18th Annual Lakefest Drag Boat Races Sunday Finals 8/9/09

18th Annual Lakefest Drag Boat Races @ Lake Marble Falls, 8/7-9/09

By J M Hallas

Marble Falls, Tx. (Aug. 9th, 2009) Sunday capped off the big Lakefest weekend of IHBA Drag Boats with final eliminations in all classes, plus the run offs in the Gambler series(similar to Quick 8, 16 or 32 in regular drag racing).

The pit area was abuzz with activity with some crews still scrambling to find the right set up, or make last minute repairs, while others were only left with pre-race maintenance and prep.

Opening ceremonies preceded kick-off for the pro classes, as the crowd eagerly awaited the Top Fuel Hydro, Top Alcohol Hydro and Top Alcohol Flats. In other classes already having run through one round of eliminations.

Top Fuel Hydro Round 1

Top Fuel Hydro round one, was more like top upset as two of the three top qualifiers found themselves on the trailer early. Scott Lumbert, the number six qualifier who could barely get down the track Saturday, laid one on top qualifier John Haas. In the second pairing, Daryl Ehrlich, number two, shut off early giving the win to Jarrett Silvey coming out of the number five spot. Doug Verstuyft was the only top qualifier to survive round one, getting past John White who went red at the start.

Scott Lumbert, Spirit of Texas, 4.70 @ 240.14

John Haas, Speed Sport Special, 5.07 @ 182.92

Daryl Ehrlich, Problem Child, N/T

Jarrett Silvey, Hot Licks Bullett, 5.33 @ 199.34

John White, Disorderly Conduct, 6.46 @ 108.02(red light)

Doug Verstuyft, Nitro Chicken, 5.04 @ 217.64

Top Alcohol Hydros Round 1

In Top Alcohol Hydro round 1, Kent Price took easy bye round win, while Buzzy Boose caught a break after Mike Fry red lit

Kent Price, Black Draggin, 5.73 @ 185.04

Bye

Buzzy Boose, Bad Moon Rising, 5.79 @ 172.64

Mike Fry, Mean Streak, 6.42 @ 172.54 (red light)

Top Alcohol Flats Round 1

Hometown driver, Marcus Kinsey scored a big win putting a hole shot on number two qualifier, Jerry Davis as the first pair of Top Alcohol Flats went down the track. Steve Westerfield got the uncontested win over Andy Dement, who broke on the line. Don Bausher, took the green on his bye run, then coasted to the docks.

Marcus Kinsey, Bad Company, 7.19 @ 149.10

Jerry Davis, War Party, 7.13 @ 154.74

Steve Westerfield, All Lit Up, 6.90 @ 162.26

Andy Dement, Red Alert, N/T

Don Bausher, Habit Forming II, N/T

Top Fuel Hydros Round 2

Neither of three boats in the Top Fuel Hydro class made a complete run in round 2, with Scott Lumbert, on bye run, getting out of the water just after launching and shutting off. Doug Verstuyft ran to half track while Jarrett Silvey shut down after hitting the throttle.

Jarrett Silvey, DNT

Doug Verstuyft, 5.92 @ 125.28

Scott Lumbert, DNT

Bye

Top Alcohol Flats Round 2

Hometown driver Marcus Kinsey took another big step towards the finals in a most unlikely way. Kinsey left too soon bringing the red light on, but Steve Westerfield was unable make a run or breaks the beams in five seconds giving the win to Kinsey. Don Bausher had round 2 bye and shut off just past half track.

Steve Westerfield, DNT

Marcus Kinsey, 8.92 @ 71.74

Don Bausher, 8.21 no MPH

Bye

Top Fuel Hydro Finals

An all Texas(boat) state final round pitting Doug Verstuyft out of San Antonio against Scott Lumbert from Creel Springs, Ill. Lumbert left first by .017 margin, with Verstuyft closing at half track. Verstuyft then began falling off at the finish giving the win to Lumbert in the Dave Kirkland owned, Young Brothers Fire Protection, Synergyn Oil, Kirkland Sales, Texas Nation Steakhouse, Watercaft Hull, 500ci TFX powerplant.

Scott Lumbert, Spirit of Texas, 4.92 @ 243.36

Doug Verstuyft, Nitro Chicken,, 5.67 @ 139.06

“It's a lot of hard work winning one of these races,” replied Lumbert. “Coming into the finals we had just had some major issues in semi's, but fortunately had a bye run. We just had to hang with it, be patient and thank we've got a good crew and several mothers chipped in to help. We're just a big family out here. That's what I love about Drag Boat racing.”

“We had trouble with the belts coming off in qualifying after changing props last race in High Point, N.C. The biggest thing we did to change things around was adjust our fuel curve and down the track she went.”

