Bruce Mabrito's track history paper

NickHolt

This is pretty funny...I was just cleaning out my closet and found my old firesuit with "Bruce Mabrito" scrawled into the inside of it, the firesuit was dated '83 or '84 but was by far the best one UTSA had in '06! Anyways, it got me thinking about this thread. Seeing as how we've added pretty substantially to the list of closed tracks over the past decade and a half I'd like to see what else has come and gone around here. It may give me hope well again have a circle track within an hours drive of San Antonio again some day.

I have a draft copy also filed away with some old programs......keep in mind my Texas trails only begin in '84...So it was quite interesting for me to read some of the racing heritage around here...

Mr Mabrito, who has helped me greatly in my writing, put a lot of work into his tracks list.....and believe me after spending time compiling a fairly current track list for Texas, and surrounding area, is quite a lot more work than most people would do...

• 3 years later...

This is awesome news, Larry. Bruce and I have a handshake agreement that Lone Star Speedzone will make the 100% complete version available to folks for a modest price after the edited version is published in the San Antonio Express-News.

Bruce and I go back a long way. For several years back in the 1980s - early 90s, he was the Motorsports writer for the Express-News while I was the Motorsports writer for The San Antonio Light. And even before that, Bruce was the driver of the Vega Minis Stock that Johnny Ivy and I owned and campaigned at both Pan American Speedway and Paramount Austin Speedway in the mid-late 70s. We've been good friends ever since.

Nick

Have had a draft copy for many years; it is a good source of information about racing in the San Antonio area.

I have tracked down locations of most of them using this source and others. ya'll will be surprised to hear where some of the tracks were.

Looking forward to seeing his final rendition, and thanks to Bruce and several behind the scenes names that worked to compile this list.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived