Final Race at San Antonio Speedway - OctoberFAST on Oct. 18 & 19

debwill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Debbie Williams, debbie@sa-speedway.com, 210-685-0400 (cell)

Shown below is an important message from Brian Bohlen, Managing Partner, Unique Track Solutions, San Antonio Speedway

To All San Antonio Speedway Supporters,

On behalf of all involved at San Antonio Speedway, I regretfully announce that the OctoberFAST race, which will be held on October 18 and 19, 2013, will be the final event that we plan to host at San Antonio Speedway. After evaluating the past three events that have been held in 2013, we feel it would no longer feasible for us to continue to operate the track in 2014.

The extremely high overhead, along with the labor involved in putting on an event at San Antonio Speedway, has proven to be more costly than the track can support. Unfortunately, the attendance has continued to drop below 50 percent of capacity. This fact alone has made the operation of the track impractical. The property owners of the facility have been very supportive and have been willing to help in any way possible. In addition, the County officials have also been cooperative and willing to work with us. The fact remains that in order for the track to survive, it must be financially viable. To make that happen, it takes more people and cars at the track for every event.

We would like to invite all racers and race fans for one more special event at San Antonio Speedway, which is our OctoberFAST race on October 18 and 19. We will be sending out OctoberFAST race entry information to our drivers within the next couple of days.

In the past, tracks have closed with no warning, leaving both the racers and race fans disappointed. It is our sincere hope that everyone will take this special opportunity to visit San Antonio Speedway one last time.

Sincerely,

Brian Bohlen

Managing Partner

Unique Track Solutions

San Antonio Speedway

---

San Antonio Speedway is a 1/2-mile, high-banked asphalt oval track that's located at 14901 State Highway 16 South, San Antonio, TX 78264. Information on San Antonio Speedway may be found on the track website at www.sa-speedway.com or on its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/sanantonio.speedway.

---

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They get an A for effort. I only was able to make it to two (possibly three with this year's OctoberFAST) races, but loved as much as I did before 2007; just wish my life situation would've allowed me to turn some laps. Thanks to everyone involved in bringing the track back, even if it was for a little while.

Is there no individual or group out there that has a large sum of expendable cash and a crazy passion for stock car racing?Are all of those that possibly have the means to lose money on a very expensive hobby going to just let it fade away?I'm not asking anybody to throw away any of their hard earned income on a proven bad investment.I just can't believe with all of the things I see and read about people with the financial means to spend,spend,spend, that there isn't somebody out there with a large enough passion for this stuff to spend some of their 'extra" on what their passion is.If such a person or group of people does not exist, what does that say about the sport itself?Is it true that it is dead?

Is there a hero out there?

Dang, just got the charger going again and I know of two more that were built for this track that will be ready for the sept race. This was the first time I got to run at San Antonio and I see why everyone loves this track. Thanks for the chance to race here a few times. If it helps keep my purse. I'm sure others would say the same

Brian and Chris are incredible guys for giving the track legs again. These guys should be held in high ranking when we thing of great and important people in Texas racing. I am proud to be on their team and will do all I can to make the final show as unforgettable as possible.

Rodney

Is there no individual or group out there that has a large sum of expendable cash and a crazy passion for stock car racing?Are all of those that possibly have the means to lose money on a very expensive hobby going to just let it fade away?I'm not asking anybody to throw away any of their hard earned income on a proven bad investment.I just can't believe with all of the things I see and read about people with the financial means to spend,spend,spend, that there isn't somebody out there with a large enough passion for this stuff to spend some of their 'extra" on what their passion is.If such a person or group of people does not exist, what does that say about the sport itself?Is it true that it is dead?

Is there a hero out there?

THE GREAT FOLKS WHO WORKED HARD OVER THE LAST YEAR AND MORE ARE HERO.S BUT THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL .WE PULLED UP THERE THREE TIMES ONE IT RAINED OUT WE LOST MONEY BUT TOOK IT IN STRIDE AND MADE IT BACK FOR THE MAKE UP RACE AND THE LAST RACE .THE HEROS YOU ASK FOR ARE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU .BUT IF THE CARS DONT SHOW THE FANS DONT SHOW THE HEROS HAVE TO RIDE AWAY .SAD AS HELL BUT THE DRIVERS WHO COULD HAVE SHOWN UP DID NOT .THAT HURT .I KNOW THE RAIN OUT RACE PUT A HURT ON EM WITH HAVING TO MAKE THAT RACE UP ON NIGHTS THE OTHER TRACKS WERE RUNNING ..THE FANS SHOWED UP TO SEE LESS CARS .THAT I THINK PLAYED A PART IN THE NEXT RACE NOT HAVING THE FAN COUNT THEY NEEDED ..THIS IS NO SURPRISE ..I HOPE THE LAST RACE HELPS GET THEM OUT OF THE HOLE .AND LEAVE ON A BRIGHTER NOTE IN HOPES THEY COULD PICK UP SOME MORE SPONSORSHIP AND RECONSIDER .. BUT IT WILL TAKE A PROMISE FROM EVERY ONE TO SHOW UP ..

TO BRIAN .CRIS .DEB .STAFF .SPONSORS DRIVERS .FANS AND ANYONE I DONT MENTION ..........I PERSONALLY WANT TO SAY THANK YOU ........... YOU TOOK ON A MONSTER OF A TASK TO MAKE SOME OF OUR DREAMS COME TRUE ..TO KNOW MY SON HAD THE CHANCE OF A LIFE TIME TO TURN SOME LAPS AT SAS WAS ONE THING TO CHERISH .BUT TO WIN THREE RACES AT SAS WITH MY SON BRINGING HOME ONE OF THOSE FINE HOME MADE TROPHIES .PRICELESS ........AND FOR THIS OLDER MAN I ALWAYS WANTING TO TURN A LAP IN A RACE CAR THERE AND NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER GET THE CHANCE TO DO SO ..WELL YOU MADE IT HAPPEN AND NOT ONLY TURN A LAP A 3RD PLACE FINISH IN TPS WITH A SAS ROOKIE BEHIND WHEEL .... I COULD NEVER THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR THAT I COULD SEE HOW HARD IT WAS ON YEAH ...... JUST TALK TO JOSHUA I DID NOT REALIZE HIS CLASS WILL BE RUNNING THAT WEEKEND .DONT KNOW IF WE CAN MAKE THE 18 TH .BUT WILL THE 19 TH ..WITH THE CAR ..JUST HAVE TO WORK HARDER AT MAKING THE MONEY THAT WEEK .. BIRTHDAYS ON THE 15 TH AND 17 TH USUALLY KEEPS ME BROKE .LOL .. ILL WORK ON A GAS FOR BOTH THE TRUCK AND CAR SPONSOR ..ANY TAKERS LOL...

Yes , they should be held in high regard.They were up front with what they expected and I guess it fell short. CCS and CTS should learn from this.When the best and most popular asphalt track over the years had to struggle to get 10+ cars in most of the classes that is a sign.I hope TALMS and TPS get a lot of dates.They may be the only hope for asphalt racing in Texas in the future.Maybe the Street Stocks can form a Series set up to make it worth while to travel between Corpus and Kyle.

I'd like to thank Brian and Chris for what they have done and remind everyone that when the track opened a year ago no one thought it was possible then. It's the worst economey in 70 years, gas prices are 300% what they where 10 years ago, some vagrant stole all the lights from the track and on and on...and still they got it open. My families business has suffered and struggled through the past 5 years, the only way we are still standing is because we try to look at every failure as a new chance to change. Unique Track Solutions hasn't failed at keeping the track open, they gave it another few years. If someone else picks the track up and runs it then it will be this group that gave them the chance.

This race in October is OUR chance. Pack the place past the ends of the stands, let's put so many people in there it ranks in Texas town size. I'm going to help the guys we work with finish their cars and drag every breathing soul I can out there for both nights of racing. Let's fill the place up so big SOMEONE feels like they HAVE to keep it going. Call the news stations and the national magazines so they can see 6 or 7 thousand people supporting a track with "no future". They did their part, let's make them back some of the money they lost.

Dang, just got the charger going again and I know of two more that were built for this track that will be ready for the sept race. This was the first time I got to run at San Antonio and I see why everyone loves this track. Thanks for the chance to race here a few times. If it helps keep my purse. I'm sure others would say the same

You are the kind we are talking about! Now your car is ready, whatever dude.