“Everybody hates to stand out there and wait for the wind or fixing the timing lights. The biggest thing is fighting that wind just (holding) on the rope. I hated to see Don(Bausher) crash, he's a good friend, and I'm glad to hear that he's OK. If things like bother you, then you shouldn't bother to climb in the seat. You just have to keep your mind on the job. Once that motor fires, you had better be into it, or just shut it off.”

“I got this ride from knowing David(Kirkland) over 20 years. I was a kid when In first met him and he and his partner built a boat that my dad drove for them. We've been friends and raced against each for years until he got out of racing. When he got back in he needed someone and I was out of a ride. One hingled to another, and here I am.”

Top Alcohol Finals

With both Kent Price and Buzzy Boose running 5.70's in round 1 it set up a close battle with the outcome perhaps coming from a good or bad starting line reaction time. Price, the current points leader and defending class champion, got the win as Boose got out of shape and crossed lanes near ¾ track.

Fuzzy Boose, Bad Moon Rising, N/T

Kent Price, Black Draggin, 5.82 @ 202.78

Top Alcohol Flats

It would be David versus Goliath in the Top Alcohol Flats finals, with local driver Marcus Kinsey , in his first ever final round, against on of the hottest boats to date piloted by Don Bausher. Bausher, the current points leader and defending event champion, was out front first and coming to the traps bounced, hopped and rolled though the finish lights taking the costly win.

Don Bausher, Habit Forming II, 6.84 @ 135.26

Marcus Kinsey, Bad Company, 7.17 @ 151.12

Pro Comp Eliminator(dial in)

In a good side by side race that saw both drivers eventually break out, Randy Ball scored the victory over Dave Lipinski, the 2008 event winner and defending class champion.

Randy Ball, Lucas Oil, 7.92 @ 114.12

Dave Lipinski, Hot Shot Hydro, 8.87 @ 102.72

Pro Modified(7.00 index)

In a classic Ford versus Chevy battle, points leader, Vic Esposito's Chevy powered boat took the win over Brian Sanders.

Brian Sanders, Hydrocondriac, 7.24 @ 165.04

Vic Esposito, Freak Show, 7.03 @ 166.34

Pro Eliminator(8.00 index)

Jerry Hardwick got the win early after Brian Schmidl shut off at half track when he popped the burst panel.

Brian Schmidl, Smokin Aces, 11.36 @ 45.30

Jerry Hardwick, Texas Red, 8.14 @ 130.72

Top Eliminator(9.00 index)

Dallas Collier got the win at the finish line when Steve Prewitt ran too quick and broke out.

Dallas Collier, Another Temptation, 9.11 @ 116.58

Steve Prewitt, Hold my Beer and Watch This, 8.93 @ 110.74

Modified Eliminator(10.00 index)

This final round saw two former and multi-time champions face off with last years winner and current points leader, Bob Prigmore getting awarded the victory after Greg Carr broke out.

Bob Prigmore, Abracadabra, 10.08 @ 97.84

Greg Carr, Ain't Scared, 9.97 @ 95.18

Stock Eliminator(11.00 index)

2008 class champion, Jay Johnston gave away any chance of winning when he lit the red light earlier than Mike Allbright handing the victory to Allbright.

Jay Johnston, Just 4 Fun Too, 12.41 @ 91.40

Mike Allbright, Wat'er the Odds, 11.04 @ 88.58

River Racer

Justin Niesner, Capitol Punishment, 12.25(12.15DI) @ 87.20

Skully Alley jr., Rock and Roll Hootchie-coo, 12.86(12.50DI) @ 76.24

PWC1

Cody Gray, Say When Again, 20.22(20.18DI) @

Tyler Robles, Little Borrowed Money, 22.80(22.70DI) @ 39.72

PWC2

Glendon Boehme, Bad Manners

Mallori Carroll, Malfunction

Gambler

Mike Schovanec, Sweet and Sassy,10.20(10.20DI) @ 101.68

Mark Creel, Playtime, 10.96(10.90DI) @ 91.36

Second Chance Race

Tyler Tutle, Tutle Vision, N/T

Bill Mason, Alli Cat, (unable to make race after being thrown out of boat in Semi's)

Being a relative "newbie" to the sport of Drag Boat racing, and coming primarily from a circle track background I wanted to find someone who could translate the ins, outs and nuances of Drag Boat racing versus Circle Track racing. Seemed logical that my pick would someone with a knowledge of both.

