Bruce Mabrito's track history paper

NickHolt

A few years ago Bruce Mabrito circulated to a few of us his written work on the history of numerous tracks in the San Antonio area and beyond. Most of the tracks I had never heard of and some of them dated back to the very early 1900's.

Does anyone have a copy?

Nick Holt

Well, I guess I was kinda hoping Bruce might give his OK to TXSZ marketing the publication for him. Not sure what all is involved in undertaking such a venture, but that information is something that should be out there for all of us to enjoy, doncha think?

How many pages is it, Tom?

And how did you end up with a permanent copy? The one he sent to me had very specfic instructions to pass it on to the next guy on the list he had attached to the cover.

Nick

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bruce and I discussed this once again about a month ago. Bruce is considering releasing the paper, but has some other options he is looking into. He promised me that TXSZ would be the first to offer it once it's officially released.

Nick

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I WOULD LOVE TO READ IT .... MAY SHOW SOME HISTORY OF A TRACK MY GRANDFATHER WHO I NEVER MET RAN BACK SOMEWHERE AROUND THE LATE 30.S OR 40.S IN SA ..I BROUGHT THIS UP YEARS AGO ..AND TEX OR BUDMAN GAVE ME SOME SMALLL AMOUNT OF INFO ON IT .... I BELIEVE THEY SAID IT IS NOW AN INDUSTRIAL PARK WEST OF SA ...IF I REMEMBER RIGHT .MY MOM WHO IS NOT WITH US .SAID THE NAME WAS DEVILS BOWL .SOMETHING LIKE THAT .....HER DADS NAME WAS CARL WALKER ..

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT .MY MOM WHO IS NOT WITH US .SAID THE NAME WAS DEVILS BOWL

The Devil's Bowl in San Antonio was located on Hwy 90(now I-10) just East of Ackermann Road. If you know where Insurance Auto Salvage is currently located, that was the location.

Devil's Bowl is the same track that some oldtimers around here refer to as a steeplechase track. It had a jump down one straight that caused the cars to become airborne.

It is not in the current revision of Alan Brown's book "The History of America's Speedways", but older prints of the book had a picture of Fred Elbel SR at that track in an open top roadster dated about 1946.

Click this link to see the basic outline of the track:Devil's Bowl

Relax PaPa, once you weed out all the 1 race motorcycle tracks and the 2 race horse race tracks it aint all that much.

I've seen Bruce's work on this and I will say it's more than you might imagine.

Nick

Relax PaPa, once you weed out all the 1 race motorcycle tracks and the 2 race horse race tracks it aint all that much.

I've seen Bruce's work on this and I will say it's more than you might imagine.

Nick

More than "I" would imagine, or more than anyone would imagine???????

If you have read his track history paper and felt there wasn't much there, that's your opinion and you certainly are entitled to it.

I would have to disagree with you, however. Bruce did some serious research and I was surprised at how many tracks there have been in the San Antonio area over the past century.

Nick

The longest tenure would be Alamo Dragway, about 33-34 years. SAS is second at 30 years.

A lot of folks know that there were two Pan American Speedways, First on Austin Highway, then second on Toepperwein.

But the name San Antonio Speedway has them all beat with three tracks over the years sporting that name.

SAS located on HWY 16 was the third one.

The longest tenure would be Alamo Dragway, about 33-34 years. SAS is second at 30 years.

A lot of folks know that there were two Pan American Speedways, First on Austin Highway, then second on Toepperwein.

But the name San Antonio Speedway has them all beat with three tracks over the years sporting that name.

SAS located on HWY 16 was the third one.

You are right again "GRASSHOPPER" You are wise beyond your years.You heed the words of your elders.

• 11 months later...

Archived