You are the kind we are talking about! Now your car is ready, whatever dude.

Some people have other priorities like making sure they keep their job and feed their kids before racing. My families well being and future will always come before my hobby of racing. yes it's a hobby. I don't take it too seriously and I don't care about a trophy collecting dust cluttering up a shelf somewhere,or the purse. If I or anybody else want or can afford to race a few races a year there is nothing wrong with that and doesn't make me or anyone else less than you. Every track promoter I've talked to has always been happy that I can come out when ever I can Instead of never. It also not my job to keep the track open, that's the promoters job. My job is over 200 hundred miles away from this track.I also didn't see you sponsor me a motor when it blew the first race, or the rear end drive shaft and transmission that all gave away the 2nd race. And since I was still paying on the loan I took out to replace the motor, I couldn't seem to talk my wife into a second mortgage on the house to make the 3rd race and 4th race. I did register for this last race in hopes of making it but it didn't work out. For some reason the kids didn't understand that we could eat or buy race parts. Go figure. So if I'm the guy your talking about you have bigger issues than guys like me. But then you know everything so you already know that too.

Some people have other priorities like making sure they keep their job and feed their kids before racing. My families well being and future will always come before my hobby of racing. yes it's a hobby. I don't take it too seriously and I don't care about a trophy collecting dust cluttering up a shelf somewhere,or the purse. If I or anybody else want or can afford to race a few races a year there is nothing wrong with that and doesn't make me or anyone else less than you. Every track promoter I've talked to has always been happy that I can come out when ever I can Instead of never. It also not my job to keep the track open, that's the promoters job. My job is over 200 hundred miles away from this track.I also didn't see you sponsor me a motor when it blew the first race, or the rear end drive shaft and transmission that all gave away the 2nd race. And since I was still paying on the loan I took out to replace the motor, I couldn't seem to talk my wife into a second mortgage on the house to make the 3rd race and 4th race. I did register for this last race in hopes of making it but it didn't work out. For some reason the kids didn't understand that we could eat or buy race parts. Go figure. So if I'm the guy your talking about you have bigger issues than guys like me. But then you know everything so you already know that too.

There is some irony to...my family's well being...feeding my kids, and you can keep my purse.

There is some irony to...my family's well being...feeding my kids, and you can keep my purse.

No irony at all, he's saying the food he has to take away from his children before the race isn't offset by the purse after the race, but why attack him anyways? Some guys can afford to be on the track, some guys can afford to be in the stands...both need to be filled up on raceday.

We can devolve into in-fighting and the like or we can make damn sure the track is as full of cars and people as possible during OctoberFast so that everyone knows San Antonio DOES support it's track regardless of the certainty of it's situation. Not trying to call anyone out but anger, misdirected or not, won't keep SAS from becoming a Walmart.

I am just wondering what it would take for this Octoberfast to keep the track open.... like how many cars need to show or how full the stands need to be..... even if the numbers seem unrealistic I am curious to what it would take..... I feel that they have done an awesome job and so happy that I have had the opportunity to flag at this track after growing up on it watching my dad race the first time it was open... Its sad to see it come to an end again.... I told my wife... I was at the last closing of the track and hate to do it again but will be there again this time.... I hope that she will come back to life sooner than later again...

I am just wondering what it would take for this Octoberfast to keep the track open....

Just my opinion, speaking as a racer. Drop the two day show. The expense for two days of racing has to tax the track budget. Also a little higher for the cars that race both nights. Again its just a thought. I just think working on filling the stands one night instead of spreading it out over two seems more cost effective. Stop practice friday night not real long after dark to keep those fuel burning generators from using so much fuel. Also cuts down on fuel used over the weekend for racecars. I realize that cuts down on practice laps but after this whole year most everyone has had some time on the track. Losing 10-20 laps isnt going to kill anyone. Im sure there are several guys willing to race for less or no purse, that helps.

Honestly me and that track have a love/hate relationship but I dont want to see it close. I wish I had the bucks to give it some help. Good luck SAS

Cory Lovell

It would work if the turnout was like last years Octoberfast. For whatever reason that was the only time. I can say Thanks to the race teams that did support the track this year. If you didn't, don't get on here this winter talking about "If it was open, I will race there" Too late!

Archived