Basically a hometown driver, Granite Shoals', Marcus Kinsey once cut his driving skill on the 1/4 and 3/8 mile paved tracks in the Austin area, Longhorn Speedway and Thunder Hill Raceway(Kyle). Marcus started out in Street Stocks at Longhorn before it closed, then moved over the Thunder Hill Raceway, eventually moving up to Late Models before making the jump to (pavement) Drag Racing and Drag Boat Racing.

"The biggest adjustment I've had to make as a driver transitioning from circle track racing to drag racing is cutting a good light.' replied Kinsey. "In circle track racing they just wave the flag and you follow the person or go by. In drag racing it's all about getting off the line first, without red lighting. When I first started they used to call me Mr. Red Light. Now that I've been in this a while I've gotten better at cutting some good lights. That gives me an advantage over other guys that may be faster than me in speed. They may not push the light because they know my boat's a little slower and they can come around me."

"After switching from a small block to a big block I've had to re-adjust my timing on the light. You have to just go out there and feel it. The lights count down from nine to zero on our side of the tree. You can leave anytime between nine and zero for the rolling start. When I ran my small block it actually left a lot straighter and flatter, so I left on five. In this boat, even though it's a lot faster, it pulls a big "wheelie" out of the hole, so I have to leave on six now."

"On a good weekend, one that you just go down the track and everything is fine, we probably spend about $2,000 a weekend. That's if nothing goes wrong. If something does go wrong, it depends on how bad it went wrong, but I guarantee you nothing on that boat could be replaced for $100."

"When the lake gets a little choppy like we have today, it's all in the feel of the driver. In have a plate in the boat that I can ride and adjust the attitude (of the boat). If I get the plate down it helps keep the front end down so it rides better on the water and doesn't get too high and go crazy.

"There's a lot of extra incentive for me to do good at this race since it's in my back yard," added Kinsey. "My whole family gets the chance to come out here and it's really exciting for them to get to see what I do. Most of our races are out of town, with the next closest one being about several hours away. We try to bring everything we have to this race and be able to perform for my family and the local fans."

After the first two rounds of eliminations Kinsey found himself in his first ever Top Alcohol Flat final by taking a holeshot win in round 1. He then caught a big break when he lit the red lamp in round 2, but his competitor failed to break the beams within a five second time limit, giving him the win. In talking to him before the finals, Kinsey said, “I'm just going to try to cut a good light and make a good, safe run. I know Don's(Bausher) boat is faster and if he doesn't make a mistake he should win. Maybe I can get a couple tenths off the line and hope he can't catch me.”

“This will be the first time that I've had a healthy boat going into a final round. I've made the finals in a different class, but my boat was only running on six cylinders. Strangely enough my competitor that race only had seven. We tried to play some games on the lights, but it didn't work out.”

Kinsey, who seemed to be close to all the action during the weekend, watched from the dock as Bill Diez destroyed his boat in the qualifying run right after his. Then in the finals, was along side Bausher when he crashed right beside him.

“I never saw him(Bausher),” commented Kinsey. “In these capsules you can't see out the side. My dad told me on the radio that he crashed. I'm just glad to hear that he's doing alright. It is what it is. You try not to think about that stuff or you shouldn't be doing this. I've crashed before in another open cockpit class. After that my family and I got together, talked and bought a capsuled boat. These capsules are built to break-away and your chances are a lot better if something happens”

“I did what I said, went out and made a safe pass. The boat's not hurt, the motor's not hurt and I'm not hurt. All in all, I consider that a good weekend for our team.”

For more information about Marcus, the Bad Boyz Race Team or if you just want to keep up with his travels and racing across the country, check out www.badcompany079.com

Owner: JImmy Kinsey

Mako Top Alcohol Flat with a 5/8th runner bottom

557 Arias Fontana Alcohol Engine

1471 Blower

Best time to date; 7.15 second @ 155 MPH

Sponsors: J&M Kinsey Plumbing

Ty Claiborne Racing

Texas FABCO

Farmhouse Restaurant

El Rio Food & Fuel

Travis Pest Control

Waggoner Tire

RSC Rentals

KTJ Inc.

Snap On

Reb, thanks for the coverage of these races. It was cool to read about Marcus' run to the top this weekend. I remember well the days when we were racing against him in the THR street stocks. They always had some beautifully built cars.

Congrats to the Kinsey family for a good weekend of racing.

Glad I could help share it.....I had a blast!!!

It was cool talking to Marcus all weekend.....would have made for a great "Cinderella story" had he won.....If that guy he ran in the finals had crashed a couple hundred feet sooner, might have been a different outcome.

Those capsules are sure lifesavers......but those open cockpit boats, with no belts holding them in scared the $#!^ out of me(safety-wise).....Some had parachutes strapped to thier back......but still :unsure: Glad the two guys that crashed big time and the two that got thrown out of theirs boats were all OK. Anyone that's ever water-ski'ed can attest to the fact that water is actually VERY hard!!!

