odd shape piece of land on the left of 1604 is where it was at. If you zoom the image in, you can see the remains of the entrance road off 1604.

Now, here is another one you may not have known about. In the late 80's/early to mid 90's time frame, there was an oval plowed in a field about 3 miles up 1604 from the other one mentioned. It was at the bottom of the hill on the left as you are going north on 1604, just before the bridge over scenic lake. It now has soccer fields on it, and they are immediately to the right of where the track was. This one never made it past the plowed stage, either. It was here:

Unknown

The track would have been between the dirt road and the straight dark fence line on the left side of 1604. This is a mile or so south of Lower Seguin Road, and a couple miles south of Randolph AFB.

I was told at one time that Darrell Godfredson was behind this one, but I have no idea if that was true or not.

• 4 weeks later...

PAPA,

To be honest, I have not had time to get with him.

I'll try to find timw in the next week or so.

He uses to come on here, haven't seen him on the board in awhile.

Nick

Why didnt you ask him about the "LIST"? :blink:

Bruce and I have exchanged a few emails about the Bexar County Race Track research he has completed.

We're talking over a few things. Will keep everyone posted as things develop.

Nick Holt

• 1 year later...

Neil Upchurch can confirm this, but i think I remember Yuchinski racing TIDA a couple years; maybe early 90's.

Randy,

If you are still curious about the I-10 track, it was in the middle of this field:

I-10

This is the corner of Loop 1604 and Schuwirth road.

The odd shape piece of land on the left of 1604 is where it was at. If you zoom the image in, you can see the remains of the entrance road off 1604.

Now, here is another one you may not have known about. In the late 80's/early to mid 90's time frame, there was an oval plowed in a field about 3 miles up 1604 from the other one mentioned. It was at the bottom of the hill on the left as you are going north on 1604, just before the bridge over scenic lake. It now has soccer fields on it, and they are immediately to the right of where the track was. This one never made it past the plowed stage, either. It was here:

Unknown

The track would have been between the dirt road and the straight dark fence line on the left side of 1604. This is a mile or so south of Lower Seguin Road, and a couple miles south of Randolph AFB.

I was told at one time that Darrell Godfredson was behind this one, but I have no idea if that was true or not.

Most of the dirt work at I-10 speedway was done by Ed Forsite (the same person who built I-37 Speedway)

after all the dirt work was basily done Joe Yuchinski didn't have any money, so Ed had to pay the 17,000 in equipment rentals. So then Ed and Bennie Campbell went and built I-37 Speedway

tom what about this oval at 1518 and adkins-st. hedwig rd

Horse training, it's been there for years. The small oval is about the size of a rodeo pen.

All that area out there has horses and stock on it.

I got friends that live out that way, and my daughter is about 5 miles northeast of there.

They all laugh about the city slickers that move out there, thinking they want the country life, and then piss and moan about everything from the cow manure smell from the farm next door to the horse manure on the roads they have to drive around to the coyotes howling at night.

hey did you ever post that list of tracks some where or is Bruce still hard to find? lol

I see Bruce about every TPS race; he drives one of Mike Knott's cars.

And no, I never posted it; it is still his property, and it is his decision when, or if, it does get posted.

Archived