IMCA POINTS

doitinthedirt

Thanks Rick, I had been hanging around 5th in the country but had to miss the last 3 Friday because my son had baseball so we dropped to 9th, it'd tough racing two nights a week when you live 3 hours from a Friday night track, stay safe and hope to see Yall soon.

Joe

We're in the same boat Joe. 5 hours from Waco makes it tough to run on Friday when I'm working at he's at school. How can I get his school to recognize racing as a school sport? LOL. The 4-1/2 hour drive to Killeen is bad enough on a Saturday when I-37 doesn't run. As I understand he can still work towards the rookie points because in the end they take his best thirty nights and wins count for more.

For those that dont get the IMCA insider magazine here's the article on Cody.

First win comes sooner than expected for rookie Leonard

SINTON, Texas – Much sooner than he ever expected, Cody Leonard had to decide where to put the trophy from his first Smiley’s Racing Chassis Southern SportMod feature win. The 14-year-old Skidmore Tynan High School freshman led all 20 laps in besting a veteran filled field on March 24 at I-37 Raceway, in just the fifth start of his brief career in the class. “I didn’t think I’d win my first season at all,” admitted Leonard, who battled Johnny Torres and then Lawrence Mikulencak – who helps with his car – for the checkers. “I wanted to get some seat time and chase rookie of the year honors. Winning this soon wasn’t something I thought about.”

A track champion in gokarts, Leonard advanced to the local bombers, then to the pure stock class at I-37. Bill Pittaway liked what he saw in the youngster and asked him to drive one of his SportMods this year.

“It’s really cool to drive these cars and I wanted to move up,” Leonard said. “They’re a whole lot faster than a pure stock and they handle a lot better.”

Leonard sees action on two different types of tracks on Saturdays, running hurdles and a leg in the 1,600 meter relay for his high school track squad, then hurrying home to load the race car up and get to I-37.

“I really like the class,” said Leonard, already adept at balancing school activities with racing. “Maybe in a couple years I’ll take another look at racing something else.”

Along with Pittaway and Mikulencak, his crew includes his father Darin and Hunter Flanagan. Sponsors are Pittaway and CD Electric of Corpus Christi.

Leonard will receive a free flat tappet camshaft from Howards Cams for his efforts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOWARDS CAMS VICTORY LANE

Fourteen-year-old Cody Leonard became a first-time Smiley’s Racing Chassis Southern SportMod feature winner at I-37 Raceway on March 24. (Photo by Jamie Brabson, JB HotShots.com)

post-344-1336489105.jpg

Jamie,

Your a great photographer, they just had to make it fit i guess. Nice to see you in Killeen working your magic. Pics looked good.

It's all good. It was nice to try a new track but...it may be a while before I go back there to take pictures...LOL Thank you very much for the compliment!

Archived