Saw several other circle trackers out there....Moe Van Kirk, Mark Pivarnik, Sonny Jones(the kerrvert gang--lol) and Billy Becka.......

I like the fact that they dont have "#" on the boats just names. Some are really cool names. Maybe the circle track guys and gals should try that. I've got a few names for some of the cars but dont think I can post them without Nick getting involved. Monster trucks do the same thing. This might not be a bad idea. When there is a "Monster Truck" event the people (mostly the kids) want to go see "BigFoot" not the "#93". We need to put names on the cars to draw more attention to them. Sorry for hi-jacking Jay.

If you go to dragracingonline.com and go under the Agent 1320 they have a picture slide of one of the crashes in Marcus's class. Me and my father crewed on a super comp drag boat in the 90's for a friend of his and the name of his boat was bust-a-nut and that boat ran low 9's to high 8's. The boat won a race in Waco. I know its scary Reb seeing those guys with out belts but it is better to be thrown from the boat than stay in it when it desenegrates. You know Eddie Hill still own's the record for the fastest man on water when he ran Top Fuel Hydro's before capsules and he came crossed the finish line before his boat at over 200 mph. Needless to say that was his last race in a drag boat.

I took Bust-a-nut,made it into one word ,Bustanut, and named the boat.Then my partner Mike trademarked the name at the time and a friend helped us by giving us boxes of tanktops,tshirts and koozies with pic of the boat and the name plastered on em we could sell at the races to support the boat habit.we sold alot of em too.

No hi-jacking done Papa...I thought all the names were pretty cool too.....but they do also have numbers(1-4 digits) for scoring purposes.

Ya Josh I understand the reasoning, don't want anyone going down with the ship.......found it interesting that some boats even had two seats. Now I've cajones enough to ride in the SAR two-seat dragter(several times).......but I'm not so sure about one of those boats.

Here's a pretty cool vid of that event. Funny thing is, for each of the last three years now, I've driven over the bridge that overlooks this thing on Saturday afternoons on my way to THR. Guess I'll have to stop sometime and take a closer look. :)

Here is your ------->

Budman,

I had the honor of getting to speak with Duke in the pts on Saturday. We talked about his filming at THR and some of the stuff he had already done at the drag boat races. Good Stuff there Duke!

Mark

I thank you kindly Mark!! I have 4 vids up so far on the weekend. I had a Great Time and have been invited back next year by the Chamber of Commerce. Everyone From the Owners ,Driver and Crews, even the folks working the gate were so nice and open to me. It was my first time there and there was so much going on it was hard to know were to be. I have been asked many times did I get footage of the crashes and the answer is no and in away I am glad I didn't. That was not what I can for. I know that sounds funny and it is sure not that I wouldn't have taped them if I was in the right spot at the right time. I came for the people and I was trying to tell a story within that first video I did of the Bravery and Courage of the Drives as if they were going of to war and the little girl at the fence was meant to signify all they put on the line ever time they line up. I know it's a little crazy but that is the way my mind works when I am doing one of my art pieces. I also have one from the Show and Shine and a Crazy time=lapse one and one of a Topfueler launching. I am always looking for things to shot that aren't to far from Austin say 100 miles so keep me in mind!! Duke http://www.youtube.com/user/TexasHighDef

Budman,

I had the honor of getting to speak with Duke in the pts on Saturday. We talked about his filming at THR and some of the stuff he had already done at the drag boat races. Good Stuff there Duke!

Mark

I thank you kindly Mark!! I have 4 vids up so far on the weekend. I had a Great Time and have been invited back next year by the Chamber of Commerce. Everyone From the Owners ,Driver and Crews, even the folks working the gate were so nice and open to me. It was my first time there and there was so much going on it was hard to know were to be. I have been asked many times did I get footage of the crashes and the answer is no and in away I am glad I didn't. That was not what I can for. I know that sounds funny and it is sure not that I wouldn't have taped them if I was in the right spot at the right time. I came for the people and I was trying to tell a story within that first video I did of the Bravery and Courage of the Drives as if they were going of to war and the little girl at the fence was meant to signify all they put on the line ever time they line up. I know it's a little crazy but that is the way my mind works when I am doing one of my art pieces. I also have one from the Show and Shine and a Crazy time=lapse one and one of a Topfueler launching. I am always looking for things to shot that aren't to far from Austin say 100 miles so keep me in mind!! Duke http://www.youtube.com/user/TexasHighDef

I haven't seen any of your video's, but from just reading what you have written - I like the way your "mind works."

Archived